Management Shakeup @ Zero - Neal Saiki Out

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/zero-motorcycles-fires-neal-saiki/

..just as Honda(?) is rolling into the electric motorcycle racing grid..

infineon-blur-635x424.jpg

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/racing/rumor-motorcycle-oem-electric-racing/

..let the rumors fly :wink:

Ouch.

Just like Martin Eberhard at Tesla Motors. A clean tech trend?

Neal's focus on using bike parts like the White Bro forks and bicycle brakes & rear suspension was appealing from a weight perspective but now that they are upping the power levels and even had a frame failure on the track it seems logical that they're using all moto parts now. Of course having road legal options is another reason to be forced to eliminate bicycle parts.

It makes all kinds of sense to begin developing an electric motorcycle to work well in the dirt, then transfer the surviving tech over to road-going machines.

In product lifecycle terms it's pretty common to see management teams "transitioned" as things move from conception/development stage to volume manufacturing and distribution etc. that require different skill sets. Often the innovators are not prepared for the changes that need to happen.
L

Lock said:
In product lifecycle terms it's pretty common to see management teams "transitioned" as things move from conception/development stage to volume manufacturing and distribution etc. that require different skill sets. Often the innovators are not prepared for the changes that need to happen.
L

Very true.

I've been caught in this position, when something I had a fairly big hand in designing (as a private project) ended up going in a direction I didn't think was right, on the basis of commercial/marketing pressure. This was principally a desire to limit innovation, because the marketing guy thought it would scare the market if it didn't conform to what was already out there. I chose to walk away, as I already had a full time job anyway. It did teach me that I am not the right sort of person to run a company, though.

Innovators tread a difficult path, particularly when they have to bring in venture capitalists to realise their dream and then aren't prepared to make the inevitable compromises. Pretty much as soon as they bring in outside finance they lose control.

The good news is that the team at Zero seems to be pretty strong, they look to have a good model line up for 2011 and they have enough financial backing to gain a foothold in the market. My guess is that they now need to consolidate, sell a whole bunch of bikes and gain that all important reputation in the marketplace, then they'll be all set for the next set of innovative developments.

Jeremy

Neil is not out. Lol
His wife had a baby around Chistmas, and he is taking a few months to play Mr. Mom. Not fired.

I certainly hope that he is just taking some time to chill with his family.. ..and has an exit strategy.

Considering Neal Saiki's background; designing stuff for Santa Cruz Bicycles, NASA and recently Zero, it would not be too surprising if he busted out some jaw-dropping electric mountain bike design - that astronauts could ride on the moon :lol:

Back