X5 Side plate Cracked?

knoxie

1 MW
Hello

Just about to put the X5 in to the bike and I notice that there is a crack in the motor cover on the side that the cables come out of, now looking at the motor and without taking it apart I cant establish if this plate is load bearing or not? has anyone had their X5 apart? is there a roller bearing on the inside of the lid? or is the lid simply a cover? If it is just a cover I will seal the crack and install it but if there is a bearing in the lid and its carrying the axle of course I cant.

Anybody?

See piccie

Cheers

Knoxie

Attachments

• cracked x5 plate.jpg
    cracked x5 plate.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,854
Oooooh, Nasty Paul!
All 4 series have a sealed bearing pressed into the sideplate and all the load passes through it. No reason to believe that the X5 will be any different; you need a new cover mate.

Yep looks like metal fatigue. That bad this early looks like a manufacturing defect. Ask for a replacement.
Can't get one then yes you need a replacement.

Take it off. Get lots of clay and make a mold of it. Pour steel into the mold and make a new plate. Just kidding, but if you have a local blacksmith of metal works shop that is possible. Though it will probably be cheaper to get a replacement from seller. I doubt they will have that part except off a whole motor.

Duct tape master fix is to drill holes on both sides of the crack far away from the crack as possible and reinforce with external and if possible internal plates. This is not a fix but a delay in failure fix. The crack will continue to expand around the entire axel.

Can the crack be simply welded-over somehow?

Hi Guys

Thanks for the input, I found a picture on here of the X5 stripped down and it does appear that the plate has a support for a roller bearing so as such will be taking the full load of the motor, there is no way I am going to ride it with a crack like that.

It is one of Marks motors that he sent with some Pumas for testing, I think it fell over in his workshop and hit something, he was aware it was cracked but wasnt aware how bad I dont think. I will see if he has any cover plates if not its scrap, too dangerous to ride with it like that.

Again thanks chaps, I have put the USPD back on for now! have a good weekend.

Knoxie

If someone opened it up for any reason, and used a gear puller to push the axle and cover from the magnet ring.. before breaking the thick paint seal around the cover, it will flex..

Scrape the paint off the crack to see if it's just the paint by any chance ?

There is a bearing in the cover.. and it is load bearing.. if the cover is cracked in any way.. do NOT use it......

I don't know....

I don't know if it would be too dangerous to use at the legal speed limit of 32 KM/hr 20mph. If you are going an illegal speed above that then yes. I image if it failed you would have a rim supporded by half it's spokes and one side plate of the motor, the wheel would still turn but as if a light break had been applied. Going faster than legal I can see it shattering all the spokes all at once and the tire jamming. If it is a back wheel not that big a deal. If a front whell NO WAY IN H@@@ too dangerous to use.

Then again, Personally I wouldn't use it except at slow speeds and very short trips of absolute necessity.

Hi Guys

Its a rear and there is no way I am going to use it unless I can get a new plate, if not then it wont get used, I am sure Mark has a plate or an old wheel I can pinch one from, failing that I will get one from Kenny.

Cheers

Knoxie

if thats aluminum and not some crappy pot metal then you can groove out the crack about 70% through the thickness of the metal and have it tig welded and it should be good as new.

Back