please vote to rollback hazmat rules

ejonesss

10 kW
now that donald trump is president for probably the next 8 years if everyone talk to their state representatives and ask to push a bill in congress to roll back the hazmat rules for shipping batteries and make it international.

while we still need rules saying to prevent shipping batteries on passenger flights we want the rules rolled back so higher amp/watthour batteries can be shipped via ups or usps or fedex. without the need for you to be certified as a hazmat handler.

these are batteries not raw chemicals or nuclear waste and right now the rules are slowing ev and ebike progress.

thanks for your help.

Okay, FIRST I want to see which hazmat rules are getting rolled back. I'd rather not see the return of lead based babyfood.

The important thing is the carrying of too many batteries on a plane is small, vs. allowable radiation levels on farms. One of the great problems of government overreach is that they'll fight tooth and nail to protect even the most stupid laws which then causes EVERYTHING to collapse once the fools causing the problems are finally defeated. u

i dont know if you read this correctly it is NOT a saying that they are rolling back but a suggestion for everyone to talk to their state representative to push a bill to get the rules rolled back.

What is the problem with these, seemingly sensible, set of rules? How are they preventing the development and use of EVs?

I'm assuming there's more to this than you want cheaper shipping on a Chinese li-ion battery from Alibaba...

cost it costs for example more to send a tesla module made of 444 18650 cells because of the hazmat rules for ground shipping than to send it normal ground shipping.

i think if the rules was rolled back to abolish the requirement that you need to pay for hazmat training just to pack a battery into a box and send it.

also you have to be a hazmat certified shipper to ship the the package.

i think if the rules was rolled back just to eliminate the training costs and certification it could encourage more of us to ship batteries.

i am not asking for abolishment of the rules for air shipping just the rules for ground shipping.

so as long as you cover the terminals with a wood block and place in a wooden box of your own construction you should be ok

Back