how to open this freewheel?

izeman

1 GW
i need to open it
a) to see what it looks like inside ;)
b) to remove some sprockets

how do i open it? i can't even see if those are left or right handed threads. to i have to open the small ring near the smallest sprocket first? or the one on the back?

22046,img2012122700060Y1RKU.jpg

22047,img20121227000620EGTS.jpg

I don't know how open that one. But all freewheels I have seen operate basically the same way as depicted by the pictures in this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freewheel

I open mine up by using a drift and hitting the ring as I started to unscrew it a hunderd ball bearing fell out. I found all the bearing I could and was happy it was back together munis a few bearing it worked. But those bearing go everwhere so be cafeful. These freewheels do collect dirt and sand.

A drift is a punch it's used to hit out a pin. I didn't have the special ring lock tool. This will make a small mark in the ring. Dent. Why do you need to open it up ? If you don't have to don't. I would hate to see you cry.

999zip999 said:
A drift is a punch it's used to hit out a pin. I didn't have the special ring lock tool. This will make a small mark in the ring. Dent. Why do you need to open it up ? If you don't have to don't. I would hate to see you cry.
i don't want to open the ratching mechanism. i want to remove or maybe rearrange some sprockets. i will drive front middle and big ring and single speed on rear. but because of chain angle i have to move the small rear sprockets to the inside. and i will see if this can be acchieved. i'm afraid it won't be possible - but i'll only know after it's opened.

yeah do post pictures.

What i usually do is just use a large chainring on the most outer part of the cranks. Spend the majority of my time in the 11T and 13T gears anyway.

I'd like to see what that looks like on the inside and how you got it opened, for sure.

A chain whip is the tool to use. If on the bike, you can put the bike chain on the biggest sprocket, hold the crankset, and unscrew the little sprocket with the whip. The Punch is another method. A bit Magilla, but effective if careful. Hate to admit it, but I have used two channel locks a bunch of times when in places that had only basic tools. It is a right hand thread. Have fun getting dirty.

this freewheel seems to be different. a mix of old freewheel and new cassette.
i had to unscrew the little ring (it was not left threaded, but standard right threaded)

22100,img2012122700065XAVIE.jpg

then you can lift one ring after the other. 11t and 13t removed

22101,img20121227000647A80E.jpg

15t and 18t removed

22102,img20121227000635XOLN.jpg

i will post pictures of this after it has gone through the lathe :)

If that freewheel is like a couple I just opened recently then removing much material is not an option. The interior is stepped like the exterior so it has a thin wall for it's entire length.

If what you are trying to do is make it small enough to fit the 11t further in the freewheel body it's not gonna happen.

Gary

Back