LCD screen

vax

100 W
Hi again.
I ordered combo LCD meter for my project, but I don't quite understand the speedometer part.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321157077858

"Connecting wire

Speed before pick up the speed of the instrument. If before the instrument is not line speed, can put the LCD meter thick line in motor, the speed of the motor have yellow, green, blue three root thick line, any selected one by one.
Headlight, turn left, the light signal, voltage range of 10-80 - v.
Meters with temperature sensor, no need wiring can display the temperature. Put him in a shows the air temperature in the air, if inside the motor that can detect motor temperature."

Does it mean I can connect speed input to motor phase wire?

I'm not 100% sure but it sounds like it. Let me know how well that thing works! Looks awesome and cost about what I paid for my wattmeter.

I would guess it's looking for a pulse on the speed line from some sort of sensor like a magnetic wheel sensor from a bike computer. You then adjust the pot on the back to get a accurate speed.

Most standard speed sensors use just a magnet and a reed switch. Have not heard of it done using the phase wire.

I'm pretty sure that you can use anything that pulses 5v for the speed input. Try a normal cycle computer wheel sensor. Join one wire to the 5v throttle wire (or any other 5v in/from the controller, and the wire to that speed input, and it should work. I've done that on other displays that required a hall sensor speed sensor.

OK I hooked it to 48V Ping battery today, just for trial.The screen lit up nicely, then I tryed just manually pulsing the speedo wire to +48V wire and it worked - it started to show speed readings.
So, normal cycle computer sensor will do the trick.
There's some extra inputs, that doesn't have a wire and are marked as I to III following some chinese symbol. There's similar symbols at the screen, so I reckon those are the same and can be used for something useful, like showing derailleur steps, regen settings etc.

vax said:
OK I hooked it to 48V Ping battery today, just for trial.The screen lit up nicely, then I tryed just manually pulsing the speedo wire to +48V wire and it worked - it started to show speed readings. So, normal cycle computer sensor will do the trick.
Actually, pulsing it to Gnd would have been my first guess since the picture doesn't identify a +5v pad on the PCB. Might have checked the speed input line with a meter to see if it was pulled high to 5v.

My first impression to your post was "Yikes! 48v to the speed sensor!". But - since it works I wonder if the Vbatt input voltage means that this sentence is saying to hook it to a phase wire (not the hall sensor wire as per CA)?

"Speed before pick up the speed of the instrument. If before the instrument is not line speed, can put the LCD meter thick line in motor, the speed of the motor have yellow, green, blue three root thick line, any selected one by one."

That is such a nice meeter for the price. I wonder how hard it would be to modify to run on 36V.

Vax, can you try it at 36V?

I would suggest you stick with 5 volts, hall sensors are 5 volts. The inputs are usually voltage dividers, you might blow out the input this way. I'm surprised it is using the hall signals, this is controller driven pulses, it would be a ratio of the speed but I can see how it would work. Not an accurate speed meter, but probably close enough. How I read the original eBay link it goes to the phase wires, so maybe the voltage divider is set for higher inputs. If the hall sensors work, then I would stick to the lower voltage.

The second eBay link definitely points to hall sensors. Sounds like it's only Km/h, or else I would consider getting one.

I would guess its connected to a hal wire from the motor
as this is how the Cycle analyst determines speed
when hooked up This way...

KiM

I just jumped on the band wagon.. this little thing is pretty cool for the $$

Anyone know if you can select mph or kph?

kfong said:
The second eBay link definitely points to hall sensors.

Yes, that second one is a different meter, a little more expensive but looks like it will display amps and can select between MPH and KPH also.
Still not for 36V :-(
I emailed the vendors to see if 36V option is available. Waiting reply...

skeetab5780 said:

Talking about the unit in the 1st link: Since there is a pot to calibrate it, I think you could set it for either mph/kph, although the LCD would always read kph...

The first meter, the seller hylbuy said 36V version not available, only what is listed... This has a symbol of a bicycle.

The second meter, the seller angelinvestment2010 said: "hi dear, it is used 40 48-60v ebike, for 36v ebike, we should make a order from factory, how many pcs do you want?
thank you.
- angelinvestment2010"

The second meter has a symbol of a motorbike, so looks to be good for anyone doing a scooter or motorbike build/conversion.

I asked for 2 and also details on how to connect the meter to display amps. I'm guessing it will need an external shunt.

Attachments

• LCD speed volt temp meter.jpg
    LCD speed volt temp meter.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 6,603
  • LCD speed volt amp odo meter.jpg
    LCD speed volt amp odo meter.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 6,603
Functions :
Voltage, speed, mileage accumulation, single mileage, temperature,

sheer off headlight, Resistance to ultraviolet ray, and 30 + 80 temperature range

Connecting wire

Speed before pick up the speed of the instrument. If before the instrument is not line speed, can put the LCD meter thick line in motor, the speed of the motor have yellow, green, blue three root thick line, any selected one by one.
Headlight, turn left, the light signal, voltage range of 10-80 - v.
Meters with temperature sensor, no need wiring can display the temperature. Put him in a shows the air temperature in the air, if inside the motor that can detect motor temperature.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1157077858

Google translation gone bad...

teklektik said:
skeetab5780 said:

Talking about the unit in the 1st link: Since there is a pot to calibrate it, I think you could set it for either mph/kph, although the LCD would always read kph...

Thanks, ya I figured that adjustment pot would get the numbers close. didn't know if you could make it say mph. It seems the $40 dollar one in the other link shows both measurements on the screen.

These are gonna sell out quick

Lol I bought one last night too. This looks like a nice, cheap CA alternative. Certainly not the same but it ought to work for my needs until I can financially justify a CA

For the speedo/odo connection, I think some controllers, like the Ananda used by Currie, have a tap off one of the phase wires. On my Ananda it is the yellow phase and it is a single thin yellow wire.
Some other controllers use a tap off the motor hall signal. I guess it depends how the input to the speedo is configured that was designed to work with that controller.
This controller uses a single green wire output from the controller for the speedo signal. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/36V-48V-...ccessories&hash=item19dc7767eb#ht_4385wt_1010

For mounting the meter you could use some handlebar mounting clamps and an instrument case. Depending on the size of the circuit assembly and any extra switches, etc you want to add, something like this case may work with a a cutout for the display. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PLASTIC-...es_ET&var=&hash=item1e7776ae4f#ht_2367wt_1247
and two of these waterbottle clamps http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12114885...:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_10000wt_1297
If you are handy with plastic, carbon fibre, steel or alloy then make your own custom housing.

The thermometer function will be useful to throw onto a hub thermo sensor :) Looks like a great buy, will go straight into the frame I'm building hopefully

Back