3D Printed Bicycle !

Topics related to EV businesses
lester12483
100 kW
100 kW

3D Printed Bicycle !

Post by lester12483 » Jul 29, 2013 7:23 pm

3d printing is only in its infant stage. Its like the internet of the 1960s. I look forward to the future with stuff like this! :idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... mxjLpu2BvY
Last edited by lester12483 on Jul 29, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MT6 Hybrid- Electric Bicycle 48V
48V 23AH AllCell Lithium Manganese Battery Pack
http://www.chicagoelectricbicycles.com

cal3thousand
10 GW
10 GW

Re: 3D Printed Bicycle !

Post by cal3thousand » Jul 29, 2013 7:27 pm

lester12483 wrote:3d printing is only in its infant stage. Its like the internet of the 1960s. I look forward to the future with stuff like this! :idea:

[youtube]player_detailpage&v=hmxjLpu2BvY[/youtube]

To embed youtube, just include the last part after the '=' sign in the youtube link:
like this:
"[xxxxxx]hmxjLpu2BvY[/xxxxxx]"

xxxxxx=youtube

Get a Cycle Analyst and a Multimeter, you're still a noob if you don't have at least one of each.

Planning on posting questions or buying anything on this site? Put up your country (at minimum) on your profile. This is a worldwide forum and we haven't reached clairvoyance.

lester12483
100 kW
100 kW

Post by lester12483 » Jul 29, 2013 7:28 pm

Thanks !

cal3thousand
10 GW
10 GW

Post by cal3thousand » Jul 29, 2013 7:30 pm

lester12483 wrote:Thanks !

No Problem. Thanks for sharing. I put this on my "Watch Later" list
Get a Cycle Analyst and a Multimeter, you're still a noob if you don't have at least one of each.

Planning on posting questions or buying anything on this site? Put up your country (at minimum) on your profile. This is a worldwide forum and we haven't reached clairvoyance.

fizzit
10 kW
10 kW

Post by fizzit » Jul 29, 2013 7:31 pm

lester12483 wrote:3d printing is only in its infant stage. Its like the internet of the 1960s. I look forward to the future with stuff like this! :idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... mxjLpu2BvY
Considering that it actually exists, I'd say it's more like the internet in the '90s... or maybe computers in the '60s :lol:
-Colin
my first ebike, a freeride mountain bike, using a turnigy 80-85, castle hv160, and turnigy lipo:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 80#p607020

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW
Location: Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Milky Way. Age: > yesterday < tomorrow

Post by Kingfish » Jul 29, 2013 8:02 pm

^ +1 Good advice: Wait for Version 3. :lol:

Man was that bike wobbly. Those guys might be good at designing aircraft parts but they don't know dirt about bicycles. That bike probably had one more ride in it before they happily put it in a glass case never to be ridden again.

Thanks for sharing, KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports
* Primary ride: 2WD Disc 9C 2806-equiv / Dual Lyen 12FET / 20S7P LiPo.
* Epics: Going to California: 2011 8)
* 50-mph, 101, 10k-Club. 12,527 miles-to-date, 7037 as 2WD.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed.
The hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

lester12483
100 kW
100 kW

Post by lester12483 » Aug 04, 2013 11:20 am

Give it time. In about 10 years you will see small startup companies doing this and making some really cool locally made bikes.

Chalo
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Chalo » Aug 04, 2013 4:29 pm

Right now, 3D printing is the hot glue gun of geek tech. Which is to say, it's the tool that people seem determined to use for everything, even things it's no good for.

There are quite a few things that ABS is a great material for. Bicycles are an excellent example of something that shouldn't be made of ABS. The same general principle will still apply when and if fiber-reinforced resins and powdered metals become common 3D printing materials.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

mdd0127
1 MW
1 MW

Post by mdd0127 » Aug 04, 2013 10:46 pm

Turn it OFF!!!

Apocaloptimist! (thx Kiwi!)

bowlofsalad
1 MW
1 MW

Post by bowlofsalad » Aug 04, 2013 11:03 pm

They were clapping like he just finished his 50,000th mile on the thing.

I don't really know how to shortly put most of this idea into words without leaving huge portions out. Ideas surrounding economics, patents, and greed all prevent us from growing. No matter how amazing an inventor is, he didn't do it alone nor without the aid of progress of countless other individuals. It is with that fact that the idea of owning things seems superbly destructive. I think what I could use to summarize most of my argument with might relate to ideas surrounding basic income for all and perhaps a few ideas involving the re-working of the patent system. Even if I make an amazing new bicycle and try to sell it, someone else harvested the raw materials, shipping it to various locations, processed the materials, shipped them to me, made the tools, shipped those tools to me, and then theres the people who did things like maintain various parts of infrastructures, make and grow food and so on and so on. I guess it's strange how disconnected so many feel but how extremely connected we are. Everything is a remix and everyone helped you make it.

We make progress on technology many times slower than we could be.

mdd0127
1 MW
1 MW

Post by mdd0127 » Aug 09, 2013 2:45 am

Very well put. Industry is really slowing us down in a lot of ways.

Patents are a load of crap. All they do is make it possible for big money to keep running the show. Everything I've invented happened because I saw something someone else was doing or had invented and I either came up with a better way, or a way to utilize someone else's new invention in a new invention of my own. Where are my inventions you ask? They're largely stuck in my head. Why? Because, being a creative person, I don't fit into the worker bee mentality of society, and regardless of injuries, have a lot of trouble being satisfied with my quality of life when I'm working a full time job. Even if I could be happy working full time for someone else, finding a job that would fit me would be really difficult, maybe impossible. Why is that? Since I'm more creatively endowed than production endowed, my brain frequently tends to keep me up all night thinking about new ideas...sometimes for days at a time. Can you imagine working on some designs for 20 hours straight, then going to work and running a machine safely for 8 hours? I can't. Also, I've found that cannabis has a huge positive impact on my life. It helps me with physical and mental pain, helps me sleep, eat, and other things that others take for granted, and on top of it all, it boosts my creativity and drive. If I could find a job where I could come in and leave whenever I needed to and didn't have to pee in a cup, I'd go for it but I'm pretty sure that jobs like this don't exist.

This is where 3d printing tech gets me really excited. There are free drafting programs out there and cheap 3d modeling programs. Anything anyone ever wanted to know is accessible on the internet. So, other than money and actual part production, creative people have everything they need to research and develop ideas. If the 3d printing technology keeps advancing and someday we all have machines that can print whatever we can draw, the only drawback left will be the funding necessary to take the ideas public. There's a solution for that though. With a good design and an actual working prototype, it will be very easy for people with good ideas to get financial help through crowd funding. Then more people can start making their own jobs, on their own terms, and all of this corporate/industry/greed/patent BS can go the way of the dinosaur.
Turn it OFF!!!

Apocaloptimist! (thx Kiwi!)

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW
Location: Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Milky Way. Age: > yesterday < tomorrow

Post by Kingfish » Feb 14, 2014 5:10 pm

Fine Ride: World's First 3-D Printed Bike Frame Weighs Just 3 Pounds

It's a first: a bike frame created entirely via 3-D printing. Empire's prototype, on display at the London Bike Show, is solid (or rather hollow) titanium, and weighs just 1,400 grams — around 3 pounds.

Naturally, things like the tires, seat and chain can't be 3-D printed, but printing the entire frame is a big step. It's not printed out whole, though: The parts are made clustered together in a block by melting titanium dust with a laser, then bonded together.

Empire teamed up with additive manufacturing company Renishaw, and it took them about six months to produce the bike. Other companies have produced 3-D printed parts, but this is the first frame that's entirely made by this method.

Is it actually practical, though? It's just as strong as the Empire frame it's based on and quite a bit lighter, but the process doesn't exactly lend itself to mass manufacture.

So chances are if you buy a 3-D printed frame any time soon, it'll be a custom job and quite expensive. But a few years down the line, this may be both common and affordable.
Promising. KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports
* Primary ride: 2WD Disc 9C 2806-equiv / Dual Lyen 12FET / 20S7P LiPo.
* Epics: Going to California: 2011 8)
* 50-mph, 101, 10k-Club. 12,527 miles-to-date, 7037 as 2WD.

It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed.
The hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

Hillhater
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Hillhater » Feb 14, 2014 7:49 pm

A road race frame i might just see as a possible, but a full sus MTBis very different.
Can you imagine that seat post mount lasting after a few big jumps ?
And i thought Titanium had "been and gone" as a frame material ?
This forum owes its existence to Justin of ebikes.ca

jateureka
10 kW
10 kW

Post by jateureka » Mar 06, 2014 8:03 pm

There's more on that 3D printed titanium Renishaw bike frame here
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Worlds-fir ... ruary+2014

Interesting that it's actually easier to make from titanium than aluminium.
E-bikes: Bafang 8FUN; Mac; Ezee; FreeGo; Ibosa; Aprilia; eLation V2; TerraTrike recumbent
E-motorbikes: ZEV 7100 LR scooter, 84V 60Ah LiFePO4; Pending upgrades = Throttle Tamer & battery capacity meter.
ZERO 2011 S motorcycle, 51.8V 70Ah LiMno2, 2012 headlight, w'screen; Pending upgrades = Kilovac EV-200 contactor and 14 x Leaf modules for 132Ah pack
E-mower: EGO 56V mower & line trimmer
E-Power: 3.3kW solar array and Xantrax grid tie inverter