XPD: open-source keywin e-bike lab replacement

Get all your technical information about electric bikes here.
stancecoke
100 W
100 W

Re: XPD: open-source keywin e-bike lab replacement

Post by stancecoke » Sep 26, 2017 2:12 am

I just bought this controller from aliexpress.

Edit: The processor is a 16bit NEC:
D79F9211
1635EB40x

Is there any experience with this controller and the XPD software?

Regards
stancecoke

edit: here are some pictures of the circuit board:

Galvo
10 µW
10 µW

Post by Galvo » Sep 30, 2017 4:39 am

Cowardlyduck wrote:It's not exactly related to the XPD software, but I had some issues using it after upgrading to Windows 10 recently.

The issue turned out to be with my USB to Serial chip. Apparently Prolific (the makers of most of the chips used in USB to Serial converters) no longer support the 2303 chip on Windows 10.
After doing some digging I came across the blog post below that outlines how to install an older driver from 2008 that makes it work on Windows 10.
http://leftbraintinkering.blogspot.com. ... evice.html
After installing the old driver I was able to run XPD and upload new settings to my controller (18fet EB3) again. :)

Cheers
Yay I cannot believe how much I have read to finally find the the answer to my issue been on it for about 6hrs :) Thank you Cowardly Duck so much.
The program finally recognizes the serial port im using. Ok Ive read heaps but Im a dummy so going to ask anyway as I didn't see my controller. Its a 12fet 3077 mosfets 48v Max 60v can some one please give me an idea of what the settings should be for regen? I had the bike wired for a test run and regen was like changing from 5th to 4th gear and I have been told regen is strong on this controller? I am running a 52v setup. I do have a broken wire that needs mending on the 3 speed switch could that be affecting regen?
Also a quick question. Can you see the settings that are already in your controller? when you plug in the cable does it register the settings? I would like a copy of what it is set at in case I do something undesirable. My controller is below.
Attachments
22046480_10155993551039683_1617251809533252855_n.jpg
22046480_10155993551039683_1617251809533252855_n.jpg (68.13 KiB) Viewed 54 times

Cowardlyduck
10 MW
10 MW

Post by Cowardlyduck » Sep 30, 2017 5:59 am

Hi Galvo, glad that info was helpful! :)

To increase the regen, make sure you set it to Strong or Unlimited in the Regen setting, and also make sure the upper voltage limit is your batteries fully charged voltage. Also be aware that the EB3 controllers have a bug where if you set the max regen voltage to about 58.4V they will actually set it lower by about 2-3V. You either have to accept this lower value, or set it higher. I found setting it to 58.6V+ usually fixed it and I just accepted the small risk to my battery (it's really not that bad anyway as you will use that excess power soon after anyway).

To answer some of your other questions. Your 3 speed switch won't be affecting regen. You cannot read the settings already set from the controller (it's just not possible with these controllers).
For the most part, the pre-set configurations that come with the XPD software are acceptable for a regular hub motor setup so if you screw it up, just start again from one of those.

Cheers
High Power LiPo wiring harnesses - 4P - XT90, HXT4mm, 5.5mm. 200Amp+ capable. Global shipping.

Modified Stealth Fighter - Force air cooled Leaf motor @ 5KW, Heat-sinked Adaptto Mini-E. Battery = 20AH, 72V LiPo.
Cowardlyducks - Stealth Fighter Videos

BikeE recumbent commuter - Golden motor, 6Fet Infineon, 20AH 12S LiPo, with on-board solar charging.

BLAKE'S BUILDS - The stuff I make and modify.

Galvo
10 µW
10 µW

Post by Galvo » Sep 30, 2017 6:08 am

Thanks Cowardly
Apparently I need the KH612 infinion 4
So got that sorted.
Regen is not shown as strong or low etc on this setting it shows it as Force i.e 40 then theres ebs limit voltage so I guess I just keep increasing the force ( May the Force) until im happy. I cant believe I played and read for 3 nights until I saw your post hahaha

Htfan
100 W
100 W

Post by Htfan » Sep 30, 2017 7:58 pm

jerome_speedy wrote:Hi all,

I tried to use the XPD program, which seems so much more simple to use than the Keywin software, but I have several problems....

First of all, my Xie Chang controller (supposedly on ver 6, which infineon number does it equate to ?) was delivered with a 5 pin MALE JST plug, which is unsual
P1060128.JPG
Also, my USB-TTL cable, bought from Lyen, doesn't have the same colour order from the picture 2 posts before,and the cable loop is not on the same pin number, which is a bit puzzling.
P1060126.JPG
As for the software itself, XPD used under Linux runs well but didn't recognize my controller (not surprising given the wire problem discussed above).
On Windows XP, XPD 3.3 doesn't even start, although all the packages from Sourceforge were installed (Python 2.7 is in the programs menu and the programs launchs).

Any suggestion ? I only want to program the regen braking on my controller, nothing more ! Thanks
I didn't see an answer to the lyen programming cable compatibility question. I have a lyen 12 Fet and his cable does not seem to successfully upload to the controller. (download seems to work)

Thank you
"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value."

- Albert Einstein

MrDude_1
100 kW
100 kW

Post by MrDude_1 » Oct 16, 2017 11:25 pm

Galvo wrote:
Cowardlyduck wrote:It's not exactly related to the XPD software, but I had some issues using it after upgrading to Windows 10 recently.

The issue turned out to be with my USB to Serial chip. Apparently Prolific (the makers of most of the chips used in USB to Serial converters) no longer support the 2303 chip on Windows 10.
After doing some digging I came across the blog post below that outlines how to install an older driver from 2008 that makes it work on Windows 10.
http://leftbraintinkering.blogspot.com. ... evice.html
After installing the old driver I was able to run XPD and upload new settings to my controller (18fet EB3) again. :)

Cheers
Yay I cannot believe how much I have read to finally find the the answer to my issue been on it for about 6hrs :) Thank you Cowardly Duck so much.
The program finally recognizes the serial port im using. Ok Ive read heaps but Im a dummy so going to ask anyway as I didn't see my controller. Its a 12fet 3077 mosfets 48v Max 60v can some one please give me an idea of what the settings should be for regen? I had the bike wired for a test run and regen was like changing from 5th to 4th gear and I have been told regen is strong on this controller? I am running a 52v setup. I do have a broken wire that needs mending on the 3 speed switch could that be affecting regen?
Also a quick question. Can you see the settings that are already in your controller? when you plug in the cable does it register the settings? I would like a copy of what it is set at in case I do something undesirable. My controller is below.
And your quote of his post helped me! :lol:
Warning:This post is being read via light, a substance known to the state of California to cause cancer.