Apology to Lyen ...(sensorless controller)

Spacey

100 kW
I like icecube57 bought a Lyen 12 Fet Sensorless controller to go with my 9C that had messed up it's halls...again!

On wiring it up to the sensorless controller it seemed that anything over 15amps would cause it to judder, shudder, try to go into reverse at anything over 20mph. Basically it sucked the large one .

Now I was still putting my Crystalite HS3540 and Lyen Sensorless controller (was all I had left) and my new 2 S 2P 8Cell 5.8Ah 25c to 35c Turnigy Lipos together at 4:30am...had to start work at 8am which is 12 miles away and my ebike is my only form of transport. Big Risk!

I should have known this set up was something special when I stupidly due to extreme tiredness wired up the throttle wrong ad the bike shot across the front room, luckily it pulled the positive start wire out....but....

Bugger me if this thing did not nearly rip my arms out and launch me to 38mph so quick I could not believe it. Yes the ebike grin was back... damn this thing is torqey.

Lyen the controller was as smooth as butter, no problem at all. I will never go back to sensored, so for all who were worried about the Lyen Sorless controller....it was something screwy with my 9C wheel, the Crystalite HS3540 was perfect, so damn powerful I love it.

So sorry for pointing the finger as politely as I could at you Lyen.

I guess it's a dumb question considering you said it flew across the room, but could you confirm there's no need to pedal at startup? I was under the impression from some posts I read (not about the HS35) that sensorless controllers require you to pedal first.

i want to know what happens when you stop on a hill and then start from a stop without pedaling. That is where a lot of the issues were reported. Good to hear the hs3540 runs good sensor less; i am starting to despise hall sensors and ive only replace 9. If we can get a sensorless controller that will do 7500w i would be sold on it when i go to upgrade from my sensored.

It can give a slight confused judder when at full stop on a hill but just move forward a tiny bit and off it goes. Now way will I go back to the worry of sensored now.

Yeah, HS3540 is darn powerful than 9C in sensorless. I believe the Lyen sensorless controller isn't work great with the 9C motor except HS3540. I have read Icecube57 struggle the problem on his Lyen sensorless controller gave him lot shudders on his 9C sensorless motor.

So obviously, it show same situation like you had problem with the sensorless 9C motor isn't great with the Lyen sensorless controller.

Last week, Edward Lyen and I rode together and he had lot difficulty with his sensorless controller with the 9C motor. I could see very clearly too much shudders! :lol:

I am looking forward challenge sensored HS3540 vs sensorless HS3540. Once I complete building my new ebike and will test with Ilia Brouk. He built sensorless HS3540 new ebike when Lyen and I visited his shop in San Francisco last week. :)

i have a puma geared motor that blew the sensors....ripped them ,out changed the 16g phase weiresto 12 gauge, added a alyenen sensorless controller...up,up and away :mrgreen:

kriskros said:
i have a puma geared motor that blew the sensors....ripped them ,out changed the 16g phase weiresto 12 gauge, added a alyenen sensorless controller...up,up and away :mrgreen:

WHAT?

I thought you couldn't run a geared motor like the MAC/BMC sensorless!!
Are you running a 12fet? if so how many amps are you pushing through that thing?

Is it getting hot? mine with the stock 16g phase wires gets hot at constant 30-40a on 60v.. i figured... it can't be pushed much further due to the heat..

The fan on my king power charger 36v went out the other day. It charges, but of course gets really warm. I opened it up and tested where the fan connects to the board and there is voltage of 13v. I then connected a bigger fan that I had from a vpower charger (which is also broke) :( So as far as I can tell it's the fan, but the other fan doesn't work. :?: :?: :?: :?:
I've heard some people push 3kw through them. They eventually go though. I think it was Nicobie that said or wrote that.... :? :? :?

Glad it works with the new Crystalyte motor. I originally had my motor stator installed backwards. I corrected that and it still runs like garbage sensorless. I reinstalled the halls in my motor and installed hall wires in the motor. It runs pretty well sensored. There are some retarded quirks I dont like. If you turn the controller on with the switch in SL mode the bike will take off with or without you. I must make sure I start up in Speed 1. Also it randomly forgets which direction is forward. Even though its runnining sensored the controller will occasionally run the motor backwards with halls. WTF. this requires swapping the hall and phase wires to get it working properly. This has happened 3 times so far. Its problem free until it happens again.

Sensorless mode is garbage at moderate to high amps but fine when its freewheeling no load. If you slowly ease into the throttle to keep the amps down its fine. You go WOT the motor and controller are fighting an cusssing at each other about who burnt up the chicken.

I try to block the bad things out of my mind I still like the failsafe of sensorless but it will probably piss me off when i do need it.

In sensored mode when its working properly it serves up the watts without much effort. 66v is the butterzone where I cant complain unless im pulling super high amps. Once it pushes past 60A+ the commutation gets kinda rough and the amps go even higher like its slightly lost sync. At 88v it feels pretty bad also

neptronix said:
WHAT?

Are you running a 12fet? if so how many amps are you pushing through that thing?

Is it getting hot? mine with the stock 16g phase wires gets hot at constant 30-40a on 60v.. i figured... it can't be pushed much further due to the heat..

Bafang run their baby and BPM geared, freewheel motors sensorless. Why not the MAC/BMC?

jbond said:
neptronix said:
WHAT?

Bafang run their baby and BPM geared, freewheel motors sensorless. Why not the MAC/BMC?

Older generation crystalyte controllers all had to be given motor input by pedaling a few km/h before kicking in... my Castle HV110 RC controller is sensorless and can start from a dead stop.. varies by controller.

for example of weird things :

[youtube]fn38_mSQQ6c[/youtube]

Back