Brammo, Inc. begins producing motorcycles in Sàrvàr, Hungary

Lock

100 MW
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110629/BIZ/106290312
Brammo, Inc. begins producing motorcycles in Sàrvàr, Hungary
The Ashland-based company says its electric Enertia and Enertia Plus models are being built in a Sàrvàr plant

By Greg Stiles
Mail Tribune
June 29, 2011 2:00 AM

ASHLAND — Brammo Inc.'s quieting-riding electric motorcycles made assembly line noise Tuesday when the company announced it has begun production of its Enertia and Enertia Plus models at the Flextronics production plant in Sàrvàr, Hungary.

The company has developed seven models for 2012 and Brammo founder and chief executive Craig Bramscher said the rush is on to get all of them into production.

The company is following Toyota's manufacturing model, Bramscher said, by building bikes as close to the consumption point as possible.

"We have a significant number of customer and fleet orders that we will be fulfilling this year," Bramscher said.

"The number of (finished) units is still in the hundreds, but the back-order volume is greater than what we've shipped."

Bramscher said the first 100 bikes of every production model will be built in Ashland and tested before turning over mass production to its global manufacturing partner.

"Final assembly is a small part of a completed vehicle," Bramscher said. The Sàrvàr production line is capable of producing 660 motorcycles a month.

"This takes care of all of Europe for us," he said.

Within a few years, Brammo plans to manufacture its motorcycles in Europe, Asia and North America.

"We're almost two-thirds there," Bramscher said.

The company will announce its North American manufacturing site next spring.

"One of beauties of working with Flextronics is that we can scale based on demand," Bramscher said. "We're thinking in monthly progress instead of annually. The interest in our bikes is very strong and the issue is getting them to market and in hands of customers."

One of the start-up company's surprises has been the potential growth of its power packs.

"We thought for sure we would not be in the battery business," Bramscher said. "But we found through racing and research and development that we could actually build a better mousetrap around our battery packs. That's one of the reasons why we partnered with Flextronics so we could globally produce Brammo power packs. We're starting to get queries from other companies and it could definitely become a revenue stream."

He said Brammo's initial e-bike, Enertia, attracted experienced riders and neophytes concerned about carbon footprints. Its selection now covers virtually every taste.

"We've moved from niche to mainstream mostly through migration of technology around the batteries and gearbox and drivetrain."

The company has more than 30 employees at its Ashland headquarters and has posted openings for additional mechanical, electrical and software engineers.

"This is one of those events that looks small, but feels really big to the company," Bramscher said. "The electronic vehicle markets are changing and there is a lot of excitement with (California electric car makers) Tesla and Fisker. We're trying to get rolling as quickly as possible."

Reach reporter Greg Stiles at 541-776-4463 or email business@mailtribune.com

one of the major issues that the chinese discussed during wen's state visit to germany was what was translated as 'electro transport' meaning electric vehicles. no mention was made of a fatter mercedes for the chinese market.

Saab is on its death bed and the chinese are trying to keep it alive so they bring the marque to china too. they put up $13 million for about 600 new vehicles to keep saab alive for another month or so, until they can finance the purchase of the company.

At 660 bikes a month from this factory, they will only need it for a week to build a years supply for the world. :)

I'm just teasing, I love to see this and I hope it works great and they sell thousands and kickstart the revolution all over.

I planned on buying an Empulse/100 mile, but since they decided to put a 6-speed gearbox on all their products instead of continuing direct drive, I'm not so sure... I'm so spoiled by the lack of gearing on the Vectrix, and I like having both brakes on the handlebars, so my feet are out of the control mix.

There is a lot to be said for a finished, polished, warranteed factory bike. When it actually hits the shores (I had hoped it would be here early 2011) I'll give it a ride and see if I want it or to build my own, cheaper.

-JD

Giving the E-motorcycle at least 2 or 3 speeds helps the motor, controller, and battery heat, plus it helps battery range, which to my mind is perhaps one of the biggest reasons to have a trans since the allowable volume for a battery pack is a constant compromise for any motorcycle frame.

My most desired form is a planetary 2-speed integrated into the rear wheel, and a chain-driven non-hub motor mounted to the front of the swingarm. A 6-speed may be overkill, but if you choose to put a transmission there anyways, a 6-sp may be the same volume as a 3-sp, so why not?

Back