18 mosfet infinion controller with bmc 1000w? anyone tired?

steveo

100 kW
I just blew up all 3 phases of an old school box type xlite controller ...

has anyone tried an 18 mosfet irfb4110 controller on this motor ...

-steveo

Has anyone tried it ??????

bump!!

I'm not tired, but I have tried it (almost).

I have a MAC Shanghai fitted with a 1000w BMC gearset and freewheel - the result is basically the same.

I have a soft-start 18 FET infineon, and well, it works, but there are issues. There is some sort of stall protection which cuts out the controller at slow speed..sometimes at medium speeds. Cycling the power changes the sensitivity of this protection - it's mental.

I also have some minor shudders at low speed. They were major shudders till I upped the phase current.

Full-throttle, with the same motor and a newer 12FET infineon has no such issues.

I now have an 18 FET Crystalyte controller, which low and behold is an 18FET infineon inside. I will try it shortly, but hope for similar results as the 12 FET.

18 FETs is way overkill for this motor.

IMO 30 amps is about the limit for this motor, and the 12 FET will do this with ease.

If you run 50A into the 1000w BMC it will die. Despite the marketing, the mechanics of the motor are not up to it (yes I have a different motor, but the reports on the BMC show similar flaws). The Freewheel assembly, the axle, even the stator, all start to fail at high amps.

Mark_A_W said:
I'm not tired, but I have tried it (almost).

I have a MAC Shanghai fitted with a 1000w BMC gearset and freewheel - the result is basically the same.

I have a soft-start 18 FET infineon, and well, it works, but there are issues. There is some sort of stall protection which cuts out the controller at slow speed..sometimes at medium speeds. Cycling the power changes the sensitivity of this protection - it's mental.

I also have some minor shudders at low speed. They were major shudders till I upped the phase current.

Full-throttle, with the same motor and a newer 12FET infineon has no such issues.

I now have an 18 FET Crystalyte controller, which low and behold is an 18FET infineon inside. I will try it shortly, but hope for similar results as the 12 FET.

18 FETs is way overkill for this motor.

IMO 30 amps is about the limit for this motor, and the 12 FET will do this with ease.

If you run 50A into the 1000w BMC it will die. Despite the marketing, the mechanics of the motor are not up to it (yes I have a different motor, but the reports on the BMC show similar flaws). The Freewheel assembly, the axle, even the stator, all start to fail at high amps.

dude let us know how she runs!!!

-steveo

Dude it goes good!

Well, apart from the slow speed issue.

It goes about as well as an X5 at the same volts/amps. But you can't go much past 30A (at 64v anyway), or it will die.

Mark_A_W said:
But you can't go much past 30A (at 64v anyway), or it will die.

100% correct and don't ask me how I know. :wink:

I have a dual voltage setup and can adjust the amps with my CA on the fly. Everything works fine if I keep it under 40a@52v and 30a@75v.

Back