Rim nipple holes 4.7mm - what to do??

izeman

1 GW
I got Alienation Delinquent rims. Those are 20" BMX rims.
I want to re-lace the wheels and use new hubs, so i have to order new spokes (and nipples).
All nipples offered which i found are either 4mm or 5mm.
But the nipple holes of the rims are 4.7mm. This is somehow strange, as the 4mm nipples have quite some play, and the 5mm one won't fit.
Any suggestions?

afaik 4.7mm rim holes are normal for 4mm (13g) nipples. i think it would be 5.5mm holes for 5mm (12g) nipples.

this is a quote from weinmann's site about their rims, for instance:
Flat Hole

These nipple holes come in different diameter as an option for 13G nipples as well. We offer 12G (5.0mm) and 13G (4.7mm) and 14G (4.5mm). These holes are often directional drilled to improve the spoke nipple line up to a certain extent.
https://www.weinmanntek.com/technology/6/6

so you should be able to use the 13g nipples, and 13/14 double-butted spokes. (double rather than single so you still have the 13g nipple end; single-butted spokes will only have the 13g at the hub flange end).

fwiw, i'd recommend eyeletted rims instead; they're more able to withstand tension on the spokes without cracking the rim and thus losing that tension (which is what breaks spokes most of the time).

Thanks amberwolf. I searched a lot, but couldn't find ANY info.
So it seems 4.7mm is standard. Unfortunately I can't measure any other rims.
I already have the rims. I won't order any new ones. I already had 4mm nipples installed, and it worked, but I wanted to make sure all is correct, as those have quite some play in the holes.

amberwolf said:
fwiw, using your exact phrase "nipple holes of the rims are 4.7mm" google finds that weinmann site as the first hit. ;)
You are totally right, but other than the first link there was nothing else useful. NO rim manufacturer writes anything about which nipples to use, or what the hole diameter of the rims is.

well, at least weinmann does (and they are a rim manufacturer, so "no rim manufacturer does" isn't quite correct. :p ).

i haven't looked for other manufacturer-specific info recently, so can't say for anyone else. ;)

Back