Drilling cooling holes in Crystalyte Motors?

magudaman

10 kW
I have a crystalyte 409 motor running on a 20 amp 72v controller that pegs out at 1600 watts at times. I have done some full power rides around my neighborhood and when I get back the motor is pretty darn hot. I guess I can keep my hand on it for about 4 seconds before I have to let up. Has any one drilled holes in the crystalyte case to release some of this heat build up? It seems like it would be easy to do and you could also create some scoops so that it could force cool.

If you can hold your hand on there for 4 seconds, it's not really in the danger zone. I don't see why you can't drill the side plates, it seems like it would be pretty easy.

I'm not sure how much scoops would help, but it might be worth trying.
I would also recommend covering the holes with some kind of screen or something to keep the big chunks out. It's amazing how much magnetic crap kicks up from the road (I guess it's mostly rust that falls off cars).

Once upon a time, I saw some 'hole plugs' that were screen. Nice little round frame around the edge. I can't remember what they were for. Possibly something from the plumbing department.

Wouldn't fine metal dust from the kicked-up road debris also accumulate on the magnets, even with a screen? This doesn't sound workable on a hubmotor for long-term road riding. How about fins to better dissipate the heat since it doesn't sound like you need all that much extra cooling?

Back