Eaton APR48-3G 1.8kW Light Compact Charger PSU

Get all your technical information about electric bikes here.
User avatar
notger
100 W
100 W
Posts: 233
Joined: Mar 14, 2013 3:05 am

Re: Eaton APR48-3G 1.8kW Light Compact Charger PSU

Post by notger » Oct 05, 2017 4:45 pm

Hi,

i tried to programm my eaton
everything works fine, reading the eeprom ...

just when i try to open the -hex file in the patc- tool it tells me

Error !
File not open

?
any idea

captain387
100 W
100 W
Posts: 152
Joined: Jul 21, 2011 9:38 pm
Location: Kingston, Ontario

Re: Eaton APR48-3G 1.8kW Light Compact Charger PSU

Post by captain387 » Oct 05, 2017 8:14 pm

Try my steps I posted on page 4, sounds like you haven't converted the file to bin yet.
04 Norco Atomik - Cycle Analyst - Hs3540 - 40amp Infineon Controller - 12s2p 5.8 Ah Turnigy Lipo
95 GT Timberline FS - Converted back to pedal only.

vicens
10 W
10 W
Posts: 96
Joined: Aug 27, 2015 3:08 am
Location: Barcelona. Spain.

Re: Eaton APR48-3G 1.8kW Light Compact Charger PSU

Post by vicens » Oct 07, 2017 4:39 am

notger wrote:Hi,

i tried to programm my eaton
everything works fine, reading the eeprom ...

just when i try to open the -hex file in the patc- tool it tells me

Error !
File not open

?
any idea
in the first tests. he could not file.

If you have the files in my documents they can not be opened.

You put the files in the root of the hard drive c:. and are opened and saved correctly.

User avatar
notger
100 W
100 W
Posts: 233
Joined: Mar 14, 2013 3:05 am

Re: Eaton APR48-3G 1.8kW Light Compact Charger PSU

Post by notger » Oct 07, 2017 5:55 am

captain387 Solution helped me.

I tried to set the Voltage down to 41 Volts just as a Test cause i would need it to charge a 10s Pack.

Sure uploading teh settings to the PSU works but the PSU hast 55 Volt on the output ?
55 Volts would also be teh lowest i could go with the additional trim-pot mod i did ?

? possible Problem.
when i first plugged in the USB-Link i forgot to set the jumper from 5Volt to 3,3Volt.
since the first time no leds on the PSU are blinking or lighting while programming.
But.:
changes are getting accepted so if i write and read the Buffer cahnges are made.

any ideas if i burnt something with my 5Volts that keep the PSU work but not takingeffencting changes ?

vicens
10 W
10 W
Posts: 96
Joined: Aug 27, 2015 3:08 am
Location: Barcelona. Spain.

Re: Eaton APR48-3G 1.8kW Light Compact Charger PSU

Post by vicens » Oct 07, 2017 9:13 am

notger wrote:captain387 Solution helped me.

I tried to set the Voltage down to 41 Volts just as a Test cause i would need it to charge a 10s Pack.

Sure uploading teh settings to the PSU works but the PSU hast 55 Volt on the output ?
55 Volts would also be teh lowest i could go with the additional trim-pot mod i did ?

? possible Problem.
when i first plugged in the USB-Link i forgot to set the jumper from 5Volt to 3,3Volt.
since the first time no leds on the PSU are blinking or lighting while programming.
But.:
changes are getting accepted so if i write and read the Buffer cahnges are made.

any ideas if i burnt something with my 5Volts that keep the PSU work but not takingeffencting changes ?

The usb programer has to be at 5V.

3.3V does not work.

User avatar
notger
100 W
100 W
Posts: 233
Joined: Mar 14, 2013 3:05 am

Re: Eaton APR48-3G 1.8kW Light Compact Charger PSU

Post by notger » Oct 08, 2017 2:43 am

vicens wrote: The usb programer has to be at 5V.
3.3V does not work.
What,............ but look at that picture?

Interesting cause reading and writing the eeprom works fine for me even with 3,3V

Image

vicens
10 W
10 W
Posts: 96
Joined: Aug 27, 2015 3:08 am
Location: Barcelona. Spain.

Re: Eaton APR48-3G 1.8kW Light Compact Charger PSU

Post by vicens » Oct 08, 2017 4:24 pm

notger wrote:
vicens wrote: The usb programer has to be at 5V.
3.3V does not work.
What,............ but look at that picture?

Interesting cause reading and writing the eeprom works fine for me even with 3,3V

Image

to me a 3.3V has not worked for me.

You have to connect the GND to the number 10 of the programmer. If you connect gnd to the number 4 it does not work.

captain387
100 W
100 W
Posts: 152
Joined: Jul 21, 2011 9:38 pm
Location: Kingston, Ontario

Re: Eaton APR48-3G 1.8kW Light Compact Charger PSU

Post by captain387 » Oct 08, 2017 5:21 pm

I checked my usb programmer and it is currently set for 5v, I seem to remember the 3.3v didn't work for me, either.
04 Norco Atomik - Cycle Analyst - Hs3540 - 40amp Infineon Controller - 12s2p 5.8 Ah Turnigy Lipo
95 GT Timberline FS - Converted back to pedal only.

User avatar
notger
100 W
100 W
Posts: 233
Joined: Mar 14, 2013 3:05 am

Re: Eaton APR48-3G 1.8kW Light Compact Charger PSU

Post by notger » Oct 14, 2017 2:13 am

Ok tried it with 3,3 and 5 Volts programming works but no change of teh output voltage.

Maybe its also important to say that i tried it not with an APR but with an EPR-> so the 900Watt Version.

? any ideas if there is a different way to programm them ?

greets

Gernot

User avatar
notger
100 W
100 W
Posts: 233
Joined: Mar 14, 2013 3:05 am

Re: Eaton APR48-3G 1.8kW Light Compact Charger PSU

Post by notger » Oct 14, 2017 12:34 pm

Hi,

if People face problems with EPR (900Watt) oder APR eeprom flashing, i just made some really interesing observations today.

So i was not able to programm my EPR or APR with all the methods that are pointed out here.
So the PSU's were actaully useless for me, thats why i risked to flash teh firmware from the Russian Forum on both devices even knowing that they are different Models (Watt-Wise). http://electrotransport.ru/ussr/index.p ... #msg490810

After flashing the firmware i could programm both devces with the eeprom file added to the .zip file (even without bin-hex converting)

Both devices changed setting like i wanted.

One positive sideeffect was that on the EPR i allready made a Potentiometer-Mod an cutted the OVP-trace.
so iactually wanted a multi charger for my 10s(41 Volt) electric mountainboard, adn for my 15s(61,5 Volt) ebike.

An the APR the lowest programmable Voltage is 43,3 Volts, even though i tried to programm the Voltage to 41 Volts.
What is very interesing now is that on my EPR with the potentiometer-mod it turns out that the lowest possible Voltage is 40,6 Volts.
I tried to programm it even lower to 35 Volts, but 40,6 is really the lowest it would go down.

So i was programming the max Voltage to 61 Volts and the output voltage to 40 Volts on the EPR.
if i turn the Potentiometer from the Highest to the lowest resistance not i have my Multi-Charger for 10 and 15s with 40,6 Volts and 61 Volts output adn all the scale inbetween

I will make the Resistor Mod and OVP-trace-cut on the APR too to see if it will also have the same effect.

Greets

Notger

PS.: so as a conclusion
-the lowest possible Voltage i could set is 40.6 Volts
-the highest would be above 80 Volts (not Sure if teh Caps could handle it with load though)
-i could flash the EPR with the APR Firmware without Problems

(? i'm even not Sure if EPR and APR 900 and 1700Watts are even the same just restricted by firmware, cause inside they look pretty identical)


!!!! and one Open Question to you out there,,, Does anyone know of an Resistor /Potentiometer Mod to control the Output-Current on the APR's ?? that would be amazing

User avatar
notger
100 W
100 W
Posts: 233
Joined: Mar 14, 2013 3:05 am

Re: Eaton APR48-3G 1.8kW Light Compact Charger PSU

Post by notger » Oct 18, 2017 4:28 am

Hi,

Does anyone know if it makes any difference if i solder the red marked area together with my 4mm plug ?
or should i try to keep that littel area unsoldered/connected ?

greets
Notger
PA180422 (Small).JPG
PA180422 (Small).JPG (91.02 KiB) Viewed 265 times
PA180421 (Small).JPG
PA180421 (Small).JPG (112.28 KiB) Viewed 265 times

Craigh85
100 W
100 W
Posts: 155
Joined: Oct 06, 2011 2:04 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Eaton APR48-3G 1.8kW Light Compact Charger PSU

Post by Craigh85 » Oct 18, 2017 9:46 am

Can anyone confirm the APR48 works ok in series with another? I have two I'd like to achieve 93.6v for 26s lifepo4.

User avatar
madin88
10 MW
10 MW
Posts: 2485
Joined: May 27, 2013 2:02 am
Location: Austria

Re: Eaton APR48-3G 1.8kW Light Compact Charger PSU

Post by madin88 » Oct 18, 2017 12:04 pm

notger wrote:Hi,

Does anyone know if it makes any difference if i solder the red marked area together with my 4mm plug ?
or should i try to keep that littel area unsoldered/connected ?
The trace goes to a resistor which is attached to the large area. I guess this is for precharging the caps or something like that (when the PSU get pushed into the computer rack).
It should be no problem if those areas are connected.

User avatar
notger
100 W
100 W
Posts: 233
Joined: Mar 14, 2013 3:05 am

Re: Eaton APR48-3G 1.8kW Light Compact Charger PSU

Post by notger » Oct 20, 2017 7:11 pm

And again the Question:

After successfully finishing a trim-pot-mod I'm able to change output voltage from 40,6 Volts up to >70Volts via trim pot, while i have to change output current via eeprom-firmware mod.

Does anyone know of an current-adjust-resistor(trimpot)-mod ?

It would just be amazin to have a charger (APR or EPR) that i could switch from "calm-gentle-charging" to "high speed-charging" just with a resistor switch or trim pot ?

Any ideas where i could get infos about that possibility ?

vicens
10 W
10 W
Posts: 96
Joined: Aug 27, 2015 3:08 am
Location: Barcelona. Spain.

Re: Eaton APR48-3G 1.8kW Light Compact Charger PSU

Post by vicens » Dec 30, 2017 5:15 pm

Image
Image
Image

after many charges. the copper track of the plate ripped off.

The rear copper track is in good condition.

Do I solder for the cable on the rear copper track to repair it?

vicens
10 W
10 W
Posts: 96
Joined: Aug 27, 2015 3:08 am
Location: Barcelona. Spain.

Re: Eaton APR48-3G 1.8kW Light Compact Charger PSU

Post by vicens » Dec 30, 2017 5:30 pm

notger wrote:
Oct 20, 2017 7:11 pm
And again the Question:

After successfully finishing a trim-pot-mod I'm able to change output voltage from 40,6 Volts up to >70Volts via trim pot, while i have to change output current via eeprom-firmware mod.

Does anyone know of an current-adjust-resistor(trimpot)-mod ?

It would just be amazin to have a charger (APR or EPR) that i could switch from "calm-gentle-charging" to "high speed-charging" just with a resistor switch or trim pot ?

Any ideas where i could get infos about that possibility ?
I would like to know the same thing.

It would be nice to put a two-position lever switch. and you can select 66% and 100% of the load intensity. to be able to switch between normal and fast charging.

Now I have two Eaton charger. configured to 900W and 1800W.

because they are very efficient. efficiency <92% cos of fi 0.99.
Other Chinese chargers less power efficiency 80-86% Cos of fi 0.6 -0.7. It consumes reactive energy.

Post Reply