3 Speed Switch Problem

I am having trouble with getting the 3 speed switch to actually run 3 different speeds.

I have the controller Lyen 24fet 4110 configured with spd1 34%, spd2 66% and spd3 99%

Now, when I go to run a no load test speed 1 & 2 are the same, but 3 is faster, then when I switch back to speed 2 or 1 they have become what speed 3 was.

If I set the controller to 99% for all the 3 speeds, then the switch is 99% on speed for the 3 settings.

I would like to have 3 different speeds if I can.

I tried a few different combinations of changing the pin configuration on the connector for the controller, but got pretty much the same result.

Any ideas?

Pic below from test profile, running 67V
testprofile2.jpg

I'm still having trouble with the 3 speed switch working correctly. Here is what have done so far:

I tried the button mode and have the ground from the switch going to the ground of the controller, Speed 1 of switch going to X1 of controller & Speed 2 of switch going to X2 of controller. Both speed 1 & speed 2 did work with different %'s, but speed 3 was set differently but did the same that speed 2 was set at.

I got this email from Paul (cellman) regarding the switch, not sure if its going to work with what wires I have coming from the controller, but I can't understand why? This should be easy to fix, something is missing!!!!

I did set it up like the pics shown below.

Hi Pete,
I gave you the connections, attached again. The 3 speed works as follows:

Speed 1 – link X1 to GND

Speed 2 – open circuit

Speed 3 – link X2 to GND.

3speedswitchfrompaul.jpg

Am I wiring it up correctly?

x1 from switch to x1 from controller
x2 from switch to x2 from controller
ground from switch to ground from controller

Still having the same result, what gives!!!!

Hi Pete,

The reason I had asked you to changed to button mode was to see if you can get different speed. Please have it change it to switch mode.

Three Speed Switch Wiring Info:
wire color > controller board hole location
red x1
grn x2
blk gnd

The way it works is speed mode 1 is the program will engaged when the X1 and GND is shorted on the controller board, open = speed mode 2, and X2 short to the GND is speed mode 3.

Regards,
Edward Lyen

You can actually get 4 speeds if wired correctly. If you ground SL, then it overrides any other setting. With none of the speed control pads grounded you get one speed. Ground X1 and you get that one. Ground X2 and you get that one. Don't ground both at same time. Ground SL anytime and you get that one. The speeds you get will be determined by how you programmed the controller. Typically, SL is 60%, speed1 is X1 grounded, speed2 is nothing grounded (usually 100%), and speed3 is X2 grounded. Program any way you want. I have no idea how he brings his leads out. I had to wire my own. For the 3 speed switch, you need a spdt center off switch. Wire ground to center post, X1 on one of the others and X2 on the last. Center off is speed2, etc.

With the switch in the middle # 2 position there should be no continuity with any of the 3 wires. Position 1 on the switch shorts #1 to gnd, and position 3 shorts #3 to gnd. I always program my #2 as the default 100%, so I don't need a 3spd switch to run properly. Those switches are ultra cheap inside, so make sure yours works.

Your results though sound like either a broken switch or a 3 speed setup looking for a momentary switch. I prefer that type. The default is high on power up. Push button once and get medium, again for low, and again back to high. Only 2 wires are required for that type.

Thanks for the replies

Here is what I have:
halftwistthrottlewith3s.jpg

No Dice,

Wires are hooked up right
x1 controller to x1 switch
x2 controller to x2 switch
ground controller to ground switch
software set to switch mode
speed 1 34%
speed 2 64%
speed 3 99%
This is what happens, speeds stays at 34% from speed switch 1,2 & 3, once I go back to speed 1 they are all at 99% now, switch 1,2 & 3

Now in button mode (still using the switch, because button on throttle is for cruise, which does work), its a different story
Same connections and software speed settings has above
This is what happens, speed switch 1 34%, switch 2 64%, switch 3 64%
Speed 3 doesn't work, you can change the speed % in the software to anything, but it seems to only read what % is set for speed 2.
I have tried 2 different throttles that have this 3 speed switch on them, same results.
So, I have no clue why this in not working corretly. The controller is from Lyen and throttle with 3 speed switch is from Paul (Cellman)
The throttle 3 speed switch works fine on Paul's 12fet.
But in all honesty, on my other bike I only use 2 speeds, LOL
As long as having the controller programed in button mode and it works and I won't do any harm to the controller with it being in button mode, then so be it, that will work for me.......Done

P.S. If anyone does come up with an explanation on why I am not getting the 3rd speed switch and setting to work. I would love to hear it......

wesnewell said:
You can actually get 4 speeds if wired correctly. If you ground SL, then it overrides any other setting. With none of the speed control pads grounded you get one speed. Ground X1 and you get that one. Ground X2 and you get that one. Don't ground both at same time. Ground SL anytime and you get that one. The speeds you get will be determined by how you programmed the controller. Typically, SL is 60%, speed1 is X1 grounded, speed2 is nothing grounded (usually 100%), and speed3 is X2 grounded. Program any way you want. I have no idea how he brings his leads out. I had to wire my own. For the 3 speed switch, you need a spdt center off switch. Wire ground to center post, X1 on one of the others and X2 on the last. Center off is speed2, etc.

Actually five speeds.

If you wire the speed switch in button mode..and you pulse X1 to ground, via a momentary button, you get 4 speeds, programable in XPD, plus you still have the Speed Limit override.

Have you got the ground wire going to the centre connection on the back of the switch, as the end position wires each connect to the middle one in switch position 1 or 3.

Tench said:
Have you got the ground wire going to the centre connection on the back of the switch, as the end position wires each connect to the middle one in switch position 1 or 3.

Will have to a look, since then, I'm only using 2 speeds, speed 1 is set for around 50% & speed 2 and 3 are both set at 100%, also I had switched to a 24fet 4115 Zombie controller, Lyens 4110 couldn't handle the 100v and cromotor, but she has been repaired since and is backup. Thanks

As a start before pulling the switch out the housing, I'd just disconnect the switch from the controller at the plug, confirm whihc wire goes to what at the controller end of the plug and manually short the wires to each other.
So assuming he 3 speed wired from the controller is red balck and green, confirm that black is ground, and green and red go to X and X2..then short them to the black one at a time, to pinpoint if it is a controller programming or a wiring issue ...either at the plug or a broken wire.

My 3 speed switch went through a phase of intermittently sticking, it was a very primitive design with a spring (looked almost like a short ball pont pen spring) and a ball bearing. No weather protection either.

Back