Oregon unveils ‘Electric Highway’

Kingfish

100 MW
Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Mil
A series of pit stops that allow electric vehicle drivers to charge up for free could change the way America drives down the road. NBC’s Miguel Almaguer reports.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nightly-news/48074602

Keep on rolling them out! KF

That's awesome!!! I can't wait until it hits WA! Our electric car isn't currently J1772 compatible... well it's not yet running... but I really hope I can use these in the near future! This is the kind of thing that will get people to start buying electric cars, when they realize that range anxiety isn't as big a deal as many people make it because there are many places to charge popping up.

lester12483 said:
EV Battery swapping at your local citgo should be the near future. Tesla should setup something with them.
That's the ticket! Lease your battery; hot-swap. Requires conforming to common standard shapes/sizes which might be difficult unless we can get early adopters to pony-up.

I can also visualize a nifty safety feature if cells go TU:
  • Captain! We’re losing field containment in Cell xyz!!”
    “All hands – this is the Captain: Eject the code, eject the core!”

OK, maybe too much Star Trek Voyager...
Live long and recharge, KF

a few months back I was surprised to see that the local Fred Meyer (kinda like wal mart for those who don't have them) had taken the closest parking spots and installed electric charging stations and reserved them for electric cars.

I go there all the time and have never seen a car parked/charging there.

I wonder if people look at those spots and think that it's bullcrap that if you buy an ecar you automatically get the best spots reserved for you and always empty in an overcrowded parking lot.

and what would happen if ecars caught on and there were 100 ecars and only 2-3 charging/parking spots.

seems like a nice gesture, but not well thought out and not very practical.

there is a gas station in the same lot that has a steady line of cars going through it while those charging stations sit empty all day :roll:

Kingfish said:

You know you have too many cells when you need a 3-character numbering scheme to keep track of them all :p

fizzit said:
Kingfish said:

You know you have too many cells when you need a 3-character numbering scheme to keep track of them all :p
Now I feel guilty: Last year on the road I ran 15S26P -> 390 cells
No way to eject that core. :roll: :) :lol:

Into the fire, KF

Back