Amberwolf's Raine Trike

Get all your technical information about electric bikes here.
amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Re: Amberwolf's Raine Trike

Post by amberwolf » Dec 11, 2017 11:16 pm

Would've been a good day to do the wood stuff, but before I got started on that I took a look at the SB Cruiser to fix a squeak that has been annoying me for a while (several weeks), only to find it wasn't just a squeak.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 0#p1339930

By the time I was done with all of that repair, it was sunset, and getting chilly (mid-60's F) and dark, and I was very hungry (never got around to eating anything today), and I'm still getting over a head-cold too. So I didn't get antyhing done on the Raine Trike. Maybe next week.

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Re: Amberwolf's Raine Trike

Post by amberwolf » Dec 25, 2017 12:28 am

All frame welding is now done, and the frame is now primered and painted Italian Olive Satin (Raine's color of choice). As a test some of the frame, the wheels (rims, spokes, motor/hubs) and front fork were painted an Olive Drab that is more like a "modern" military olive color, but Raine didn't like that so the other was used on everything except the wheels, which were left as they were mostly because there wasnt' enough of the Italian Olive to completely redo them. (had to save some paint to cover the additional bits yet to be added for the pedal drivetrain).
dsc06923.jpg
dsc06923.jpg (97.83 KiB) Viewed 46 times
dsc06927.jpg
dsc06927.jpg (98.28 KiB) Viewed 46 times

He hasnt' decided if the wood is going to be painted to match the frame, or just sealed/stained, or left bare to age in the weather. Once I get the wood cut and installed, he can see it and make a decision.

I'm still working out the pedal chainline, but the cranks are now finalized. I ran across the old cranks from SB Cruiser (which originally came from Delta Tripper, and some cheap bike before that), and took the BB shell from a junked BMX frame (because these cranks are larger diameter bearings/core shaft than the ones off the kid's bike I started with--though the chainring on them is exactly the same, by whatever chance; the pedals themselves are smaller diameter threaded part than the kid's cranks).

The kid's cranks I had just tackwelded temporarily by the stubs of chainstay I'd left on the BB shell, to get the positioning right, fitting the seat and other frame stuff so it'd be a good reach for Raine.

When I took the BB shell of the BMX, I kept a few inches of downtube and seattube. I cut a notch in the center of the downtube, to fit it around the keel of the trike, and angled the seattube end to fit against the face of the keel below the BB. It's positioned so the center of the cranks ends up where the center of the kid's cranks were.

Then I added the "triangle" like I have on SB Cruiser, partly to strengthen the front end a bit, and partly to have a place to hide some of the wiring/etc in up front. It doesn't have the "toptube" over the lower keel, though, because Raine needs a much lower clearance than I do to step over it.

Also have to make up the wiring harnesses for motor stuff and lighting stuff.

Raine hasn't ordered any of the lighting stuff yet, so I don't know what it will need for mountings.

The dogs were, as usual, pretty bored with the whole thing.
dsc06928.jpg
dsc06928.jpg (76.69 KiB) Viewed 46 times
dsc06929.jpg
dsc06929.jpg (75.01 KiB) Viewed 46 times