Inline fuse with anti spark

gwhy!1

100 kW
Thought I would quickly post this up as it may be of use to some one. The fuse in side the fuse holder can be anything upto around 200A the resistor value is a 180ohms 3w. the link could be a pullable link so it will cut all power to the controller in a emergency and it will shunt the bike power down, it is a lot more compact and much cheaper than using a contactor as a quick disconnect but the batterys do still have to be disconnected when the bike is not in use... This lead is made up with 8awg and 6mm connectors
6mm lead fuse and anti spark link _1.jpg
6mm lead fuse and anti spark link _2.jpg

so the ignition switch of my lyen controller can fail? i like the idea of this one but can i replace the pullable link with a small kill switch ?

No, not in the wiring as pictured..that pullable link is taking thefull battery current to the controller..you could tie a bit of string to it, ..tie on end to the connector..and tie the connector to the frame :lol:

The 6mm connectors can only be connected one way so yes its pretty much fail safe as regards connections, the pullable link do indeed carry the full battery current so it can not be replaced with a small switch as already been pointed out.

6mm Y connector_2.jpg

Interesting, how bad are the sparks for CA and controller? I'm on 12s / 50V LiPo and it sparks alright, should I be putting in the resistor rather sooner than later?

If the controller has a second small + wire that shuts it off is it ok to leave the main batteryline connected and just trigger the small wire with a keyswitch? Only problem is the CA stays on .. Where do you all get your keyswitches from?

hillyterrain said:
Interesting, how bad are the sparks for CA and controller? I'm on 12s / 50V LiPo and it sparks alright, should I be putting in the resistor rather sooner than later?

I'm running 12s Lipo as well and know that it can generate a decent spark. You definitely should add a precharge resistor soon, otherwise it will damage your connectors over time.

can I ask what is the function of the wires in parallel with the resistor that can be disconnected?
what voltage range will 180ohmn suit?
any difference between having the spark arrestor on the positive or negative battery wire ( I see fuse in on positive and arrestor on negative)
thanks

As I already posted previously, the wire parallel to the resistor, with the pull apart connector is the wire that takes all battery current to the controller.

You put the resistor on which ever line you connect last,?so mine is on positive side. Does not matter.

Hi,

I have the latest 2016 crystalyte crown 7kw motor, it runs at 96v with a 96v 75 amp ESC. I am having the spark problem... or in my case... loud sonic boom when i plug the connector in. What resistor size would you suggest??

Ok no one replied, but incase anyone does, and also wants to know if the 180 ohm 3w resistor works with my setup (post above) then it works perfectly fine after using for about 4 days now :)

Tested to 101V. Should be good to ~150V.
precharge.jpg

I use the neat easy to use Hobbyking AS150 anti-spark connectors, resistance is lower (around 5 ohms from memory) but they work fine- I've tried up to 72V (80V fully charged). (1 set is $8.49)

They now have XT90-S Anti-Spark Connectors too - I'd probably have chosen these if they had been available-, 2 sets for $5.07

AS150
42825.jpg

XT90
61690.jpg

Back