Lyen controller - GBK PAS connection

Tats

1 kW
NOR Perth, worlds best kept secret, Australia
G'day, E-S experts - Question on new controller and new PAS.

I have a Lyen Mini Monster MKII 3077 with PAS connection (Red, Black, Green) and I have the Greenbikekit split magnet disc PAS with connection (Red, Black, Blue). Connected Red-Red, Black-Black, Green-Blue.

The LED is lit solid when I pedal forward, LED flashes when I backpedal (mounted on left crank). I have no motor power either pedalling forward or backwards when I have the throttle closed or open.

I have flipped the magnetic disc and LED shows the same behaviour, and no power to the motor from the PAS when I send power with throttle. No power from the PAS when I don't send power with throttle. (Edited to make this point clearer)

Am I missing something here with the wiring? or is it looking like I has a configuration option to make in the controller?

Are you sure the hall and phase connections are correct? Remember the colours are almost meaningless when mixing components from different suppliers.

Yeah I wasn't clear if you had throttle working at all.

Try plugging the PAS into the throttle plug? Some can output a linear voltage signal like a throttle rather than pulses.

Thanks Gregory I'll try that - in the meantime the electrical behaviour seems to be this

PAS Red has resistance of 850 Ohms with Blue and 456 Ohms with Black at one point ...... then I spin the crank and..... PAS Red goes open circuit with Blue and Open circuit with Black ...... at all times it is open circuit between Black and Blue.

Controller Red to Black has +4.64v and Controller Green to Black has +4.86v

Connecting Controller Black to PAS Black, Controller Red to PAS Blue has steady LED forwards and backwards (with or without Controller Green connected to PAS Red) - flipping magnetic disc does nothing.

Connecting Controller Black to PAS Black, Controller Red to PAS Red has steady LED forwards and flashing LED backwards (with or without Controller Green connected to PAS Blue) - flipping magnetic disc does nothing.

Confused...

The disc magnets need to be very close to the sensor for these systems to work, so you might ck that.

The first thing is to install the PAS magnet disc correctly. The LED should flash when you pedal forward, so you have to flip it.
Measuring resistance is pretty meaningless because it depends on the position of the hall sensor/s relative to the magnets. Instead, the only thing to check is the voltage. It has to be powered, so connect it and switch everything on, then check between the blue and the black whilst turning the crank very slowly. You should see 5v switching on and off as each magnet passes the sensor. As the LED is flashing, you can be pretty sure that it's OK unless you have a damaged cable. I wouldn't connect the PAS to the throttle because all sorts of strange things can happen with the 5v switching on and off. One thing's sure: you won't get smooth operation.

Assuming the PAS is working, the PAS default delay is 3 seconds. Did you wait that long while you were rotating backwards? You can reprogram it to 1 second.

Thanks Guys, Here is the latest...

Flipping the magnetic disc the LED still only flashes when I backpedal, not on forwards motion - is it possessed or something, wtf?

The voltage when it flashes is +5v on the blue cable (signal I guess) and when off this drops to 0v - so it's +5v/0v on/off. But only in the reverse direction regardless of magnet flip.
The +5v on the blue controller (signal I guess) is probably a resistor connected to the supply to hold the signal high so no drift/spurious noise to trigger the PAS falsely.
When I backpedal for 3 seconds or more the controller doesn't send power to the motor.

Thinking I need to download the controller program and check the parameters - but confused as hell as to why flipping the magnet is not changing flash from back to forward pedal stroke. Bueller, Bueller?

I reckon as this is dual hall pas they must fire in a sequence and the poles of the magnet are irrelevant. If this is true then I've been sent a right hand crank pas which is a problem as I don't have space that side due to a triple chain ring. But, if I turn the pas upside down it should trigger with a forward pedal stroke. I'll try that this weekend along with a controller configuration check and report back.

You have to mount the sensor on the other side of its bracket to reverse its operation. This means that you have to bend the bracket so that it reaches the other way. If the screws are asymmetric, you have to drill new ones too.

Progress! Managed to mount pas sensor on chain ring side. Now flashes when pedalling forward, solid on back pedal-yay!

Spinning the crank a quarter turn 2 or 3 times with my hand, led flashes and controller starts sending power to the motor - all good. But sitting and pedalling doesn't..... Not a squeak of power and no current showing on the CA... :|

Back