Collection of ebike pictures

fechter

Administrator
Staff member
This thread is sort of an experiment to pull together a bunch of posts from other threads.

Just the eye candy without all the discussion... :wink:

Post your wonder-bike's before and after pics. See if we can guess which is the before, and which is the after. :)

I'll go first. Who's ever the first to post indiscernible before and after photos wins the 1st annual "most stealth" contest... just have to figure out how'd we know if the 'after' was really not also the 'before' :)

Edit: added photo for ebike revision #2.
Edit: added photo for ebike revision #3, 20" wheel.

img_2413_132.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1764.jpg
    IMG_1764.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 16,749
After !

Alot more has changed since.

I've added a handlebar High/Low switch to go between 406/409, with a 3PDT relay and a single speed 20 amp 72v controller.. ( soon to be bumped up to 30 amps ! )

I have broken the battery pack down ( to replace a reversed cell ) and am frame mounting one of the 36v 8ah Nexcell packs, the other one will be mounted under the rear rack, as low as possible without hitting the tire when i Jump this rig !

I've only got picutres of my original friction roller bike (which worked bloody well except for in the wet). It was a beast, climbed better than even my Kmart ebike, but over about 33kph you were driving the motor so it was hard to pedal over that. No controller, just a relay and switch. All or nothing!

It went through a few revisions (and a motor that was too weak) before I finished it to my satisfaction. Motor is from an electric wheelchair that had stripped the gearbox. I cut the gearbox off and machined the face of the motor back. Ran for 300km before I went too fast down a hill and threw a winding out :cry: Converted it to a hub motor after that.

Before:

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 16,571
Here's some photos of my bottom bracket drive (just to show I'm capable of engineering something more complex than a friction roller 8) )

Don't have a proper "before" shot, but this is pretty close. Just use your imagination.

Attachments

• mount_on_bike.jpg
    mount_on_bike.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 13,734
After (note yummy Suntour forks. I had to hack a threaded steerer in there because it came with a threadless one. Still, not bad for $60 off ebay).

It topped out about 45kph (28mph) I think it could go faster but my legs were having trouble keeping up. Would have climbed vertically up a wall if it could get traction. 7Ah batteries were dead within about 3km because I was using a 40A controller!

Here's a shot of my automatic, spring loaded chain tensioner just because I'm proud of it :lol:

Attachments

• tensioner_closeup.jpg
    tensioner_closeup.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 13,716
Before:

IMG_4730.jpg

IMG_4734.jpg

IMG_5109.jpg

During:

IMG_5133.jpg

IMG_5132.jpg

IMG_5216.jpg

IMG_5206.jpg

After:

3d8b0a96.jpg

d16eeddc.jpg

Bike de Merde was about as practical to pedal as a moped, although I could cut back on energy consumption by doing so. Thing is, instead of being an e-bike proper, it was just an e-motorcycle with pedals. At >40 kg it really handled like shit, it was hard to carry it over any sizable obstacle, even for a flight of stairs I would find myself taking huge detours by the roads because it was too uncomfortable to haul it up (or down) the stairs. It was incapable of passing more then one stair while being ridden, and even then had to be almost stopped to do it, otherwise it was impractical to use shortcuts and other such things that make bicycles so great and otherwise different from motorcycles, that are essentially condemned to ride on the road. It wasn't fast enough to be a good motorcycle either, so it was really just the worst of both worlds.

But I don't want a motorcycle, I want a bicycle. So the goal for next winter is to reduce weight as much as possible so as to have something that actually rides like a bike, in spite of having the power assist, and that means that although it was quite educational, it's the end of the line for this cro-mo frame. R.I.P. Bike de Merde.

First, thanks to
My local bike shop, "The Bike Shop" in Richardson Texas. Most of the accesories, including the tires, fork, rims, bags were purchased there.

KTA services, I purchased my motor, controller and wiring here. I had to call Ken a couple of times, answered all of my questions completely.

EV Tech, I went to their office in Addison TX, which, at the time I thought was a showroom. Doug Canfield was there and was very interested in what I was building. He steered me to using the odyssey battery. He showed me his hub motor, battery pack that was in his office. I explained to him that I wanted to build something along the line that Eric Peltzer had done. Doug got on the internet, looked at Eric's bike, suggested I use the above battery. We went outside where Doug had his bike in his truck, He pulled it out and said ride, my first electric ride. This was last July in 100 degree weather. His bike is as advertised. I was impressed, rode it around the parking lot several times, power, acceleration, handling, but whoa, $2000. This bike was used and abused, it had a lot of miles on it. I am 6' 1", Doug towers over me, he's pretty big, Pro football size, when he advertises that he has tried to kill this motor, he means it. The bike is light, very light, it handles like a well built mountain bike should.

After building my 1st bike, with speeds close to 30 mph, the raliegh was very twitchy, I was too high, the front end would not track, I could not hold a line and did not feel safe. I put an old rst suspension fork on the bike which helped the tracking and smoothed out the ride. Still, it was uncomfortable at top speed. So, I ordered the manual on the "Cheetah".
The book is worth the $40 I spent on it. But, it is missing some dimensions on the main frame plan, I had to redraw on Cad to find some critical dimensions. After building the main frame to spec., my front wheel hit the front down tube. I cut the original tube off and moved it back 2" from the steering tube and had to bend this tube so I had clearance. Now it is as advertised, light and nimble. 100 lbs. over half is battery, 56 lbs. The batteries are still going strong after 7 months and guessing about a 1000 miles. I just purchased a cat eye computer last month, this bike goes 25.5 mph on the flat, on steep long grades it rarely drops to below 22.5 mph, downhill it never goes faster than 28 mph. Gear ratio is 10.4 to 1 and I am using a scott 1hp motor and allthrax 180 amp controller. Overall, I am generally pleased with the bike, rear shock has an 800lb spring, should be around 4 to 5 hundred lb per the Bidwell manual, front forks from chili works, need more spring, basically, they can't handle the load. I also fell safe at all speeds.

Attachments

• 1stbikevc3.jpg
    1stbikevc3.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 13,847
  • 2ndbikexs3.jpg
    2ndbikexs3.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 13,864
4 Years and 16,000 miles Ago now!!

From This

img_7320_std.jpg

Quickly to this

img_7333_std.jpg

More lately like this

Attachments

• latest.jpg
    latest.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 10,106
Nice comfy FS MTB
The battery rack broke over a big bump so i made a light steel one.
The seatpost is now bending -since i load it to the max with groceries and stuff.
Was running at 104V lithium on the DrainBrain -but those batts have only 2ah left in them.
Now running 3 X 24V lithiums from Brett at Solarbbq -only 6kgs!! all-up.
Not as powerful as the other batteries -but get a full 8ahs worth of juice.
Have also made some new battery boxes to fit -have to take a pic of those yet -only finished them this weekend.

408/4011 and 72V20A controller full freewheeling BBDrive.
Nexus8 rear hub

Cheers
Dom

Attachments

• IMG_0369 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0369 (Small).JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 10,003
Cheers Guys
At the moment only get about 45kmh top speed - i had it geared for 55kmh at 100V -need one of those super controllers you guys are working on so i can have 4 x 24V pacs.

Will climb 25% hills no worries by itself in 4011 mode -when it was at 104V(DrainBrain reading) -would climb anything and would get to 40kmh.
I rarely used the 408 mode then.
Use the 408 mode mostly at 72V.

I been watching your BMC antics Knoxie :D -if they pan out at 72V i will probably get one and wouldn't mind a setup like Maytag's.
The BBDrive goes well with little maintenace -mainly waxing the chains to keep the noise down -but i would jump on the simpler hub drive if it would go up hills like the BBDrive.

Here's a couple pix of the motor mounts.I machined up v-shaped frame mounts -used pallet strapping for a hose clamp type clamp ,and used some liquid metal between the mounts and frame.
Hasn't budged since. Too much work though -bring on the BMC! lol

Attachments

• IMG_0699 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0699 (Small).JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 9,918
  • IMG_0703 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0703 (Small).JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 9,886
  • IMG_0461 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0461 (Small).JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 9,891
And after.

Worlds Record Breaking Slowest Electric Bike
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-3679280772236564256
This is an Ultra-Slow Mo clip of some Monkeying about on the bike.

Attachments

• After2.jpg
    After2.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 9,905
  • After1.jpg
    After1.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 10,049
So here it is with a backdrop of a rice field. Ordered my 5304 motor on 26" rim, 36-72V controller plus misc wiring from PoweRide - almost $900 with shipping. Now just have to find a Li Po4 battery and charger :p .

Another before shot - soon to be Mark's Mark II E-bike 8)

A Jamis Dakar XC Comp.

I have a front hub wheel but am undecided if I want to fit it (I'll start a thread).

When the "after" is ready I'll add a pic to this thread.

Back