Problem with phasewire heat shrink :(

SkipperDK

10 mW
Hey guys,

So i'm in the progress of overhauling the BBS01 and upon removal of the controller i find this problem with the green phasewire.

The insulation is missing :shock:

Can i put some new heatshrink on it, or what is your professional advise to this?

Best regards,
T

Attachments

• BBS01B.jpg
    BBS01B.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 756
I'd use some marine heatshrink and RTV to stabilize the wire.

Wire looks cooked off to me, will resist a lot, and cook off again. Replace that wire. But if that wire cooked off that hot,, what did it do to the windings?

That motor is done carrying much wattage IMO. It got overloaded?

dogman dan said:
Wire looks cooked off to me, will resist a lot, and cook off again. Replace that wire. But if that wire cooked off that hot,, what did it do to the windings?

That motor is done carrying much wattage IMO. It got overloaded?

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your input, the wire was not overcooked, the insulation got ripped off as I was removing the RTV at the grummet, there's nothing indicating as to a overheating problem and all the windings are still beautiful copper windings =)

Oh,, I thought the wire should look brighter. In the picture it looks dull to me, which I have seen on roasted wires.

dogman dan said:
Oh,, I thought the wire should look brighter. In the picture it looks dull to me, which I have seen on roasted wires.

Yeah, I can see on the picture it could look like it, but in real it looks as new =)

I think that's silicone insulation. It's good for high temperatures but can be pretty fragile

Punx0r said:
I think that's silicone insulation. It's good for high temperatures but can be pretty fragile

I think you're right. I gave et a couple of layers heat shrink and bonded it with RTV. It's working just fine again :)

Back