BionX hack: non-proprietary battery!

We at Power In Motion / Its Electric are pleased to present an interesting technical project, the removal of the proprietary battery restriction from the BionX systems! This project was initially proposed to us by an electric bicycle enthusiast that wanted to use his BionX bike to travel long distances, but was kept from that ability due to the proprietary design of this system not allowing the use of other batteries.

This is something which we have received feedback about often, ranging from customers desiring to do more long distance riding with their BionX, to those wanting to have freedom in battery chemistry and the ability to purchase 3rd party replacement packs.

A standard BionX pack is very expensive compared to other 3rd party options – the cells of the battery are manufactured in Japan by Sony, sent to Germany and packaged by BMZ, and then sent back to BionX in Canada, each one including a new circuit board! As a result, buying a new battery for your system can cost upwards of double what a 3rd party package can. We understand that they have recently changed their infrastructure in this regard, but it will remain to be seen how this affects prices and options.

View attachment 4

We were excited to work on this project, and are pleased to present the results of our efforts, the ability to unlock BionX for use with other battery choices!

The first thing is to remove the old battery and extracted the circuit board. The circuit board had very basic function of BMS. We discovered that it has a low cut-off voltage of 31 volt. Here is the picture of it.

View attachment 5
Bionx-CircuitBoard [640x480].JPG

With the circuit board, we looked into the possibility of creating a small made-to-fit case to store it, but at the request of the customer, we have simply re-used the original battery case as a housing.

The re wired and now open circuit board is then mounted to a Lexan plate cut to fit, raised up away from the face of the case and grounded through the use of some fiber washers. This allows the circuit board to lay protected within the original BionX case. Due to battery size concerns, the battery will not stay in the case this time around, but the case could be re-used in some cases, with batteries around the size of the original.

circuitboard 2 (Medium).jpg

The original connection ports on the outside of the case will be sealed, and we are using a liquid tight connector in order to keep the whole case very nicely sealed and allow the new wiring to pass through without exposing components.

bionx case (Medium).jpg

The customer who asked us to do this mod for him wanted to ride very long distances. As well as having the ability to use larger capacity batteries of his choosing, we have also obtained a custom battery wire which will allow him to run up to 4 packs in a parallel configuration, giving him extreme range capabilities!

The customer wants to carry the batteries in a back pack, connected to the bike through a coiled power cable. It will allow the flexibility to stretch, then inside the back pack a custom quad wire will be use to connect four lithium phosphate. In Initially, Delphi connectors were planned for use. This was the original propose design.
coiled-cable [640x480].jpgQuad-battery-wire.jpg

But after careful review the Delphi connectors, it is lock and tie connector. If the rider were fall from the bike or have some sort of mishap, he would literally be leashed to the bike with the Delphi. Anderson connectors will safely disconnect in case of an accident.

We were very luck to find a local cable manufacturer that make cable for military and oil and gas companies :D, they can make custom cable from scratch, completely water sealed. Here are CAD draw then they sent back to us. We will show the actual cable in a week.

custom-coiled-wire.jpgcustom-quad-wire [640x480].jpg
The cord which allows this is constructed using a high grade 14g design. Large enough to handle the current, but they are not bulky or stiff. Adding 4 wires together in such a manner is technically demanding.

This all comes together to allow our customer to ride his Bionx bike with a whole new level of potential! He will really be able to handle some long distance with his own customized design, while still retaining the great BionX system.

In the end, we are quite pleased with the results, and the ability to take the closed system design of the BionX and unlock options for further possibility!

- Ken,

Power In Motion / Its Electric

http://us.itselectric.ca

This is exactly what I have been looking for. Long distance with Bionx. What is the cost for this conversion?

I want to understand this. You take out the existing Bionx battery and rework the board. Then I can use the battery and connect 1 or more 3rd party batteries. Will the Bionx charger still work? Can I use it to charge one of your batteries? Will it charge both batteries at once the Bionx and third party. Will the regen still work since you redid the board?

7bobw said:
I want to understand this. You take out the existing Bionx battery and rework the board. Then I can use the battery and connect 1 or more 3rd party batteries. Will the Bionx charger still work? Can I use it to charge one of your batteries? Will it charge both batteries at once the Bionx and third party. Will the regen still work since you redid the board?

Ken just recycled the board so it can be plugged into the after market 36 volt LiFEPO4 batteries. Regen is retained. When I receive the completed pack, I will test & post all the details.

dennis said:
7bobw said:

Ken just recycled the board so it can be plugged into the after market 36 volt LiFEPO4 batteries. Regen is retained. When I receive the completed pack, I will test & post all the details.
Dennis: How did this work. Am interested in doing something like this with my Bionx PL350 but w/only one outboard LiFePo4 battery!

I'm currently using a BionX PL-350 system with Li-Mn 36V battery dated 2008/11/19.
I'm interested in ramping up my top speed and range. Does anyone have experience setting up a series-parallel battery pack compatible with their motor/controller technology (without frying or overloading it)?

We got our custom cable back last week. This is what it looks like:

the coiled wire will plug between the Bionx case and the backpack. This is a very high quality 14G wire, we found that auto lighter or micro phone coiled cable are generally 18 or 20G wire which is under spec.
coiled-wire [640x480].JPG
the quad parallel battery wire will allow the user to plug either one, two, three, etc...batteries configuration.
Quad-parallel-wire [640x480].JPG
Here is the picture with four batteries together with the wire:
Quad-battery [640x480].JPG
We used the EagleTree systems eLogger device to capture the data for analysis.

This project is completed, and ready to ship out to the customer.

Lastly, we also made a video on how-to video on this topic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W58e0mTeiLE

Ken
__________________________________________________________________________________________
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/powerinmotion

Ryusei said:
I'm currently using a BionX PL-350 system with Li-Mn 36V battery dated 2008/11/19.
I'm interested in ramping up my top speed and range. Does anyone have experience setting up a series-parallel battery pack compatible with their motor/controller technology (without frying or overloading it)?

The simple answer is very difficult. Bionx is a integrated system but also a close system. the mosfet are embedded in the motor. You will need to change the mosfet from the motor, see the following video:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=33uCs_awBJk

Ever if you can change the mosfet to support 72v, you still have to figure our the internal communication between the motor/controller and the command console.

The only suggestion I have is to go high speed model such as PL500. It provide much high RPM which will run faster. It is marketed as a new product, but it was originally use in 16" motor. Here is the video, the bionx motor was came from a 16" wheel, and lacked onto the 700c, which give a much higher top speed, but it has no torque at all.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=qlOUqtsNFSI&feature=channel

Other had used PL500 on 20" rim which give a very good top speed and torque at the same time.

Ken

I have a bionx pl350. would this battery work with the mod that you have in series with the bionx battery that I already have.

here is a link to the battery that I would like to use

http://www.ebike.ca/store/photos/B3618MHR2-NX.jpg

tigger

Did the customer pick this up and do you know if he has posted any comments about it.

itselectric said:
We charger $45 to convert the battery, but you need to send us the old Bionx battery. The rest of the cost is a new lithium batteries.

Ken
can you make the bionx battery go 35km @ 45kmh for me?

Hi, is this possible to do on a 26V system?
I have an BionX system on my HP Velotechnik e-trike that i got in april this year..
The 26V battery lasts only for about 18 miles/30km, is this possible for my system to get an longer range on my bike?

best regards Freddy

I just have done it. I put the board bettween the bike and the new battery and the bike gets only 2 km from it.
Once back on the charger, the battery charge for about 30 minutes max.
The charger gets directly to the battery and doesn't go through the circuit board at all.
Is the temperature sensor an issue if it is not connected?

Is there a way to mimic the board?

Back