The Cruel Realities of EV Range

TylerDurden

100 GW
"If the EV and battery industries want to avoid interminable litigation and untold reputation damage, they need to get honest with their stockholders and customers. They need to tell potential customers that they might get 4 miles per kWh of pack capacity on a good day, but can't plan on getting more than 2 miles per kWh on a bad one. They need to stop comparing the fueling cost for a brand new EV with the average economics of an aging automotive fleet. They need to stop dividing 12,500 miles per year by 300 days and telling potential buyers that 40 miles of EV range is enough when they know that customers will need at least 80 miles of reliable range to accommodate day-to-day variations and achieve an annual average of 12,500 miles."

http://seekingalpha.com/article/225208-the-cruel-realities-of-ev-range?source=article_lb_author

The comments are also worth reading... You need to click to see them; but no registration is required to read.

I agree, we've all learned by now, that even with good chemisty, we don't want to go around doing a 100% discharge every day. Charging at work would be nice, but the reality is that charging at home will be better for the grid, etc etc. So we need about 80 mile range in most towns, to do a typical day of 50 miles. I live 15 miles from work, but only a few errands and you get a typical day of 45 miles if I drive the car.

I wish they'd stimulate the economy by giving a bigger subsidy to buying batteries for an EV. Something like must be american manufactured, and $2000 one time only no questions asked. And up to $10,000 for the battery in a larger EV. The $2000 credit would even allow folks to buy a battery and resell it. That would put cheap batteries into the hands of bikes and scooters, and make a lithium conversion affordable.

That would be good Dogman. The other part that is tough is that after say 5 years of cycling your battery 5 days a week you are looking at 5-10k to replace it. That is when I'll need another rebate/incentive. Cause I know I don't spend 10 grand in 5 years on gas. Sad part is I probably spend 5k :| Damn, batteries don't have to come down much more to make economic sense ..

edit; I did forget about those pesky oil changes 4-5 times a year.

Back