6-FET, WZK-713C controller, Zhongtian

Hi Pancho –

It is an old thread! :)

Could you take a nice clear picture of both sides of the PCB please? I can try to answer some of these:

1. Unsure; picture is worth a 1000 words
2. Correct on my schematic.
3. Unsure, other than monitoring Phase C.
4. EBS = Electric Brake Switch. Typically this is shorted (pulled-low) to GND to create brake (EBS- pad), otherwise it is pulled high to +5V (EBS+).
5. BK pulled low enables Regen.
6. SL pulled low enables Speed Limit, which is a programmable feature.
7. TB = Alarm. I have not used this, although others have. My preference is a chain lock :)
8. Serial Port for sure; TX = Transmit, RX = Receive. MBC = ?; might be “Reset”. Again – a picture would help. The Serial Port is used to program the device. To program, we’d need to know which MCU was used so the handshake protocol could be defined.
9. CR to GND enables Cruise, which is also programmable. Cruise is rather basic and not at all like cars:
  • a. Hold CR to GND to enable.
    b. Duration of Hold is programmable, typically 1 to 7 seconds.
    c. Throttle releases CR.
    d. EBS releases CR.
    e. Shorting CR to GND again may also release CR. It’s kinda hokey, though beats holding onto that dang throttle for hours on a long road trip.
I sympathize with your struggle amigo.
Mañana, KF

Hi Pancho –
Apologies for the late reply; I was busy last night doing what I do – write code. But now I’m here for you.

Trivia about the PCB:
The FET: http://www.irf.com/part/75V-Single-N-Channel-HEXFET-Power-MOSFET-in-a-TO-220AB-package/_/A~IRFB3607
  • RDS(on) = 9 mOhms!! 75V limit.
    140W (via Digikey)
I don’t know why they bothered to upgrade the caps for this varietal.

The manufacturing date (2010-08-07 stamped on the component-side) of the PCB places it to nearly 6 years old. That might contribute to part of the operation problem; old age and cheap parts.

Programmability: Although the thread suggests it cannot be programmed, knowing what I know now after writing the Windows BT Interface, it’s just a handshake issue. I am 90% certain this MCU was not fused a 2nd time; it just doesn’t makes sense. That said, there is little else information about this short-lived model; Ebikes moved on to another unit shortly thereafter.

Addressing specific items:
1. In this thread we discussed the very same pads. P22 to GND enables Regen. According to Kiwi on Wed Mar 30, 2011:
Kiwi said:
P20 and P21 Are the speed settings. Connect P20 to ground for Speed setting one or P21to ground for speed setting 2 or neither for controller default speed.
3. Pancho, on the Grey wire attached to XC, where does the other end go? Curious.
8. With the 116 MCU, RESET attaches to X3. MBC however attaches to a voltage divider, and on the 116 this goes to C3. Alas – I do not have an Infineon Controller schematic, so I am a bit in the blind. I’m thinking MBC is pulled high to reset the MCU; just a gut feeling from looking at the schematic of the 116. None of this is useful though if we do not know the handshake and protocol. Such an old board; I don’t think anyone on ES cracked this one.

Pancho, Does the controller work at all? Can you tell us a little bit about what it is connected to, motor, type of bike?

Generally, this particular Controller is/was compatible to the Standard of the time which is the same as today for common Chinese controllers:
There should be stub-outs for Throttle, 3-Way Current Control, Cruise, Regen Brake (might be that is a mod on the PCB directly).

With kind regards, KF

Hi Pancho –

Oye, ¿cómo va?

Thanks for the Schematics amigo!
Searching Google on "xc866 controller MBC", I found an Infinion Spec Sheet: "8-Bit SAA-XC866".
MBC means "Monitor & BootStrap Loader Control" and is on Pin-1. The MCU Reset is on Pin-38.

Confirmed on my schematic that XC does connect to Phase-C, although it is not connected. Instead we use an ebike computer called a Cycle- Analyst, and it monitors Halls-C to get speed; just divide by the number of poles in the motor and you have RPS. Much safer than Phase-C :)
I am excited for you. Electric mobility is way cool.

Have you considered upgrading batteries to LiPo? They would weigh less than SLA Panasonic, and are more compact. Just a thought.
Salud! KF

Back