Changing Behavior: The Biggest Obstacle to Electric Vehicle

Lock

100 MW
Changing Behavior: The Biggest Obstacle to Electric Vehicle Adoption
http://seekingalpha.com/article/275...biggest-obstacle-to-electric-vehicle-adoption

Mostly about EV cars, but this part in his conclusion is fun:
I look back on my last transportation-related conviction - cycling as transportation. How did that work out? The American Community Survey tells me that just 0.6% of the working population, age 16 and older, bikes to work. In real numbers, however, that's not too bad. Of the 138,591,804 that make up that population, the government estimates that about 831,551 bike to work. If EVs can double the bike number over the next few years, that would put them past President Obama's goal of 1.5 million EVs on the road by 2015.

tks
Lock

I estimate about 80 percent of Americans dont know ebike exist. If there was more awareness and gas went above $5 more people would consider getting one.

Range anxiety + price.

You could go buy a decent used car for $10k, not have range anxiety, and drive it for like 10 years (/120,000 miles) before reaching the price of the Leaf. I understand wanting to "go green" but it just doesn't make sense when the range is so low and the price is so high compared to other vehicles.

Over $30k for less than 100 mile range is frocking stupid. Bring the range up to *at least* 200 miles for around $30k and I'm seriously considering it. If they could hit the 400 mile range I'm used to for around $60k that'd be a winner in my book.

If you like the seeking alpha blogs, I like the one by this guy, John Peterson about lithium batteries. He in not an EV optimist, but he is thought provoking. I also like the discussion comments at the end of the article. http://seekingalpha.com/article/288735-playing-liar-s-poker-with-evs-lithium-ion-batteries?source=yahoo

the LAW

I could take a nice 4 wheel bike slap on some electric motors and batteries for under G and be able to go 150+km at 60km/hr but the law won't let me.

I could take a nice 4 wheel bike slap on some electric motors and batteries for under G and be able to go 150+km at 60km/hr but the law won't let me.

Make it a motorcycle then. Instead of 4 wheels go with 3. That way you can get around the more stringent safety standards that apply to cars. And you can go faster...twice as fast. :wink:

Back