ebikessf.com recommendation?

wallypedal

100 mW
Several months ago, I corresponded with ilia about the unique needs we have for an e-bike based attachment for my son's wheelchair. We are about ready to take the plunge and order motor, controller, cycle analyst, battery and a couple other things as a package from him. We know that perhaps some of the components are slightly lower cost elsewhere - but we are interested in a package that will be supported from a reputable vendor.

Any reason for us to hesitate or have concern? This will be a high torque gear motor set up to run 48 V, using the controller he has in the package. I don't think I have read anything but good about them in the past.

Thanks, all!
Wallypedal

Not exactly sure what you are looking for here, but Ilia is a stand-up guy who supports his products 110%. Very knowledgeable and helpful. See my build in the signature that uses two BMCs from him. His wheel builds are excellent and last a really along time without truing or spoke maintenance. If you need a smaller wheel for some kind of clamp-on wheelchair contrivance, I'm sure he can accommodate you - even if you drop ship a rim to him.

As far as the gear motor kit is concerned - you didn't specify which, but the BMC motors Ilia carries are well made with outboard double-lipped seals on the shaft and a very good gear/clutch assembly. That said - the motors are expensive and the gear clutch replacements are pretty costly. If you ever need to replace the clutch, it's worth noting that off-the-shelf MAC clutches from EM3EV fit nicely and perform the same. The BMC, MAC, and the eZee motors share a common heritage and so some parts can be swapped...

Get a CA V3 - completely different animal than the V2. I would also get a CA 3-position switch from ebikes.ca (if Ilia doesn't carry them) to go with it (this is not the same device as a controller 3-position switch). I'm not sure if Ilia's BMCs have temp sensors in them these days, but if they do, the V3 can display the temp and back down the power to prevent overheating. The throttle adjustment to eliminate dead zones and throttle ramping to take the stress off the clutch make this a no-brainer for an extra $20.

I'll 2nd that. I've purchased from Ilia many times, and sent dozens of people his way. Purchase with confidence.

-JD

I bought a Schlumpf HSD from him in 2014. He was wonderful to deal with. It was an angsty process and he made it super smooth. Very responsive.

Back