How to protect your e-bike tires from flats

knightmb

100 kW
I'm sure many others will have some good ideas. The easiest and cheapest is to go to the local bike shop and buy tire liners for your e-bike. It basically sits between your inner tube and the tire to help prevent any sharp objects from puncturing the tube. I've been many thousands of miles on my e-bike and not once have I gotten a flat. We all know how much of a pain flats are to change on an e-bike. Mainly because we all have to bolt the wheels to the frame (quick release won't cut it a lot of times on these type of e-bikes). I never want to get a flat on my e-bike and the tire liners have certainly made sure it was that way. It's funny when I ride with my bike club, everyone jumps out of the way at the first mention of glass or road debris. I just plow through it on my e-bike and giggle. Yeah, I have to pull the glass and nails out of my tires at some point, but it sure beats being stuck on the side of the road with a flat.

The only downside, if something stabs the tire from the side you will get a flat. But I have yet to see that happen to my e-bike. I'm sure at some point my tube will go bad, but sure beats having to patch it all the time.

Attachments

• tube protector.jpg
    tube protector.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 5,450
I use double tubes, there's a second tube in each of my tires, it's slit open and it sits between the good tube and the tire.
This also protects from pinch flats to a certain degree.

Mathurin said:
I use double tubes, there's a second tube in each of my tires, it's slit open and it sits between the good tube and the tire.
This also protects from pinch flats to a certain degree.

I've always wondered how well those work. Another solution I've seen is those "solid" tires that have no air, just one solid piece of rubber. I've heard those will last forever.

There are both foam inserts and two different types of urethane "airfree" tires. I have not heard good things about the foam inserts, however I have heard the urethane tires ride well and last a very long time.

You can read about them yourself here: http://www.airfreetires.com/

When I ever have the funds I think I will give a set a go. They seem to be ok. The Rainier Aqua Glider High Rebound sounds like what I need - http://www.airfreetires.com/Bicycle/Legacy/26x15HR.html

EDIT: Chrismas Sale at airfree tires !

TWENTY - FIVE PERCENT OFF

Use this code "Santa25" when checking out and get 25% OFF the total order. Buy any four of the same tires and the shopping cart will automatically take 20% off of the retail price, then use the code "Santa25" for even more savings.

If you order bicycle tires you have the option of selecting the free tool and you don't have to send it back.

use the code "Santa25" when prompted by the shopping cart for the coupon code. Give the code to your friends and family.

Note - if someone is interested in these let me know, maybe we can combine orders and save the extra 20% - Dan

@Lessss

If you want an airfree tire contact Hugh at airfree tires I bet he can get what you need just tell him what your looking to do and he will find the answer. - Dan

Yes so as Reid has pointed out using one of Sheldon Brown's pro cyclist rants

Do Not Use Airfree Tires *

* While riding down steep rocky ravines where the impact as you collide and bounce your way to the bottom of the mountain might cause more impact onto a single area of the tire then the rim can tolerate and might bend your rim. Just like with pneumatic tires.

Also those who will be exceding 50mph on wildly curving downhill runs using ultra thin aluminum rims with heavy brake usage should avoid airfree tires.

Bottomline is there are applications which airfree tires would not be the best choice. However for the normal rider on a normal bike looking to avoid the hassles of flats on city streets and other roadways and trails they will and do work fine. - Dan

Hi Dan :eek:

Who here has run those airfree tires yet?
I'm looking forward to user reports too.

Meanwhile, I'll look over the web and see if I can find anecdotal reports,
and find out why none (?) of the regular tire makers offer lines of airless tires. It's sure not a patented idea.

Thanks,
Reid

Why not just go to the airfreetires.com website and just read for yourself instead of posting every page found on the internet from every site that sells an urethane elastomer compound tire.

http://www.airfreetires.com/Testimonials/

I love you posting the $25.99 tool first on your list. Airfreetires.com gives you the tool free with your purchase but feel free to try and find as many rip off sites as you can to back up your opinon of the tires without researching the subject first like I did for many months now.

Just so you know, everyones Goggle works just as good as yours does, if you want to save people time just post the link. :evil:

Back