What size nut fits on a Crystalyte x5304 front hub axle?

Floont

1 kW
:?: What size nut fits on a Crystalyte x5304 front hub axle? :?: And more importantly, where can I get one? :?:

While I was putting all my new ebike pieces and parts back together after my September 3rd wreck, I got a bit overzealous and accidentally cross-threaded one of my hub axle nuts. Fortunately, the axle threads were undamaged. I obviously have mechanically compromised the nut and do not want to reuse this damaged critical part. So I went on a trip to my many local so-called hardware stores and could not match that nut to anything. :(

So for the moment, I am left in limbo until I can locate a replacement nut. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

FA

ELECTRICRIDER.COM. :)Hey FLOONT I live in TAMPA, give me a PM I will loan you one until you get a new one. COOPER :)

Floont said:
:?: What size nut fits on a Crystalyte x5304 front hub axle? :?: And more importantly, where can I get one? :?:

While I was putting all my new ebike pieces and parts back together after my September 3rd wreck, I got a bit overzealous and accidentally cross-threaded one of my hub axle nuts. Fortunately, the axle threads were undamaged. I obviously have mechanically compromised the nut and do not want to reuse this damaged critical part. So I went on a trip to my many local so-called hardware stores and could not match that nut to anything. :(

So for the moment, I am left in limbo until I can locate a replacement nut. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

FA
5304 require 14mm fine thread nut, call your local hardware store start asking if they carry metric nut, if the don't carry metric, then forget asking the next question. If they have 14mm fine thread nut, ask them if the have nylon lock nut. This type of nut will prevent it become lose overtime. You can see the blue plastic around the nut in the following picture here.

Good Luck!
NutAndWasherSet [800x600].jpg

5304 require 14mm fine thread nut, call your local hardware store start asking if they carry metric nut, if the don't carry metric, then forget asking the next question. If they have 14mm fine thread nut, ask them if the have nylon lock nut. This type of nut will prevent it become lose overtime. You can see the blue plastic around the nut in the following picture here.

Good Luck!

Try calling NAPA or a good Auto Parts store. Pep Boys is where I got mine.

d

OK... A 14mm fine thread nut.

Thanks! I'll go looking for one.

FA

EDIT: 14mm -1.50 pitch?

It's amazing what you can write in a light color and no one can see it...
The last "edit" was a question to anyone who can answer it...

So is it true that the Crystalyte x5304 front hub axle nut is a 14mm -1.5 (14mm fine thread)?

FA

Metric nuts and bolts are not real pitch, put the distance between threads.

Soooo on the bolt, measure off 20 milimeteres and count the threads, Then divide by 20. If you have 20 threads, then it is a 1mm "pitch; if you have 13 then its 1.5mm; if 16 then it is 1.25mm.

d

Floont said:
EDIT: 14mm -1.50 pitch?
Floont:

I am 99% sure it is 1.5 pitch, 14mm fine thread. I am getting old, can't hold enough memory in my head. When I purchased those nut from a special metric hardware store, I remember the clerk had mentioned something like 1.5 pitch. As far as I know, there are two type of common thread: fine or coarse.

Good luck!
Ken

I just verified it with a tap from a warehouse near where I work. It is definitely a 14mm - 1.50 :!:

Thank you for all your help! :D

FA

i agree it is M14-1.5. which is sort of a pain. BMX 14mm axles use a totaly incompatible even finer thread M14-1.0. lots of those nuts available at any LBS, but they don't fit.

rick

Ought to be able to find that in a lug nut.

rkosiorek said:
i agree it is M14-1.5. which is sort of a pain. BMX 14mm axles use a totaly incompatible even finer thread M14-1.0. lots of those nuts available at any LBS, but they don't fit.
rick

Yeah, bike threads really suck with their non-standard stuff.

Bought two 14mm -1.50 nylock nuts from ElectricRider for $9 including first class shipping. :)

itselectric said:
I am 99% sure it is 1.5 pitch, 14mm fine thread. I am getting old, can't hold enough memory in my head. When I purchased those nut from a special metric hardware store, I remember the clerk had mentioned something like 1.5 pitch. As far as I know, there are two type of common thread: fine or coarse.

Good luck!
Ken

Be very careful. While Metric Coarse threads are standardised, you can't always be sure about Metric Fine. Unbelievable but true.

The problem is that there is a range of thread pitch possibilities, so while Coarse is the coarsest, the others are called things like Fine and Extra Fine, and not everyone agrees on which is which. Or, like many things, there is probably a clear official definition, but it only takes one or two suppliers to do something different for confusion to reign.

Best thing, once you get away from Coarse, is to quote the actual pitch. Floont says he's measured it as 14 x 1.5.

Nick

PS. To add a twist, so to speak, while we're supposed to be completely metric over here, I actually end up using a lot of imperial fasteners, and I usually get them sent over from the US.

Tiberius said:
...Be very careful. While Metric Coarse threads are standardised, you can't always be sure about Metric Fine. Unbelievable but true.

The problem is that there is a range of thread pitch possibilities, so while Coarse is the coarsest, the others are called things like Fine and Extra Fine, and not everyone agrees on which is which. Or, like many things, there is probably a clear official definition, but it only takes one or two suppliers to do something different for confusion to reign.

Best thing, once you get away from Coarse, is to quote the actual pitch. Floont says he's measured it as 14 x 1.5...
I fully agree. Stay away from the word definitions of coarse, fine and extra fine. When I went to that warehouse on Thursday to figure out what the "pitch" was, I notice a large variety of 14mm taps. They had taps for 14mm - 2.00, 14mm - 1.50, 14mm - 1.25, and 14mm - 1.00... four pitches total. The pitches appear to be standardized, but not the English word designation, with the exception of coarse, which everyone seems to agree is 14mm - 2.00.

And just to repeat myself, the Crystalyte x5304 front hub axle nut is exactly 14mm - 1.50.

FA

ElectricRider now sells Crystalyte x530x front hub axle 14mm - 1.50 Nylock nuts, obviating the need for a lock washer. I just received mine Thursday.

My only complaint about them is that they are regular thickness nuts with the additional thickness of the Nylock. If you have a few accessories mounted on the front axle (dual torque arms take a lot of axle space), there is very little axle thread left for the Nylock to hold on to. Other than getting Crystalyte to start making front hub axles longer (like that's going to happen), the only other option I can think of is to use 14mm - 1.50 Nylock jam nuts. Jam nuts have less thickness which would allow the Nylock portion of the nut to fully bind to the axle threads. I don't think anyone makes them, though.

FA

I agree the cryastlyte axel needs to be at least 1/4in more on either side, like you said after a few extras on the axel it has nothing left. :mrgreen:

A great nut for this app is the 14x1.5 lug nut from a chevy truck or suburban, cone side out obviously. Skip the nylock as it uses up thread that can be better used applying clamping force (the axle flats also require a very stiff nut to not deform and still hook up) and not chewing up threads and apply blue or green loctite instead (totally TOTALLY necessary step, after degreasing and drying both the axle and nuts!!!). The nylocks suck as they are soft metal and only 3/4 threaded, and the x5 needs tons of axle torque, completely insufficient for a overdriven x5.

There must be a dozen threads about this (I know I started one) but I put over a thousand miles on my bike having never touched the chevy nuts- I used a paint pen to mark "torqued o 'clock"- before I decided that bike was suicide and took it apart before it took me apart. I crashed HARD 4-5 times but the wheel never moved, upon disassembly inspection. Man, did that bike wheelie well.

If you PM me I can send you a pair from my stash if you cover shipping (they're sold in packs of 10)

NorCalTuna said:
A great nut for this app is the 14x1.5 lug nut from a chevy truck or suburban... ...If you PM me I can send you a pair from my stash if you cover shipping (they're sold in packs of 10)
I PM'ed you. I'm interested because I'm not happy with the nut solution I have now. I am concerned they'll work their way loose.

Thanks.

FA

Hello all,

I just started my first build with the Crystalyte 5304 rear hub and have come across a few issues with the axle and nut's provided

1: the nuts are very soft and strip easily.
2: the axle would be better suited if it was not flat on both sides, less thread to grab on to
3: the battery brackets that attach to the axle should be center welded, not on the edge of the bracket, to balance out the weight of the batteries. The torsion of the batteries is too great for the nuts to hold on a smooth metal surface.
4: The wiring harness for the 72 v system is very short, it should be much longer to reach the batteries mounted in the brackets.
5: the connectors should be more robust, say maybe a 10-12 guage (yellow) spades.

I have made some calls around to find the nuts. they do not need to be from elecrtric rider or anyhing speciall. the best place to find them is Fastenal
the nuts come in bags of 5 or 10. and are fairly cheap ($10)

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=&q=fastenal&sll=45.95115,-82.177734&sspn=37.643408,97.998047&gl=ca&ie=UTF8&rq=1&ev=zo&split=1&hq=fastenal&hnear=&ll=42.032974,-80.244141&spn=40.016285,97.998047&z=4

Thanks for the Fastenal recommendation. http://www.fastenal.com

In reviewing some of the products they sell; I found these:

Disc-Lock_Nut.png
Disc-Lock_Nut_Side.png

There is a Disc-Lock nut for the 14mm Crystalyte axle threads called the M14-1.5 (see highlighted line):
Disc-Lock_Part_Numbers.png

I'd like to give these a try. They're $1.82 per nut. I also need to identify the rear axle nut size and get some for the rear, too. These nuts are used extensively on trucks and transports and resist vibration-induced loosening much better than traditional methods.

FA

I just got my nuts in. They work well. Very hard steel. They actually cut the threads deeper on the axle. Which was perfect

Back