sturdy 26 inch rim recomendations

rbelisle1

10 W
My 5 year old daily commuter build, bent the rear rim. I need to find a new rim and I am looking for suggestions without breaking the bank.... here are the Details;

Bike: Manhattan deluxe flyer 6. steel cruiser bike.

Add on's: welded custom "book" rack from 1/2 mild steel tube. 26 lbs of ping in an aluminum box on the book rack. A set of huge wald paperboy steel baskets on the book rack.(lots of weight on the back end of the bike)

Motor: 3 year old amped bikes motor front drive. (speed about 23 mph)

Ride type: Urban riding over streets, sidewalks etc. 7.5 miles each way to work and back. 15,000+ miles on bike, 12,000+ on motor. I don't jump curbs, but I do on occasion hit a pothole.

back rim is out of round. Not side to side, but up and down. current rim was a steel sta-tru single wall 32 spoke 12 gauge steel spoke.

Any suggestions for a rear rim that will not break the bank??? Aluminum?? steel???

thanks in advance.

What about Mavic XM317 maybe 30$ formerly know as x221?
32 or 36 holes 26" size

Do you use rim or disc brakes?

Perhaps a double walled downhill rim would last better.

What sort of tyre widths do you use?

The 317 is often recommended, but I found it a little thin for my balloon tyres

36 spokes?

Where are you. Not saying usually means the states. Try niagara

I laced on an Alex DM24 and am happy with the results. They're made in Taiwan, though they cost a bit less than SUN Ringle or Mavic. The Alex was recommended by another ES member.

Hard to recommend a rim without knowing what size tire you will be using.

I have been using the inexpensive weinmann DM30 rims have 10K on one pair and over 4k on another without troubles. Disk brakes and 12G spokes cuz that's what I ordered. I run 26 x 1.95 tires and gross bike weight is around 250lbs. These are pinned not welded rims but with all I have put them through I don't see it makes a difference. Sunlight Rhynolite and Mammoth are decent as well.

Back