Modding my EB236 150V controller the same as my EB318 12kW

Get all your technical information about electric bikes here.

Re: Modding my EB236 150V controller the same as my EB318 12

Postby zombiess » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:47 am

I already posted this info in another thread, but I wanted to complete this one for anyone searching. Some hard core testing I did
-------------------------------------------------
Just got back from a 16 mile test ride, controller settings were 100A battery (the max the software went to) and 180A phase, 110% throttle in position 3. Battery setup is 30S3P (added on 5 additional 5AH 20C in parallel with the 25C Nano Techs). On the last 6 miles of my ride I was basically riding it like I stole it and even managed to get the motor case warm enough that I could only hold my wussy hands on it for a few seconds after it sat for 5 minutes for the first time WOOT! Not hot enough to reduce any performance though so probably not much over 100C if even that, I need to install a temp probe in the windings eventually, just need a type K with a long lead.

My CA is not calibrated to this shunt, it's setup for my 0.5 mOhm shunt in my 18 FET, I'm guessing these 5 shunts in parallel put it some where around 0.7 mOhms, but it's just a guess based on previously dealing with several of these shunts (3 in parallel ended up being 1.25mOhm).

Anyways the real point to this post is I managed to pop my 120A fuse from current draw on the 110% throttle setting and the controller was just slightly above ambient temp after lots of hard acceleration due to varying my speed a lot on the last 6 miles. Good news is I always carry a spare, but it was only an 80A and it popped about 1/4 mile from home after I went 57 MPH with the battery sitting at 115V at rest and was messing around doing acceleration pulls. Block time is still set at 1.0 sec. I need to figure out the shunt value on this controller and start using XPD with it.

Pretty awesome the controller is doing just fine and I melted a 120A fuse just from pure power. I'm guessing that means I was pulling about 150A for a while for the fuse to get hot enough to pop. I have some 150A fuses I can install which should also help. Was a really fun ride. Turning up the battery amps really gives the bike awesome acceleration, much more than my 18 FET was giving it but it was much more controllable and smoother on this controller.

Looks like this 36 FET I built is going to be good for at least 150A with no sweat. Even tried climbing some lower grade hills (maybe 4-5% at 40% throttle for about 2 miles no stop) and the controller didn't get warm.
Greyborg Warp Frame with Greyborg Cromotor aka "Monster Bike", 24 FET IRFB4115 EB324 Top Speed 42MPH (75V)
Greyborg Hub Motor, ZombieSS 24FET/36FET IRFB4115, Customized full suspension kids MTB. Top Speed 61 MPH (125V)
9C 8x8, 24S2P LiPo, Lyen 12 FET, Diamondback Recoil Comp. Top Speed 42 MPH (100V)
Greyborg USA/Canada Dealer, Frame kits + motor in stock now http://www.greyborgusa.com
zombiess
100 MW
100 MW

Previous

Return to E-Bike Technical