About controller and three speed switch...

fesanand

10 W
Hi,

Sorry for the question if is being repeated but I didn't find anything in endless sphere + google search.

I bought this Kit, which I'm really happy with.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cust...or-and-controller-set-bicycle/1957032110.html

I'm just around to build a new bike (frame + forks) with the same motor and I wanted some more power (not speed).
I was thinking to mod the shunt of the controller, to get more push. Casually, checking the controller connections chart I bumped into the "3 speed switch"
Currently I don't have it mounted. I wanted to ask that if I mount the switch I'll get overpower compared with now.

I'm asking that because in the connection chart says literally:

Three speed wire
thin blue wire /Connect to blue and black wire access to overspeed mode.
thin black wire / Negative pole
thin gray wire / Connect to gray and black wire access to lowspeed mode.
Three speed function can be achieved with three speed switch.

That makes me think that I'm riding the bike without withdrawing 100% of the controller potential....

What do you think?

(Apologies for my english)

You are probably running on medium if you don't have a switch installed. You could probably just short it to high if you never want to switch.

I use a 3pos on my CA for limit settings and a 3pos on my controller for low/med/high.

I wouldn't permanently short it without testing first. Based on their wording, it seems like nothing connected is 100% speed mode, and the overspeed will be a higher than 100% mode only to be used on flat ground, because it does result in some system stress and lower efficiency to achieve the "overspeed" which typically adds a few mph to top speed.

The controller ( their item No G-K021 ) comes with a jumper instead of a 3 speed switch. I would say the 3 wire speed switch plug in the picture is ; top wire grey,center wire black,and bottom wire blue.The jumper can be plugged in as in the photo for full speed, or turned around to connect black (negative ) to the grey wire for low speed.And leaving the jumper off will give medium speed.Then they say in effect; or you can get a 3 speed switch in place of a jumper.Check the three speed switch toggle function for center off and that the left/right on positions match their wiring.

There's two different ways that three-speed switches work depending on the controller software.

The first way is that the three positions are programmed to give different maximum speeds.I believe that infineon controllers work like that.

The other way is how I think yours is because they mention "overspeed". With neither wire connected, you get normal operation. With the middle (ground) connected to the left, it restricts the speed (say 25 km/h), with the middle to the right, the controller changes the timing so that the motor will spin about 10% to 20% above what it normally can. You can feel it as a power boost when you switch it on near your top speed, like turbo mode, but it doesn't help with hill-climbing, so best to switch it off for that. You don't need a three-position switch. A single two pole switch is all you need to connect the blue and the black wires. Note that it will only work with a hall sensor motor.

Mine restricts amps
I see ~30a @ high | ~25a @ med | ~20a @ low
The stock gng controller was in around 22a I think. I see roughly the same performance at medium as the stock hardware.
My switch and controller uses a 3 wire. One is power, one is low and one high.

aroundqube said:
The controller ( their item No G-K021 ) comes with a jumper instead of a 3 speed switch. I would say the 3 wire speed switch plug in the picture is ; top wire grey,center wire black,and bottom wire blue.The jumper can be plugged in as in the photo for full speed, or turned around to connect black (negative ) to the grey wire for low speed.And leaving the jumper off will give medium speed.Then they say in effect; or you can get a 3 speed switch in place of a jumper.Check the three speed switch toggle function for center off and that the left/right on positions match their wiring.

That's it , you're right.Now I do remember that there was a jumper... I just need to disassemble the controller and check the connections to see if is the jumper is set for topspeed. I suspect that is already in topspeed mode, as I said before I'm quite happy of the performance of this kit even considering that my battery pack is made of used laptop batteries (not the best C discharge ratio).

Thanks.

Finally I could check the wiring of the controller, and good news: no jumper in the switch, after doing a cable join or splice the motor has this extra strength, thank you very much.
On the other hand I made a small mistake the first day after the extra power. .. I used 10A cable and connectors, the picture below are the consequences. .. fortunately and surprisingly it didn't catch fire or affected the controller. Now I'm using the proper 14 awg cables.
2ilfrpu.jpg

There's two different ways that three-speed switches work depending on the controller software.

The first way is that the three positions are programmed to give different maximum speeds.I believe that infineon controllers work like that.

The other way is how I think yours is because they mention "overspeed". With neither wire connected, you get normal operation. With the middle (ground) connected to the left, it restricts the speed (say 25 km/h), with the middle to the right, the controller changes the timing so that the motor will spin about 10% to 20% above what it normally can. You can feel it as a power boost when you switch it on near your top speed, like turbo mode, but it doesn't help with hill-climbing, so best to switch it off for that. You don't need a three-position switch. A single two pole switch is all you need to connect the blue and the black wires. Note that it will only work with a hall sensor motor.
What if I hook the black wire to both of the other wires at the same time on the three speed wiring harness from the controller?

Back