Controller: E-ABS, Energy Feedback...???

SamTexas

1 MW
One of my controllers has the following printed on its sticker (word for word):

Intelligent Brushless controller for Ebike
Model: 36V
phase degree: 120
Function: automatic cruise, E-ABS, Energy feedback, Mute
Adjust voltage: 1.1-4.2V
Electric frequency: low
Low voltage protect: 31.5V
Limited Current: 22A

What do the above bold and underlined mean?
Thanks

Wag. E-ABS= electronic anti-lock braking system.
Assume energy feedback refers to regen braking, which is different than above.
Mute?
Adjust voltage: 1.1-4.2V I assume is the throttle voltage levels as that there common voltages.

we were discussing about ABS in another post a few weeks ago.

ABS on a car will prevent the brakes from freezing the wheel. They typically oscillate the brake pressure.

With regen braking, one can argue that it does the same, regen will not freeze your wheel. So maybe your controller manufacturer has come up with this clever marketing spec, but all it does is normal regen.

Or maybe there is something else ?

The chinese in their ancient wisdom have been using eabs to refer specifially to regen braking, it stands for electronic assisted braking system,
the mute and voltage referals may refer to how to turn the regen on/off

i inquired about this before on the sphere and didnt get much. im told that regen on my controller is turned off, so is abs. but it has that label. i wish i could get some info how to turn these on.

it uses the same terms on mine.

e-abs
energy feedback
mute

oh, im pretty sure mute is to cut power to the motor w/ the brake lever

My controller has 2 braking functions. One provides regen braking while the other doesn't. Using regen braking, it stops functioning when the bike get to about 3-5mph. Using the electric braking it brakes to a complete stop and provides more braking power than the regen braking feature.

EABS is a common term used on controllers; it *should* mean that they have regen braking capability, but it does not mean that it is actually enabled within the controller or that the end-user could enable it (either by jumpers or by programming).

Sometimes it seems to be simply used to mean that it can have switches on the brake levers to disable the controller during braking. But it should be used to denote that using those switches will disable the controller's motor function during braking, *and* activate the motor as a generator to create regen braking that recharges the battery a bit.

Mute almost certainly means simply that it supports disabling the controller's motor functions during braking.

The voltage levels look like typical throttle voltage levels.

wesnewell said:
My controller has 2 braking functions. One provides regen braking while the other doesn't. Using regen braking, it stops functioning when the bike get to about 3-5mph. Using the electric braking it brakes to a complete stop and provides more braking power than the regen braking feature.

Could the electric braking be energizing the coils to slow the magnets down as they go past instead of speeding them up like normal? If that is the case then this braking would be using battery power. Should provide same amount of force that you see on acceleration for that battery, controller, motor combo.

That's how my old RC car would brake but it was brushed. You could spin the tires backwards and really stop fast if it didn't spin out.

Gary

It looks like automatic cruise control, EABS, and regen braking are all "muted", ie off.
1.1V-4.2V is the voltage range of the hall throttle that the controller will recognize.

I have "E-Abs" on my bmsbattery 12 mosfet sensorless controller, also known as Regen. The regen works when the e-brake is connected, and depressed. I found it too strong for my needs, with too many ramifications regarding 2 way torque arms, diodes on the Pings to protect the BMS etc. And it stopped me too abruptly.

i'm thinking the mute might be regen via throttle...the regen is muted depending on throttle position ( 1-4v)

chvidgov.bc.ca said:
I have "E-Abs" on my bmsbattery 12 mosfet sensorless controller, also known as Regen. The regen works when the e-brake is connected, and depressed.

Which model do you have, KU120 or KU123? Did you have to mod it in any way to enable regen?

I think those are slightly newer than the model I have, but all you need to do on mine, is connect the two brown wires. If the E-brake lever is then depressed, regen will occur (and ebraking). Well, I assume so. I didn't measure the regen current with a CA on that bike, as the BMSBattery controllers do not come fitted with a CA connection. The braking force was rather strong and stopped the bike very quickly, faster than my regular v-brakes. The brown wires were designated "E-ABS" on the wiring diagram I got. That's the controller without the white wires which are used on an even earlier model from BMSBattery/ECitypower to "train" the controller when you first use it.
I'm aware of three generations now, of the sensorless/sensored-optional controller 12mosfet from them. They are rather good, and produce very little cogging on the 9C. The sensorless mode is almost instantaneous pickup, unlike several other sensorless controllers I have. I believe the Ku123 is the equivalent current version, but don't quote me on that.

Which controller? The thread is pretty generically about many different ones.

Most likely you'll have to contact the manufacturer about it, if the seller didn't give you one.

Or if you can't find any other info anywhere, open it up and note which color wire on which connector goes to what pad on the board, and what letters/numbers are printed on teh board there. Then you can look around at the various controller review/test threads, or ones about specific models/manufacturers, and some of those threads have similar wire/pad lists you can compare to and make an educated guess about the functions of yours.

I was assuming I have one with the same specification. This controller comes with AmpedBike kit. I could not find a specification sheet for this model. I have a difficulty maintain the same cruising speed, so I wonder if this model actually has a closed-loop feedback control built inside.

Attachments

• 22851370_1574956369217919_464414126_o.jpg
    22851370_1574956369217919_464414126_o.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 3,568
Looks like a typical generic controller. I don't know what you're looking at on it that makes you think it's similar to any other controller discussed in this thread, but I don't see anything. The words on it that match parts of the thread title mean nothing other than exactly what's discussed in the thread--just different types of braking controllers can do; lots of them do these things. There's literally thousands (at least) of controller brands/models out there.

I doubt there's any feedback in it; these things typically just take your throttle input and use that as a percentage of total speed available at the voltage it's operating at, so if you push the throttle 3/4 of the way from zero speed to max speed, you get around 75% of the total speed available at that voltage.

As the battery voltage changes (depending on how fullly charged it is), then the speed available changes (goes down as battery discharges).

If you hold the throttle at exactly the same point, but the speed is varying, then it could be a number of things depending on how it varies.

Exactly what is happening, under exactly what conditions?

Back