Controller seems to be stuck in regen mode?

geetarboy

100 W
Here's the story - Was not able to program the regen on Lyen 18fet HV controller, it was set to engage whenever throttle was released. So, I disconnected the regen jumper and it worked fine - except no regen. Then I thought of running the regen jumper through one of my e-brake levers, it worked! for about 10 miles of stop & go riding and then while coming down a hill with regen engaged for 15 - 20 seconds, it is now stuck in regen mode. Any ideas how to fix it?
- Mark

What exactly do you mean by stuck in regen mode? Do you mean that the motor has resistance when turning, and does not work as a motor? If so, it's possible a FET has blown, or a phase wire has shorted to the stator or to another phase.

Also my guess.

Yes, if it's a notched feeling when you turn the wheel, then you blew at least one mosfet which is now shorted and causing a plug braking effect.

If it's really regen, did you try disconnecting from the switch? Maybe the switch is stuck. If it's not the switch, maybe the controller needs a reset by disconnecting the battery. That sometimes works when a controller gets "confused"

Did you have a CA working where you could see current flowing back into the battery? I ask, because maybe somehow your hacked approach created plug braking, not regenerative braking, and whatever was bearing that current to dissipate the heat is now shorted out.

John

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the wheel has a notched feel when turning, but only when connected to the controller. It turns normally when disconnected. I disconnected the regen loop and it makes no difference, it still 'notches' when phase wires are connected to the controller whether the power is on or off. Maybe phase connections shorted inside the controller? And yes, before it quit working it was regenerating when brake was applied according to the CA - up to -600 watts

Yes, usually blown fets. One or more is stuck switched on, shorting the phases to each other.

I checked with a meter and there are no shorts between phases. However, when green phase wire is disconnected the wheel spins normally.

Then a FET on that phase in the controller has failed. Could be shorted to either battery plus or minus, so check each leg.

Disconnect controller from power and measure from controller-s green phase wire to controller's main red and then main black, and compare to same readings on other two phase wires.

Back