No light rail in CA

In the USA, we find it's usually cheaper to export our environmental atrocities and worker abuse, and import the resulting products.

I know in California that it is a typical extortion tactic for many labor unions to have a team of lawyers raise environmental questions to delay or halt the environmental permitting process of many major construction projects.

Los Angeles County Supervisor and Metro board member Michael D. Antonovich accused labor leaders of "greenmail" tactics — using the environmental law as leverage to convince Kinkisharyo to promise that its workforce would be unionized.

why does that company need to secure water rights in order to manufacture stuff in palmdale?

i don't think the people living in california realize that this drought is just beginning and it is only gonna get worse.

since the farmers do not have to tell the state how much water they are pumping from the ground and the drillers do not have to inform the state water engineers about the qualities of the aquifers as they drill into them there is a hidden water table knowledge vacuum that is gonna make it almost impossible for the state to function in just a few more years of this drought.

it is amazing that farmers use colorado river water to grow alfalfa that is then shipped in containers to japan to feed the kobe beef. even more amazing that people are allowed to have swimming pools and there is still no mandatory water rationing.

it is like they are waiting until it is too late to take effective actions. most of the reservoirs are already drained.

The plant needs water. Why is that surprising?

The wells have meters, exactly how much is taken is known. Water useage for pools is an interesting issue: http://pacinst.org/water-policy-what-about-all-those-swimming-pools-in-los-angeles/

Things will only get worse in California. The bump in the minimum wage drove up prices more than 10%, since that is squared, cubed, etc., costs go up 21%, 33%, etc. And the fool governor has already scheduled for us to do it all again while he's still the fool governor.

California shall become impossible. Arizona on the other hand. . . .

Eclectic said:
I know in California that it is a typical extortion tactic for many labor unions to have a team of lawyers raise environmental questions to delay or halt the environmental permitting process of many major construction projects.

But why? What does it REALLY accomplish for them, other than feed their oh so hungry egos?

If you read the article, it's all about the labor union. Why would the union be concerned about "proper water rights" or "spores that carry valley fever"? They just use the environmental process to force large project into using union labor.

http://unionwatch.org/union-abuse-of-california-environmental-laws-goes-on-unabated/

"Without a doubt livestock has one of the largest water footprints on the planet. It may be hard to believe, but the standard American diet requires a whopping 4,200 gallons of water per day (including animals’ drinking water, irrigation of crops, processing, washing, etc.), whereas a vegan diet only requires 300. The easiest way to reduce demand for water is to eliminate the consumption of animal products.

A few years ago, former California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, visited Japan and China to get some "tips" on how to build high-speed rail. After years of debate, we're finally moving forward with the project. However, it looks like I won't be taking the high-speed train from LA to San Francisco till at least 2030. Things get built at a snails pace here in the US. In the same time it took California to expand the 405 freeway a few lanes, China built cities, new infrastructure, and high-speed rails all over the place.

I met an engineer in Bangkok working on their light rail project. He told me that no one wants to do business in California or United States in general due to the litigation nightmare they would be walking into. His firm also developed the subway system in Hong Kong; arguably the best in the world.

We have the funds, we have the talent. So whats the holdup? Why dose LA have subway car hand-me-downs form Japan from the 1980's? It seems like we would rather serve each other Starbucks and do paper work all day than make something useful. I still think California is great, we just need more guys like Elon Musk. If he can create an electric car company in California, then we can make a decent light rail system.

JamStrong said:
A few years ago, former California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, visited Japan and China to get some "tips" on how to build high-speed rail. After years of debate, we're finally moving forward with the project. However, it looks like I won't be taking the high-speed train from LA to San Francisco till at least 2030. Things get built at a snails pace here in the US. In the same time it took California to expand the 405 freeway a few lanes, China built cities, new infrastructure, and high-speed rails all over the place.

I met an engineer in Bangkok working on their light rail project. He told me that no one wants to do business in California or United States in general due to the litigation nightmare they would be walking into. His firm also developed the subway system in Hong Kong; arguably the best in the world.

We have the funds, we have the talent. So whats the holdup? Why dose LA have subway car hand-me-downs form Japan from the 1980's? It seems like we would rather serve each other Starbucks and do paper work all day than make something useful. I still think California is great, we just need more guys like Elon Musk. If he can create an electric car company in California, then we can make a decent light rail system.

Then: Trees. :mrgreen:
Now: High Rise. :roll:

Back