cut wires on a hub motor

EZgo

1 W
Wired2.JPGWired1.JPGIs it economically feasible to repair the wires in this gear drive hub motor. It's a EB36V20 - 240W08080691 in case my pictures don't appear.

It is from a Ecobike Vatavai that belongs to a customer. I made no promises but thought it was worth the time to remove it & open it up. I knew it would be a challange but I though I would have a little more to work with than what I am now looking at. Overall the bike is in very nice shape but it was purchased in this condition so there could be other issues.

Has anybody here ever tried this? I like a challenge but I'm thinking I should chalk this 1/2 hour of time up to experience.

I was also thinking about sending Ed Lyen an email to see if he could tackle this.

Thanks for your time.
Matt

Attachments

• Wired1.JPG
    Wired1.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 1,235
Sure.. Many of us have had to do that, or prophylacticly done it to prevent having to do it on the road.
Hopefully that is all that it needs, is wires replaced, and no burnt out components either 'upstream' or 'down stream'.

If your electrical and mechanical abilities are up to it, go for it (Get a hold-harmless release from your customer first, just to be safe.)

Maybe grind out the passageway a bit, deburr with a dremel or a milling machine, or files.
Replace the wires with teflon or silicone insulated, and go to a thicker gauge if possible.
Maybe epoxy them in after testing to make sure all is well.

Most of the times I've done it, the easiest fix is to pull the damaged wire further inside, then fix the cut wires once they are now inside the motor.

This works only if you have an extra foot of wire length of course, or you can add a foot on the other end easy enough.

Here's a pictoral on doubling the phase wires inside a Bafang-BPM. I'm sure this will show you everything you need to know.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=51237#p758156
file.php

Easy fix, maybe. Unless the motor was under power when the cut was made. the halls can get damaged from a high voltage short as the wires are cut. Halls can be replaced and are fairly cheap, but that adds time to the repair, and it's the time that's expensive.

The question is cost. How many hours will it take you, how much is the time worth? How much is the motor worth? Most of those motors are fairly cheap.

Thanks for everybody's input. The information & the pictures were a very big help. I'll contact John (the customer) & see how much he is willing to gamble. I'd like to do it for the experience but this motor indicates a lot of use. It definitely needs at least 1 bearing & it seems pretty dry inside (needs a little gear lube) but I see no signs of burnt wires or over heating. I'll see what happens.

Thanks again,
Matt

Back