Wild TOYOTA Claims

"No one is coming to our door asking us to build a new electric car," according to Craig Scott, the company's national manager of advanced technologies.

Hold on, maybe it's just time to send someone to his door. Maybe a group of girl scouts selling cookies could bring it up to him.

Toyota is absolutely not looking for another product to have the Leaf level of sales. That small of a group adds up to noone. In calculus that's lim x->0.

I do believe BEV is more viable than hydrogen fuel cell. However, sales figures for Toyotas electric cars aren't exactly high. Whether that's due to deliberate restriction of the supply side, or a lack of consumer demand, I don't know. Whichever, they're nowhere near ICE car sales figures.

If numbers are what they are after, a 12 gauge power cord is going to be the recharge source most widely available and for most of the free loaders (kids charging off the folks when they stop by to do laundry and get a free meal) trying to drive cheap. The grid is setup already to handle 110v 20 amp circuits most every where. If you want immediate big numbers, you need to adapt to that. Hydrogen may or may not ever take foot due to lack of support infrastructure never mind the complexity and cost issues.

USA toyota has lost its focus. Clearly needs to be broken up into separate / competing divisions.

speedmd said:
The grid is setup already to handle 110v 20 amp circuits most every where.

My home has 230v 13amp outlets. Usually in pairs. We don't have anything smaller. The homes actual usage is diverse though. One moment it's nothing but a central heating timer ticking away. The next it's all the lights a 3kw kettle and a 10kw shower. With this diversity taken into account, the grid allows my house 3 amps. That's about 750w (or a horsepower) continuous. Local distribution would need a lot of work if everyone wants to get in at 6 and plug in a 5kw charger.

Most homes in the US have a 200 amp 220-240 volt or larger entrance panel. House circuits are mainly 15 or 20 amp 110 -120 volt. Stoves, heaters and the like are typically dedicated 220 V circuits. Adding a shop or garage 220 30A circuit is reasonably adaptation for a bit faster charge. If grid can not handle the rush, home battery storage can take some of the demand off the grid and tie into photo voltaic systems very well. Agree, a 5kw charger will be stretching many parts of the existing infrastructure, but most commuters can deal with a slower/ longer charge time. Driving smaller more efficient vehicles reduces the issue even more.

for the charging hot spot in my driveway apron, i have installed 4 separate locations in the corners of the apron and driveway.

for three of the outlets i use a 12AWG romex loop. the loop is tied back together under the front porch to the service panel which will have a 60A breaker. so i can charge up to 60A at any of the locations, or have three, up to 6, separate vehicles charging at 20A/240V.

the fourth location has 10AWG romex also buried under the concrete, and from that spot i can take up to 40A/240V. 2 vehicles can share that outlet.

so i could charge up to 100A/240V in my driveway anytime. i expect that eventually the charging will be divided between 6-8 vehicles parked in the driveway or on the street adjacent my apron where people in the neighborhood can leave their car parked overnight and allow everyone to charge at a more modest rate to conserve the total capacity of the power i can deliver to them.

so assuming a 14 hour charging cycle overnight, 336,000 Wh for each night and if they each get 140Wh/mile that is enuff each day for 2,400 miles total over all the vehicles. each day.

so distributed neighborhood charging spots can serve a huge base if they are ubiquitous. the problem is the city code restrictions on allowing people to implement solutions of their own which do not require installations by unionized electricians with all of the excess expensive equipment that the city requires in their code rules based on the (corrupt) financial interests of the EVSE sellers.

my charging spot is actually totally illegal and 1/2 is installed in the parking strip space that the city controls so it is totally illegal. which is the case for almost anything i need to do to improve my house and charging spot.

Back