Building my very first battery

Karl

100 W
Hi, endless-sphere enthusiasts.

LETS START WITH THE BASICS. YES, I AM IGNORANT!

I found a diagram somehow understandable for me on the forum. I would like, if it's not to much to ask... Some help finding the required materials to build my very first
74v10ah 20s2p battery

My questions are :
1. do I need the HVC device with my Hyperion EOS 1420i intelligent charger? If the answer is YES please tell me how to use it.
2. How do I balance and charge this pack with or without my Hyperion charger (without charging all packs 1 by 1)
I also have a 2000w power supply with adjustable amps and voltage if required!

20s2p_zpsfef19ebc.jpg

and this is what I currently have for charging
charger_zps28e1e07e.jpg

In that drawing, ( looks like Methods boards? ) you would bulk charge using your 2kW charger.

there would be no balancing but the cells are protected by the HVC board. the 2KW charger set to something like 83 volts (4.15 per cell) and 20 amps.
That will charger each cell to 4.15 volts at a 2C charge rate

If you need to balance then you will have to split the pack in to two and charge twice at 10s 2p or once at 10s4p, with no HVC board as the Hyperion will do that

No, you don't need all that stuff. All you really need is 8 5s packs. Same principle as this only you'll have 4 5s packs across and only 2 down.
12s3p.jpg

to answer the questions exactly as you posted them

1) no you don't need the HVC board with the Hyperion.

2) To balance charge without the Hyperion is difficult a and fiddly procedure. You would need to charge or drain individual cells. cna be done, but not worth the hassle for every day use.
To balance charge with th e Hypeerion. you wouidl re configure the pack as 10s 2p or 10s 4p and connect to the Hyperion as per the Hyperion manual.

or bulkd charge with the 2kW as I mentioned before WITH the HVC board and balance adapters

Lots to learn, to safely manage that lipo.

My approach would be.

Do all balancing with the hyperion. Either use the balance charge function or bring up the charge of a single low cell at 1s. Use a paraboard, or homemade stuff to paralell multiple packs to balance many at a time.

Test and sort your packs. Watch em like a hawk at first, balance charging them one by one for a time. Weed out the shitty ones. Once you have a set of packs that all behave well, that is tend to stay balanced, you eliminate most of the hassle of balancing the pack. A good set that is not discharged too deep each cycle will tend to remain balanced enough for quite some time. Don't fuss over .01v out of balance. Worry about .05 to .1v out.

Bulk charge with the hyperion. Make up a cable similar to the Icecube 57 design, so you can quickly swap from one series configuration you use to run the bike, to one that will charge all your packs at once on the hyperion, using the non balancing charge setting.

Or, after sorting to all good packs, use the methods boards when bulk charging.

Back