Regen On Infineon

Hi Everyone,

I enabled regen in the controller and there is no regen. It's set to 65 volts and I'm on 16S LiPo.

Any ideas? the brake switch is working because when I press it the motor cuts out!

Thanks

Mark

Is your regen plug coming from the controller connected/disconnected?

o00scorpion00o said:
You mean brake connector. .?

yes, that's what he meant.

Also: when was this controller bought from ebikes.ca ? if you read their web page, regen was not enabled by default earlier this year. It tells how to enable it. Also, in earlier versions, the cut out voltage was 57 V or something close to this. So you had to change a small resistor in the controller to regen at higher voltage.

ebikes.ca web page:
http://www.ebikes.ca/store/store_controllers.php
section: FAQ on the Infineon Controllers

maybe they forgot to do the resistor mod as described on their web page. To be sure, just open your controller and measure the resistance as described below:

From ebikes.ca web page:
One other issue is that the controllers were designed to have a fixed 57V regen cutoff voltage. That meant that regen would not work with a higher voltage battery pack unless you tricked the controller into thinking everything is running at a lower voltage. This was achieved by changing the small 0805 surface mount resistor R12, from 2.4kOhm down to about 1.6kOhm. This mod would increase the regen cutoff up to 84V, and it will also raise the low voltage cutoff from 27V to 40V.

R12 is there on the controller, rectangle, you can see they changed mine, burnt traces. My board is EB712, you say you have EB212. Not sure what it means, but could be older board.
front.jpg

o00scorpion00o said:
I enabled regen in the controller and there is no regen. It's set to 65 volts and I'm on 16S LiPo.
16s is more than 65v when charged. Should start working after you've run the battery down a bit. Switch to lower battery voltage to test it.

Hugues said:
maybe they forgot to do the resistor mod as described on their web page. To be sure, just open your controller and measure the resistance as described below:

From ebikes.ca web page:
One other issue is that the controllers were designed to have a fixed 57V regen cutoff voltage. That meant that regen would not work with a higher voltage battery pack unless you tricked the controller into thinking everything is running at a lower voltage. This was achieved by changing the small 0805 surface mount resistor R12, from 2.4kOhm down to about 1.6kOhm. This mod would increase the regen cutoff up to 84V, and it will also raise the low voltage cutoff from 27V to 40V.

R12 is there on the controller, rectangle, you can see they changed mine, burnt traces. My board is EB712, you say you have EB212. Not sure what it means, but could be older board.

The EB212 I have is fairly new, however I got it just before the newer EB312 came out, which are a lot smoother with the geared hubs.

The EB 212 doesn't look like your controller at all.

I'll have a look at it again tomorrow.

Mark

wesnewell said:
o00scorpion00o said:
16s is more than 65v when charged. Should start working after you've run the battery down a bit. Switch to lower battery voltage to test it.

Hi Wesnewell,

The controller is set to 65 volts, so it should work under that?

I ran the battery down to about 59 volts and still no go.

Now that I think of it there was another blue wire on the controller that might have something to do with it, though maybe that was for speedometer, I forget. I remember reading something about that wire from somewhere!

Mark

Most likely controller generates voltage that is below your battery voltage. Just to test, try to change the voltage to 75V. If the regen braking starts to work, go back to 65V and fine tune R12 resistor.

Hugues said:
o00scorpion00o said:

Also: when was this controller bought from ebikes.ca ? if you read their web page, regen was not enabled by default earlier this year. It tells how to enable it. Also, in earlier versions, the cut out voltage was 57 V or something close to this. So you had to change a small resistor in the controller to regen at higher voltage.

ebikes.ca web page:

No, that isn't what I meant. On both my Lyen controllers, there are 2 wires coming out of the controller (with a connector), presumably to run to a switch so you can enable or disable regen on the fly. Apparently yours doesn't have those wires.

itchynackers said:
Hugues said:
o00scorpion00o said:

ebikes.ca web page:

No, that isn't what I meant. On both my Lyen controllers, there are 2 wires coming out of the controller (with a connector), presumably to run to a switch so you can enable or disable regen on the fly. Apparently yours doesn't have those wires.

hmmm I'll ask cell man what that blue wire is for!

parabellum said:
If I remember well, there must be a contact shorted to ground for regen to work on infineons. Are you opening the controller every time you want to program it?

Hi parabellum.

No I installed a cable with a plug on the end so it makes easy work of programming!

Mark

My cell_man EB212 came stock at "2" setting, so it regens also while throttled back, without the lever activated. The default regen voltage is 75V so even if cell_man didn't change it, 16S lipo will work. All you need to do is short (connect) BK and GND pads.

Link BK to GND as mentioned, it should regen up to 75V. I don't generally use DD motors or really high pack voltages so not so familiar with the Regen Stuff :oops: Will definitely get another bike set up in the next couple of months with a DD, lots of volts and get educated :)

You can try some alternative SW settings if it regens when you back off the throttle, let me know. Disconnect when you go back to the Mac, I find it makes the motor knock more and serves no purpose.

Thank's for the replies everyone.

Yep bk to ground works! :D

I must say, I really love regen. I set it to 2 and it works really good.

Cell-man

I never liked throttle regen, but that's just me, I do feel it could be useful as a safety featue, As soon as you back off the throttle it enables regen.

I actually think you would get more range without it?

I actually can't program my controller which is annoying, it just says awaiting authenticatio

Throttle regen set to a lower amount than brake regen is really handy for gradually slowing you down hills, I use a switched brake lever for proper regen breaking for when I need to stop quick.

Have seen the EB312 mentioned here.
Do any of you have one? and is it programable with the Lyen/keywin or XPD software?
I have one with the APM Xlyte header...so I know the APM can program the settings in it initial setup..just wondering if programming of it works the same as the other Infineon boards?

NeilP said:
Have seen the EB312 mentioned here.
Do any of you have one? and h=is it programable with the Lyen/keywin or XPD software?
I have one with the APM Xlyte header...so I know the APM can program the settings in it initial setup..just wondering if programming of it works the same as the other Infineon boards?

Yep I have one,

Nope afaik you need the software supplied by cell-man, he asked me not to distribute it on the net, but I'm sure if you ask him he'll E-mail it to you when he gets back!.

The cable for programming is also wired different, cell-man will send you instructions though, he sent mine with the cable already set up.

The programming is also a little strange in the fact you have to half the current you want, for instance if you want 100 amp phase you have to set to 50 in the software, same for the battery current. I think it's because there is an extra shunt in it!

I'm not sure how the 312 controller will work with a direct drive motor, but it works perfect with the mac, it has a soft start and it works brilliantly!

Actually I don't think there is a benefit to the 312 at all for direct drive motors ? I think cell-man optimises the 312 for the mac, could be wrong!

Electric rider supply the EB312 12 fet xlyte controllers ready fitted with the APM header from Xlyte for the HS motors..their Phoenix Brute kits come with them.

You say when Cell man is back...is he away?

I I reckon the wiring is just the TX/RX swapped..and I can do that at the board, to make the plug compatible with my current USB lead from lyen

I have PM'd Ed Lyen with the same question too.

I'll speak with Cell man and see what software he supplies and if XPD can be made to work

Thanks

Yep he is away since the 6th of November until 6th of December, he will have a hell of a lot of E-mails to reply to I'm sure! :shock:

I don't know anything else other than I think someone said, not sure if it was cell-man, that the eb312 controller is just fine with direct drives.

You are getting the 312 then ?

Back