9 FET INFINEON CONTROLLER. Blown

deano

100 mW
I have two 9 FET IRFB4110 INFINEON CONTROLLERS from http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=38&product_id=80 that have blown.

Please can you supply links or details to Schematics and the method to work through to get them working again?

The reason they have "popped" I have not got a clue. My Electric Bike had been at the local electronic shop for the Motor to be re-wired as wheel came of axle underload. My fault! Did not appreciate the torque of the Motor (lessons learnt. bit tighter now). Got it all sorted. Well tested and smiling, cruised the 5 mile home.

I gets the Bike home, well please, as it has been months since I have been out on the beast. Did some work on the bike whilst the battery's charged up. They was down to 57v and went through my normal charging procedure and was reading the normal 62v.

Connected battery back onto bike. Got the usual arc as I plugged the 20amp socket's.(i know not good practice will relay a switch, but it works). That was it, there was no power to anything. Not to the phase wires or control wires.

Disconnected everything. Put spare 9 FET IRFB4110 INFINEON CONTROLLER to Battery lead. Same again, usual spark when connecting. Then no further connecting sparks. Put meter onto board. Nothing at phases or any readings for 5V system. I can only presume that something has surged when Battery Charging. ? .. So have Discharged battery down to 58V, ready for when the controller is "alive" again

So please my electronic "guru" is asking for a step by step guide to fault find and a Schematic.

There's a reference article on a similar controller here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=44558&start=25

Check for shorts. Most failures result in something shorting.

Open the cover and look for burnt parts.

It sounds almost like the voltage regulators blew, but that would usually take out a bunch of other parts with it.

Are you sure the polarity is correct on the battery? Seems odd that both controllers would blow up like that.

Thanks for the link. That sure is going to help.

I will check for shorts, but all I had connected to controller was the battery pack. Can not see any burnt parts in Controller.
Will also check polarity of battery.
It just seems strange that all was good till I recharged the battery.
Could charging up wrong, cause issues? Would love to get down to the reason, before reconnecting battery.

Controller is at electronic shop, but have checked with photos of a 9 FET INFINEON CONTROLLER and is very similar.

I need to know why? before I connect the battery to the fixed controller what is popping it.

Someone has mentioned "The Battery Management System in a battery can trip when you do that. You should ensure the battery voltage is really present.".
I have discharged battery to 58v Is there anything else I should check? Because I am sure battery will blow controller as I have not found the fault.

Thank you so much for your advice.. Found that short and would not of looked for one if it was not for you.
So she is up and running. The problem I have now is noise coming from the Motor (a Mac) http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=40.

It sounds mechanical. Under-load its like the sound of something catching, like a spoke would sound, that was "busted" and hitting arm, It disappears when up-to speed and is not heard when just throttling with wheel in the air and no load.
Am I right, that one of me Hall Sensors has moved and not giving the right voltage out? as it does disappear once bike is up-to a certain speed (either in 1st and 2nd speed) It is not getting any worse, even after a few days of intense riding, were if it was mechanical, it would have got worse?

dnmun said:
could be a loose magnet dragging if it is making a grinding sound or it could be a bearing.

Its is a constant "click click click" Then disappears when peaking out.

Missing gear tooth?
otherDoc

deano said:
dnmun said:
could be a loose magnet dragging if it is making a grinding sound or it could be a bearing.

Its is a constant "click click click" Then disappears when peaking out.

Could be a disc brake, just rule that out before attributing the noise to the motor.

Thanks for the Tips Chaps.. Tested all the spokes. Took Hydraulic Caliper off and run it.. Noise is still there. Proper "gutted" Got to be a Magnet dropping?. Have rode daily since issue. so will live with it.

Strange thing though. If noise is there and I shut off and then wack throttle open. Noise totally disappears. But nosie will come back after a stop or a slow down.(Im thinking Hall sensors?)

New topic. Need to talk battery s. Shall I start a new Thread?

Could be a loose magnet. Ones I've had let go usually make a really bad grinding noise, but if it stays stuck to the rotor, it might be held in by the neighboring magnets.

Back