Easy and more accurate shunt modding

John in CR

100 TW
Aussie Jester's shunt mod by wrapping the shunt in a bunch of copper gave me an idea. This was my first chance to use it, so I took some pics. I've modded shunts before, but the was never easy and a shot in the dark. The basic idea is to wrap just a portion of the existing shunt with copper and solder it in place, effectively reducing that portion of the shunt to near 0 resistance. eg I wanted to reduce my shunt's resistance by half, so I wrapped half of the shunt's length in copper. Mine wasn't a very neat job and I wanted to wrap each leg better, but this controller board is glued in the case forcing me to work from the end.

It seems like a good idea, so I thought I'd share it.

That's a good idea, and it should work well.

It's tough to know what you're getting with just adding solder alone if you want to try to cut the resistance in half.

Good work!

-Luke (who is in Hong Kong right now. :twisted: :twisted: 8) :mrgreen: )

Luke,

Have fun. I hope you get fixed up with sources for so much good stuff that some of them get shared with us dogs just begging for scraps. :lol:

BTW, remember how hot is was when you were down? This year's dry season has been back to normal other than a spattering of rain, IOW perfect weather even for a climate spoiled brat like me. 8) Next trip down will be much more dedicated to fun with a bunch of toys, and much better ones than last trip. Even Blue got some fun quotient since last year.

John

Back