Controller and throttle wiring question

joystix2

100 W
I just picked up a WE brushed 36v 35a controller and one of those cheap twist throttles used on several different scooters. The wires on the WE controller are red/black/white/purple and on the throttle it's red/black/green/orange with orange being battery indicator. How I think I know this is because the orange wire had its own connector seperate from the others. I'm having trouble trying to hook it all up and have tried all combinations with nothing going to the motor. I get 0volts on my volt meter when twisting the throttle while hooked up in different combinations. The battery indicator is full green but no voltage to motor. Could the controller be dead? Any help in trying to figure this out would be greatly appreciated.

Ric

Don't know if this has anything to do with the problem: is your voltmeter digital or analog?

DVM's seem to have problems reading PWM sources. After I twist the throttle, mine shows a quickly attenuating signal dropping to voltages I know are not correct...

Can you hear a relay click inside the controller when you apply voltage?

It sounds like you're using a hall-effect throttle since the other kind isn't usually described as "cheap" :)? Is this controller built for hall-effect or potentiometer throttles? Hall effect controllers I believe work with either, while controllers built for potentiometers work only with potentiometers.

It's possible the throttle just isn't wired to work with the WE BD36 controller. Here is a place you could get a throttle that you know will work with the controller.

http://www.bernsonev.com/wilderness-parts-c-32.html

It's $20 plus $8 for shipping. Might save you some headache for only $28.

I'd try putting your voltmeter neg probe on the battery neg terminal and use the + probe to measure the wires coming out of the controller (powered up).
One of the throttle input wires should be grounded (zero volts and low resistance to B-) One of the wires should have something like +5v. Some controllers might use +10v. The wiper input should measure zero volts, but have a high resistance (100k?) to ground.

I'm not sure what the battery indicator voltage would be, but it would be higher than what it takes to light up an LED.

If you don't see +5 or 10 somewhere, there's a problem with the controller.

Is there a brake switch? Test with the brake switch wires disconnected.
Possibly the wire that's lighting up the LED is supposed to be powering the throttle.

Got the bike working again but I didn't get it working with the BD36 controller. My brother came over and tried everything.
Fecht, You know my brother is the electrically inclined one in the family. He couldn't get any readings from any of the wires. Not even a +5v. So I remembered I had several Vego SX controllers sitting around which I purchased from Todd at Electricmotorsports.com when he was at the EAASV show last fall. Hooked it up and it worked fine on 36v. We just had to go back to the old files and find your 36v controller mod and POT definitions. These little controllers are so nice specially with the ramp up, 50-100amp and throttle center adjust POTS. He took the BD36 controller home to look at it. For $20 I might try KnightMB's suggestion and order a thumb throttle which matches the BD36 controller from the WE site. We opened it up and there is a huge difference between those cheap controllers from China and the BD36 controller. It's like comparing a Big V8 and a 4 banger...

Back