d8veh wrote:Use the switch for tempory stops - like when you're shopping or in the bar, but don't leave it like that for a long time because there's still a bit of drain from your battery. If you're going to leave it over-night or longer, it's best to disconnect thr main wires to the battery.
ian.mich wrote:How do i hook up the ignition wire on a cotroller? do i just solder the thin red ignition wire into the main positive wire and the put a switch along the thin ignition wire?
John in CR wrote:
Yes. I suggest using a keyswitch as your switch. I use cheap ones from a motorcycle parts store. Regular switches are way too easy to forget to turn off, and the throttle is what people seem to want to mess with. The smallest of kids will eyeball that switch as a way to turn the bike on, so making it need a key is much better.
Joe Perez wrote: *** snip*** This kind of piqued my curiosity, as I don't customarily disconnect my battery, ever.
I just went outside and measured the current drawn from the battery with the controller connected but switched off. I saw between 4-6 ma of current.
At 5ma discharge, you'd lose 120 milliamp-hours per 24 hour period, or exactly 1% of a 12Ah battery.
I'm going to go ahead and continue leaving the battery hooked up at night.
recumbent wrote: I never thought that my controler would drain power from my batteries when turned off, because i never disconnect my batteries either. I'll be more carefull form now on, although nothing bad happened yet. Thanks for the tip.
Joe Perez wrote:I should also note that I took that measurement with a clamp-on probe, which is not the most accurate instrument in the world. When I get back home next week, I should probably replace the fuse in my inline ammeter and re-test it that way.
Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 9 guests