• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Can SLA Kit Charger be used for LIFEPO4?

geeeyejo1

1 kW
Just was wondering if the SLA charger provided with the Yescom 48V 1000W kit can be used for the 48V 15AH LIFEPO4 battery that I am getting? Battery has BMS and a charger provided but would be nice to have a second charger to keep at work or use as a backup...

dnmun said:
no, they are different voltages.
Charger provided with kit is marked "48 volt" I checked with voltmeter and it is putting out 55.9 volts - isn't this the same voltage required to charge LIFEPO4?

I believe you could use your SLA charger at work, but it will not fully charge your pack or allow the BMS to balance the pack. It will put charge back into the pack up to whatever voltage your SLA pack is set to, but for full charge and pack balancing you'll need to use your LiFePo4 charger.

16s lifepo4 @ 3.65 per cell is 58.4
55 is a bit low.
Most chargers can be adjusted easily, some require a resistor replaement to adjust voltage.
dnmun is a charger expert in my book.
Maybe he can explain why it may not work out.

Appreciate the info - an at work charge should not really be a concern as my one way commute is only 5 miles (a 1.5 mile somewhat uphill run to the ferry, then 3.5 miles flat ground) I'm pretty certain that the 48V1000W motor coupled with a 48V 15AH battery should be able to do 10 miles before re-charging pretty easily with reserve to spare. Just thought it would be nice to have the other for an emergency - let's say original charger dies and I am awaiting a replacement, not necessarily any long term use...

The chargers they send with the kits have a max voltage of 59.5V @2.5A. I've charged 14s rc lipo with mine many times until it bit the dust. You can certainly use it to charge anything as long as the max voltage and amps doesn't exceed the recommendations of the battery pack manufacturer. Actually, that really doesn't matter much either as long as you know what you're doing. FYI, a 48V SLA pack in good condition will charge to as much as ~57V or more, but the charger normally will shut off before reaching ~54V. The charger just provides voltage to the bms, The bms actually does the charging.

wesnewell said:
The chargers they send with the kits have a max voltage of 59.5V @2.5A. I've charged 14s rc lipo with mine many times until it bit the dust. You can certainly use it to charge anything as long as the max voltage and amps doesn't exceed the recommendations of the battery pack manufacturer.
Agreed. I have been using a 24V, 6A SLA charger to charge my 7s-20Ah LiCo pack for a year now. The charger stops at 28.4V which is great for my pack, 4.06V per cell group.

I also use three 19.5V, 6A laptop chargers in series to charge my 14s LiCo pack. Charging ends at 57.6V or 4.11V per cell.

Yes you can. It wouldn't charge high enough to trigger the bms to balance the pack. Do unplug after charge. The sla charger doesn't drop the current in the end of charge.

Though not ideal, because it shuts off differently, you can use the sla charger to put a 98% full charge into your lifepo4 battery. Chances are, the plug doesn't match, and if they do, you still have to be very sure the plug is wired the same polarity as your lifepo4.

Idealy, you'd only use the sla charger for occasional recharges, relying on the provided charger to fully charge and balance the pack. Some have had issues with the sunthing charger not lasting very long, so the sla charger may come in very handy as a spare.

Back