12 FET Lyen's Controller and Golden Motor Hub

rylie

1 mW
Hopefully people who have a Lyen controller connected to a Golden Motor hub can chime in here.

Current setup...
All Golden Motor products, 48V 10ah battery, Pro 901 Hub and External Controller. Everything functions fine, I get 45ish (kph) on flat ground. I decided to get a Lyen controller to help with acceleration, hills and head wind. Just an all round better controller... or so I though.

Here's the problem...
Hookup the Lyen controller and get around 30ish (kph) on flat ground and wussy acceleration and torque. Tried multiple hall and phase configurations, some don't work and the ones that do get the previously mentioned. Also tried disconnecting CA to make sure it wasn't interfering.

Multiple emails back and forth with Lyen, but still drawing blanks. So I am looking to the ES community for help.

So i am not the only one that has the same problem with Lyens 12fet controller. I have recently purchased a 12fet sensorless, i have a crystalyte controller that works fine but i dont like the APM so so i also bought a CA. When i hooked it up same thing -it would only go 10mph less than normal, had no real thottle snap and no torque behind it.

I contacted lyen and had me try different programs, nothing gets it to work right.

I hooked up the crystalyte and everything works fine, i had all my connectors custom matched for both controllers, so no wiring problems.

I hooked it up again and still nothing, i sent him an email telling him that the controller does not work and sent it back.

He recieved it Saturday but probably since the holiday i havent heard back from him.

I'm trying to send it back to him as I believe it's a problem with the controller as well, but he said the controller is fine because he tested it before shipping it out. I emailed him last Thursday and have still yet to receive a response. This is starting to get a little frustrating.

It is a problem with the controller, its kinda wierd that you are having the same exact problem.I was thinking i was crazy having this problem.

He said he tested mine too. The thing is if you try the controller with the wheel off the ground , it starts fine and the no load speed is correct but as soon as you get on the bike to ride, it does exactly how you and i have described as not working.

When he tests, it is just a no load test (the bike wheel he tests on is in the air) so he would not be able to see that it does not work right under load.

The last time i heard from him was also thursday, the same day i sent it back. Tracking told me he recieved the controller saturday.

What coincedence that we both recieved not working controllers at about the same time and both 12fets

It sounds like just a current limit problem with actual current being too low for the motor. Testing no-load is just a test that it functions, not that the current limits match the rating of the controller. If you've got a CA and a multimeter first check the calibration of the shunt setting in the CA by measuring actual current and CA stated current at no-load WOT. If you measure total current from the battery and not just to the main power to the controller, then don't forget to account for the small current draw of the controller and CA. The CA is 7mOhms and the controller board typically needs about 60mOhm, but measure it if you what to dial everything in perfectly.

FWIW, unless a controller has already been tuned to match a specific motor, then programmability is important to optimum operation of your rig. How to tune settings for best operation is something I've not really discussed on ES, because it involved a good bit of trial and error testing, especially with the ratio of phase current limit to battery current limit. Too high a ratio puts the system at risk of spiking phase currents during partial throttle operation, especially under continuous loads like going up hills, and it can also reduce max speeds in some cases. Too low a limit gives lackluster acceleration, which is inefficient since you want to quickly get away from low speeds. It can also decrease top speed and reduce hill climbing performance. This trial and error tuning also helps you develop a real feel for your motor's performance, which will help you avoid ever burning up your motor, because:
1. You know what it can and can't do, so you're less likely to ask too much.
2. You'll notice long before failure that the motor is getting too hot, since performance drops off significantly when a motor starts getting too hot because resistance in the windings goes up so much.

John

Lyen supplied the shunt value for the controller to match the CA. He also knows what motor and battery voltage i am using. He also supplied the program to match all the values that i wanted.

Lyen had also sent ne program parameteres to try and nothing works.
I have tried everthing he has suggested , absolutely nothing had made a difference in how it acts under load.

Another thing i recorded was , when the wheel was off the ground at WOT it was pulling 7.5 amps and while riding the bike after it slowly would only get to 34mph it would be pulling a continuous 50-60 amps

Normally with the crystalyte controller it does 45mph at less than 20 amps and has a no load draw of less than 4 amps. WOT no load is 74mph on fresh charge

Thanks John in CR for your reply. This has been most frustrating. My controller is back to Lyen so hopefully he figures out the problem. With 2 people having the same acting problem at the same time, it gets me thinking he mite have just got a bad batch of controllers.

Sorry , already tried that. 3 speed switch acts acordingly.

Also, any setting under 100% would still accelerate rapidly to the set speed.

The problem has to be inside the controller itself. Every program /setting was tried. Lowering the amps to 20 then raising up to 45 made absolutly no differeence in the way it acts.Lyen sent the programs to flash.

The problem is in the controller- but what?

My controller has been sent back to Lyen, I do not know what the OP is going to do with his.

if you are getting really crappy performance but pulling 50A then you have the phase order incorrect, most likely blue and yellow reversed, I had the same problem. You have an unnaturally high unloaded speed as well I suspect. You will also probably note that the motor will be shitting heat as that 50A is all going into heat energy instead of locomotion. As I say I've had the same issue with another motor before, just because the motor spins without juddering doesn't mean the phase order is right. Try swapping blue and yellow phase and hall wires respectively and see if she breathes.

There is no standarisation in phase wire colours between manufacturers, hope this helps /

Nope, that would be good maybe for a sensored controller. I think the OP's controller is sensored but i do not think this is the problem.

Mine is sensorless and the 3 foward phase combos all performed the same.

Everything possible that is external has been tried. Waiting now for Lyen to find the problem with my controller.

I hope the OP gets his taken care of also, this is SOOO frustrating.

I just recieved an email from him today, only bad thing is he said he is overloaded with work but will try to figure the problem as soon as he can.

Since it is a load problem , just bench testing is not going to work. I think he is going to have to put it on a bike to see the problem.

I will keep you updated.

Dogman, i am also subscribed to this thread since i have also posted in this thread about the problem i was having with my controller.

I do not know if this is a response from the other thread about lyen since i responded back to you in the other. Its a little early and i am a little confused.

Or, is this for the OP?

Dnmun,

Okay its not me. I did start a tread about the problem i was having with the controller the first day i recieved it back on may 17. http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39852
I got recieved a coulple of replies, but nothing that solved anything.

I had'nt said anything about the lyen problem till i seen Rylie's thead on it.

Back