Regeneration questions

Alastor

1 kW
Hello everyone , i have Lyen 12fet 4110 72volt controller and it has regeneration and braking.Currently my disk brakes are getting quite hot if i ride for some time.And i was thinking of that regeneration will cut a slack to my hot rear brake.

I am having two questions is it safe to use regeneration braking with a fully charged battery ? In the software Lyen send me i can set the voltage at 75 volts witch is perfect for my 18s2p pack.
Anyone used regen on 12fet Lyen controller ? any post i can chk details and all will be appreciated.

The main issue for me is not burning my pack :shock:

Thanks in advance mates

what kind of pack is it ?

I run 24s4p on my lipo's and I just make sure to ride hard when I start out for a few minusted to get the voltage down.
I also just charge to 4.1 rather then 4.2 so there's some leeway.

As long as your batteries can take the inrush of current and you are careful starting out (Dont ride down a big hill right away) I dont see any issues.

I have 4 of those controllers and have had no issues.

ohzee said:
what kind of pack is it ?

I run 24s4p on my lipo's and I just make sure to ride hard when I start out for a few minusted to get the voltage down.
I also just charge to 4.1 rather then 4.2 so there's some leeway.

As long as your batteries can take the inrush of current and you are careful starting out (Dont ride down a big hill right away) I dont see any issues.

I have 4 of those controllers and have had no issues.

I run 18s2p and right now i am charging at 4.2 because of an issue to my turnigy charger.It gets cell error message even if the cells are low like 3,8(no bad cells on my pack) .That's why i am asking because if the battery will be fully charged it might start a fire ? or is there a protection inside the controller ?

I use zippy lipos without a bms that's why i am worried.

When you start out on your ride w/regen enabled just don't go down any steep hills and burn off some of that charge
by zipping around a bit..

personally tho id fix whatever makes you charge to 4.2 - the cells will last longer and be a less chance of over charging if you stop a bit before.

still to each his own.

ohzee said:
When you start out on your ride w/regen enabled just don't go down any steep hills and burn off some of that charge
by zipping around a bit..

personally tho id fix whatever makes you charge to 4.2 - the cells will last longer and be a less chance of over charging if you stop a bit before.

still to each his own.

I use a 12v system for charging my lipos so the voltage drop in the system probably making the controller shut down or something and it outputs the the error message that is probably random.
I am planning on getting a power supply so i have steady uninterrupted power to the controller and be able to charge at 4.1 once more.

Thanks for the tip man.To be on the safe side i will just unplug the regeneration jumper when the pack is fully charged and re connect it when i need some regeneration.
Or i can use a button switch i am having and use it when i want ?do i have to removed the battery pack first then connect regeneration or the button switch will do the trick ?
Regenerative braking affects cells balance state ?

Thanks again

Alastor said:
Currently my disk brakes are getting quite hot if i ride for some time.
Are you going down a long steep hill? If not, you may want to look at your brakes for rubbing. If so, you could use regen or you could add rim brakes and use both rim and disc to distribute braking and heat.

is it safe to use regeneration braking with a fully charged battery ?
No.

You will be charging the battery with regen, so if it's already ful you will overcharge it.

amberwolf said:
Alastor said:
Currently my disk brakes are getting quite hot if i ride for some time.
Are you going down a long steep hill? If not, you may want to look at your brakes for rubbing. If so, you could use regen or you could add rim brakes and use both rim and disc to distribute braking and heat.

is it safe to use regeneration braking with a fully charged battery ?
No.

You will be charging the battery with regen, so if it's already ful you will overcharge it.

There was no rubbing its just the disk brake cant handle the speed i gets hot.Small thin disk rotors.
I did tests to check out if there was any rubbing and i also check my brakes in every ride in case of pads misplacement and all.

You have any idea if a switch can work for enabling and disabling regeneration while the controller is on the battery ?

You could use a set of three power resistors as a plug brake, and set up a relay or contactor to engage them.

The value of the resistors would determine the amount of braking force you got from them. It's a crude method, but it would save both your mechanical brakes and your batteries.

With the regeneration on the disc brakes are not even close to the temperature they where getting.Works really nice and its kinda super emergency braking if you have some speed.
The only bad thing with this technology in my opinion is that you have to restrict the (electronic braking , regeneration) to the rear brake leaver only because when you are using the front brake you might not want the rear brake to kick in as well.

Alastor said:
With the regeneration on the disc brakes are not even close to the temperature they where getting.Works really nice and its kinda super emergency braking if you have some speed.
The only bad thing with this technology in my opinion is that you have to restrict the (electronic braking , regeneration) to the rear brake leaver only because when you are using the front brake you might not want the rear brake to kick in as well.

I love having regen and mechanical braking when I pull the front lever. It's on a 48 volt system with moderate regen. No idea if hard regen and a front brake would play well together though.

Gary

Alastor said:

There is some combo you can run to get it to work the way you wanted. i.e. connect the front brake lever to enable regen, and the rear to regen. Therefore, to use regen, you have to press both. But ultimately, I would want a pressure sensitive regen for 2 reasons:

1) I run hydraulics disc brakes and I want the precise control of braking.
2) I don't want a sudden 1.5KW of reverse power on my torque arm the moment I press the regen going 30mph+.

Here is my thread review on the tektro hydraulics ebrakes.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=40782

Alastor said:

My solution is to use a separate button for regen. I just use regen for speed control going down long steep hills, and use the normal brakes for stopping or any unusual braking situations. I live near the top of the worst hill in my area and I can avoid regen until after the pack voltage drops a little. If I use regen immediately on that hill after a normal recharge, the regen raises the pack voltage over the upper voltage limit.

I think the easiest solution to your problem is to just charge the batteries to 4.1v
If your charger needs so much work to get it right just invest on bulk charger :mrgreen:
Its faster and not so much more expensive :wink:

rui_fujino said:
I think the easiest solution to your problem is to just charge the batteries to 4.1v
If your charger needs so much work to get it right just invest on bulk charger :mrgreen:
Its faster and not so much more expensive :wink:

I agree with you but i wanted a few 12v power supply's anyhow.I need them in order to charge my solar when the weather is bad if i need to and be able to charge my lipos from the wall as well.

So i took two of the UK power supplies whereswally606 is selling and waiting to get em :)

I use my balance charger as bulk charger i just have to plug unplug the buller connectors , less than a minute job.

And now for the often overlooked aspect of regen - do you have adequate torque arms to survive constant rocking back and forth under great force?

Personally, I don't bother with regen. Too much work and trouble for what it's worth for my situation. YMMV...

Ykick said:
And now for the often overlooked aspect of regen - do you have adequate torque arms to survive constant rocking back and forth under great force?

Personally, I don't bother with regen. Too much work and trouble for what it's worth for my situation. YMMV...

I am using a single TA at the moment but i will upgrade to a better solution with two TA's.Doc is selling them here in the forum waiting to get my hands on them and experiment.
Regen is essential for what i want to do with the bicycle.Thats why i took a programmable controller as well to be able to experiment with it a little bit more.

Alastor said:
Ykick said:

I am using a single TA at the moment but i will upgrade to a better solution with two TA's.Doc is selling them here in the forum waiting to get my hands on them and experiment.
Regen is essential for what i want to do with the bicycle.Thats why i took a programmable controller as well to be able to experiment with it a little bit more.

Okay then, good luck...

Back