Amberwolf's Raine Trike

Get all your technical information about electric bikes here.
amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Re: Amberwolf's Raine Trike

Post by amberwolf » Dec 11, 2017 11:16 pm

Would've been a good day to do the wood stuff, but before I got started on that I took a look at the SB Cruiser to fix a squeak that has been annoying me for a while (several weeks), only to find it wasn't just a squeak.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 0#p1339930

By the time I was done with all of that repair, it was sunset, and getting chilly (mid-60's F) and dark, and I was very hungry (never got around to eating anything today), and I'm still getting over a head-cold too. So I didn't get antyhing done on the Raine Trike. Maybe next week.

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Dec 25, 2017 12:28 am

All frame welding is now done, and the frame is now primered and painted Italian Olive Satin (Raine's color of choice). As a test some of the frame, the wheels (rims, spokes, motor/hubs) and front fork were painted an Olive Drab that is more like a "modern" military olive color, but Raine didn't like that so the other was used on everything except the wheels, which were left as they were mostly because there wasnt' enough of the Italian Olive to completely redo them. (had to save some paint to cover the additional bits yet to be added for the pedal drivetrain).
dsc06923.jpg
dsc06923.jpg (97.83 KiB) Viewed 360 times
dsc06927.jpg
dsc06927.jpg (98.28 KiB) Viewed 360 times

He hasnt' decided if the wood is going to be painted to match the frame, or just sealed/stained, or left bare to age in the weather. Once I get the wood cut and installed, he can see it and make a decision.

I'm still working out the pedal chainline, but the cranks are now finalized. I ran across the old cranks from SB Cruiser (which originally came from Delta Tripper, and some cheap bike before that), and took the BB shell from a junked BMX frame (because these cranks are larger diameter bearings/core shaft than the ones off the kid's bike I started with--though the chainring on them is exactly the same, by whatever chance; the pedals themselves are smaller diameter threaded part than the kid's cranks).

The kid's cranks I had just tackwelded temporarily by the stubs of chainstay I'd left on the BB shell, to get the positioning right, fitting the seat and other frame stuff so it'd be a good reach for Raine.

When I took the BB shell of the BMX, I kept a few inches of downtube and seattube. I cut a notch in the center of the downtube, to fit it around the keel of the trike, and angled the seattube end to fit against the face of the keel below the BB. It's positioned so the center of the cranks ends up where the center of the kid's cranks were.

Then I added the "triangle" like I have on SB Cruiser, partly to strengthen the front end a bit, and partly to have a place to hide some of the wiring/etc in up front. It doesn't have the "toptube" over the lower keel, though, because Raine needs a much lower clearance than I do to step over it.

Also have to make up the wiring harnesses for motor stuff and lighting stuff.

Raine hasn't ordered any of the lighting stuff yet, so I don't know what it will need for mountings.

The dogs were, as usual, pretty bored with the whole thing.
dsc06928.jpg
dsc06928.jpg (76.69 KiB) Viewed 360 times
dsc06929.jpg
dsc06929.jpg (75.01 KiB) Viewed 360 times

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW

Post by amberwolf » Feb 16, 2018 12:34 am

In sorting out the shed stuff (see the old housefire thread) last week, I found the U-joint piece I was considering using as the transfer axle from the pedal chainline in the center to the wheel itself, which is cambered in at the top so it might be easier to align with the U-joint vs a straight (angled) tube.
dsc07142.jpg
dsc07142.jpg (73.1 KiB) Viewed 299 times
Havent built the rest of the chainline pulleys anyway yet, to route the chain down from the cranks, and under the trike to go back to the rear wheel. These will probably be made from ex-rear-hubs, bolted (or welded) to the frame, with old freewheels with pawls removed (so they can be rotated backwards). Considered stuff like derailer jockey wheels or notched nylon/etc wheels, but there will be a lot of tension on these things, and I think I'll get better alignment and quieter

Also put the tiedown cables to be used on the rear corners of the canopy to tie them to the rear corners of the deck frame, so it doesn't wiggle around and eventaully break the thin alumnum tubing.

Still looking for all the old brake bits to put on the rear wheels and frame (front brake is ok but won't be enough in every situation, and with a geared hub it can't be used to regen brake). Found most of my cabling and housing few weeks back when I fixed up SB Cruiser's front brakes, so just have to find all the stuff with salvaged bosses and arms. Pads Raine will have to buy new; I don't have any old ones that are any good anymore (dryrotted or hardened, or just worn out).

Still haven't cut the wood for the seatbox/etc. Gotta get that done, cuz until it's all installed, there's nowhere to bolt the controller/etc to (under the box), or any place to put the switch/breaker, battery, charger, etc. (which all goes inside the box). Until those are installed, can't easily make the wiring harness, as I won't know exactly how long the cables need to be.

Did also find the latches and hinges (not pictured) to be used on the lid. Will probably have a regular padlock and hasp to secure it, since I don't have any more cabinet locks with keys (got a lot of locks from old IBM PS/2 and AT cases, and a lot of keys for same, but none fo the keys fit any of the locks).
dsc07152.jpg
dsc07152.jpg (94.45 KiB) Viewed 299 times

Also harvested a pile of switches of various kinds from a few old aircraft panels a friend gave me years ago, that sat out in the weather for years before I got them. I think they were 737 cockpit engineering station panels; don't recall. No pics of the panels, but here's the stuff I saved (bunches were too damaged to be worth trying to take off), many things were already removed before I got them). Some of these will be used on this trike for lights/etc.
Attachments
dsc07145.jpg
dsc07145.jpg (120.33 KiB) Viewed 299 times
dsc07146.jpg
dsc07146.jpg (79.62 KiB) Viewed 299 times
dsc07147.jpg
dsc07147.jpg (73.19 KiB) Viewed 299 times
dsc07148.jpg
dsc07148.jpg (63.38 KiB) Viewed 299 times
dsc07149.jpg
dsc07149.jpg (65.97 KiB) Viewed 299 times
dsc07150.jpg
dsc07150.jpg (60.79 KiB) Viewed 299 times

Dauntless
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Dauntless » Feb 16, 2018 6:37 pm

Last night I fell asleep reading this post. It just so happened that I was listening to the perfect music for it.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC!
- Arthur C. Clarke

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW

Post by amberwolf » Mar 13, 2018 2:38 am

I got the wood cut and glued and clamped for the seatbox lid. While it's drying, I also drilled the mounting holes for the powerchair seat, and bolted it to the lid, to help hold it in shape (flat) since teh wood itself is warped a bit.

It'll dry like that until I next get the chance to work on it, which could be a while, then I'll mount it to the seatbox frame with a piano hinge. After taht I'll be clamping and gluing in the wood to the rest of the box frame.

While I was clamping it up, I'd kneeled down beside it for a reason I don't remember...because one of the 4-foot-long bar clamps sprang off of it and whapped me upside the head hard enough to make me see tweety birds, and took me probably a couple minutes to regain awareness of where I was and what was happening. No blood, but my temple is probably gonna be all sorts of pretty colors tomorrow morning (it's pretty sore, though not swollen, from about my cheekbone up to the top of my temple, and just at the left edge of my orbit to just behind the rear of my temple).

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW

Post by amberwolf » Mar 20, 2018 1:32 am

Finished up the seatbox's lid with the seat bolted to it--at least, teh wood parts. Still ahve to put the hinges on it and bolt them to the frame, then get more wood cut and installed in the rest of the seatbox.
dsc07284.jpg
dsc07284.jpg (99.89 KiB) Viewed 218 times
More pallet wood processed.

Some of the wood is split, so I have to glue and clamp it flat while it dries.
dsc07275.jpg
dsc07275.jpg (72.86 KiB) Viewed 218 times

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW

Post by amberwolf » Apr 08, 2018 8:45 pm

The seatbox lid (built in last post above) warped diagonally, up at the front left and right rear corners, in the couple weeks or so since then. So I unscrewed and pried off the right side "beam" under it, that holds all the boards together, then sanded that beam's mating surface into a curve opposite that of the warp, then clamped the lid flat to the frame and glued and screwed teh beam back down to it. That's fixed a part of the warp. Have to do the same to the other end's opposite corner, and see if that fixes the rest of it, but won't happen till next weekend most likely.

While it was clamped flat, I also planed the worst of the plank-height differences off, and then belt-sanded most of it fairly flat and smooth, enough to then seal & stain with the same stuff I used on SB Cruiser's wood (since Raine prefers that to painting it).

I also cut, sanded, and tapped / glued into place the boards to fill the front and right side of the seatbox, leaving the thin plywood sheet as the bottom of it screwed into holes drilled into the frame. The sides are glued to that sheet, and to each other. They're glued into the frame, too, but most of what holds them there right now is a fit so tight they had to be tapped into place with a mallet.
dsc07315.jpg
dsc07315.jpg (86.41 KiB) Viewed 173 times
dsc07318.jpg
dsc07318.jpg (74.82 KiB) Viewed 173 times
dsc07319.jpg
dsc07319.jpg (41.87 KiB) Viewed 173 times
dsc07320.jpg
dsc07320.jpg (69.91 KiB) Viewed 173 times

Rough-planed/sanded the surface of those, too, then sealed / stained them the same as the top.
dsc07334.jpg
dsc07334.jpg (90.46 KiB) Viewed 173 times
dsc07343.jpg
dsc07343.jpg (102.18 KiB) Viewed 173 times

Still have to make the left end and the back, and then install the hinge and lock on the seatbox lid.

Controller is now mounted, just right of the main keel, under the seatbox. Started running wiring for some of the controls/etc, but didn't get very far yet. Just enough that the wires are connected and partly tied down, and the trike can be ridden.

Pedal drivetrain is still not designed and built. :/

Some comparison pics next to SB Cruiser, with some magneically-0attached lights I used on the around-the-block test ride:
dsc07321.jpg
dsc07321.jpg (81.43 KiB) Viewed 173 times
dsc07322.jpg
dsc07322.jpg (76.78 KiB) Viewed 173 times
dsc07323.jpg
dsc07323.jpg (89.31 KiB) Viewed 173 times
dsc07324.jpg
dsc07324.jpg (71.75 KiB) Viewed 173 times
dsc07325.jpg
dsc07325.jpg (70.01 KiB) Viewed 173 times
dsc07326.jpg
dsc07326.jpg (67.74 KiB) Viewed 173 times

Assorted other pics
Attachments
dsc07327.jpg
dsc07327.jpg (40.49 KiB) Viewed 173 times
dsc07329.jpg
dsc07329.jpg (44.51 KiB) Viewed 173 times
dsc07330.jpg
dsc07330.jpg (39.67 KiB) Viewed 173 times

1JohnFoster
1 kW
1 kW

Post by 1JohnFoster » Apr 09, 2018 2:15 am

Epic build Amberwolf!
Congratulations on making it this far. Wish I had your determination.
How does it handle?

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW

Post by amberwolf » Apr 09, 2018 2:08 pm

It's actually ok so far, though with the wimpy little geared motor ;) and it's tiny sensorless controller that takes time (and banging noise) to determine which way is forward every time you apply throttle, it doesn't take off real instantly from a stop, despite being much lighter than SB Cruiser.

The seat is at least 40lbs, maybe 50, so it probably weighs as much as most of the frame. :lol:

As long as I'm at lowish speeds, 5MPH or less, I can make a complete circle turn in something just over the length and-a-half of the trike I think it is.

Can make regular right and left turns on streets at at least 12-13MPH before it gets tippy, which is pretty good, though not good enough yet. I think I can do better once the rest of teh permanent stuff is mounted, which will add some weight low and to the sides. But once the canopy is completed, it's going to make it an issue when it's windy in the wrong directions.

Hasnt' been taken out in real traffic yet, until it gets ligths and turn signals / etc., and good brakes (still using the pads that probably came with the Velcro Eclipse's base bike when it was made in the 80s or 90s, so they're just little chunks of rock rubber; cuz that's the fork I'm using on the front).

As for my determination...well, nobody makes what I want / need, so if I don't make it myself I won't have one. And I can't afford to pay someone else to do it (or I'd probably contract out a lot of stuff cuz I'm just not very good at it).

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW

Post by amberwolf » Apr 25, 2018 2:41 am

The seatbox is complete, including latches and lock and hinges.
dsc07370.jpg
dsc07370.jpg (75.3 KiB) Viewed 38 times
dsc07369.jpg
dsc07369.jpg (78.55 KiB) Viewed 38 times
The traction battery and lighting battery are mounted, held in place iwth blocks of wood screwed to the seatbox panels (same way I did it on SB Cruiser), and the charger is mounted above the traction battery (seatbox lid must be left open to charge), and breaker/switch/shunt (for CA if I put one on for testing purposes) are mounted and wired in.
dsc07368.jpg
dsc07368.jpg (76.79 KiB) Viewed 38 times
Since Raine hasnt gotten any lights or mirrors / etc yet, I temporarily pulled all the stuff of CrazyBike2 to put on this trike, since if I redo CB2 Id want to rewire and remount stuff anyway, as CB2 was really a disaster for wiring :lol: from all the changes and experiments over the years.

I got the lights physically mounted, and started wiring up the front stuff, but all I got working so far was the headlight. Even that took more than it should, because the switch Id used for years on CB2 just fell apart when I was putting the nut on it to attach it to a plate on the trikes frame, so I had to dig out another siwtch, which wont fit in that plate without drilling a bigger hole.

However, the Makita battery powered drill/driver had chosen the day before to have its clutch (presumably) fail. (it spins with no load, but even a finger on the chuck will stop it, though the motor and gearing inside still sounds normally spinning). Thats the only chuck on a working drill (besides the lathe or the drill press) that will hold a bit bigger than 1/4 inch diameter. The new switch is about 1/2 inch diameter for its threaded area. I could file the hole out with a round file, but decided to just ziptie the switch to the frame since this si all temporary anyway, till Raine decides what lights he wants and gets them.

I dont know why, but the turn signal blinker doesnt work. Wired it up the same way as on SBC, but no output. Popped the cover off and see no corrosion from water ingress, or any other visual issues; maybe have a poke around in it with a meter later.

Also, I think the (3-4 decade-old) turn signal switch has failed inside on the righthand signal position (the left works), as wehn I connect the common directly to power and switch, it doesnt light up the righthand front singal but the left does. If i hook up the righthand signal directly to power it does work. Continuity is fine between signal and switch wire, so that leaves something with the switch most likely.

Ill get back to it tomorrow, and wire up the rear stuff, then see about getting a new flasher unit and replace the switch with a toggle (or rocker) if have one laying around that will fit it. THen at least itll all be wired up, and once a blinker is installed, itll be ready to go. In the meantime I can jumper across the power and output pins of the blinker spot, so that the signals can be flashed manually by toggling the signal switch repeatedly.

Progress is progress.

eCue
1 kW
1 kW

Post by eCue » Apr 25, 2018 10:33 am

I have a few plastic boat seats that would work well for a trike seat. One has a padded waterproof seat with half backrest that folds down the other is the cheaper one piece molded variety with backrest. The one piece could be covered with closed cell foam covered in marine vinyl.

The seats weigh 5 to 7 lbs each the one piece costs around $20 $30 or $5 - $10 used.
Molded race seats can be found cheap as well. Something light would suit the bike.
Solar charge station on wheels join the Revolution

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW

Post by amberwolf » Apr 25, 2018 9:37 pm

Already has a comfy seat Raine likes; see previous posts for pics and details.

I got the wiring finished today, although I kept running into problems, most of which I kept creating for myself with stupid mistakes.

Everything is mounted now, and ready
dsc07371.jpg
dsc07371.jpg (106.56 KiB) Viewed 19 times
dsc07372.jpg
dsc07372.jpg (118.47 KiB) Viewed 19 times
dsc07373.jpg
dsc07373.jpg (111.96 KiB) Viewed 19 times
dsc07374.jpg
dsc07374.jpg (130.1 KiB) Viewed 19 times
headlight is one bolt on a tab so it can be bent and truned to aim it
dsc07375.jpg
dsc07375.jpg (78.22 KiB) Viewed 19 times
wirin is a tied up rats nest like sb criser in the front triangle, still to be hidden by wood panels someday
dsc07376.jpg
dsc07376.jpg (107.65 KiB) Viewed 19 times
dsc07377.jpg
dsc07377.jpg (111.95 KiB) Viewed 19 times

First, I found the turn signal switch wasnt bad, just that Id mixed up the light blue right turn signal wire with the pale green horn wire, probably because the light from the main yard light is greenish and made them look similar. :/ Or because I was tired and got stupid, dunno which.

Then I somehow mixed up the wires for the brake light and right turn signal when wiring to the rear ligth cluster. :? I have been making a diagram with each wire labelled as I go, and STILL mixed those up.

Once I got all the wiring fixed, I thought, heck, why not just try the turn signal unit again, and bam--it works too. I ahve no idea what I did with its wiring last night that kept it from working, but it does now.

The last thing I messed up I didnt notice until Id taped up and ziptied down all the wiring harnesses, but its minor enough Ill leave it for now: the light switch on the handlebar control for hi/low beam is used instead for turning the power to all the lights (except headlight, which has its own toggle siwtch down on the frame like SB Cruiser). My mistake is that somehow I wired the turn signal power to be always on (to the wrong side of that switch). Since the blinkers dont take power unless theyre on, it doesnt really matter. But its yet another annoying mistake.

since the left rognt turn signal cover is missing (broken years ago) I taped three pedal reflectors over it
dsc07384.jpg
dsc07384.jpg (84.33 KiB) Viewed 19 times
dsc07385.jpg
dsc07385.jpg (71.29 KiB) Viewed 19 times
dsc07386.jpg
dsc07386.jpg (92.57 KiB) Viewed 19 times
dsc07387.jpg
dsc07387.jpg (93.67 KiB) Viewed 19 times
The rest of the styrofoam is now also installed inside the seatbox, so other than bolting the seat back onto its lid, its complete.
dsc07378.jpg
dsc07378.jpg (56.78 KiB) Viewed 19 times
dsc07379.jpg
dsc07379.jpg (98.92 KiB) Viewed 19 times

I also put an old snuggy from a dogfood manufacturer (handed out at work a few years back) on as a temporary canopy cover, until Raine decides what to use and makes it. Its ugly, but functional.
dsc07388.jpg
dsc07388.jpg (109.84 KiB) Viewed 19 times

Touched up some welds, ground some edges smooth, etc., touched up some paint here and there. Kirin suprficed all day long
dsc07393.jpg
dsc07393.jpg (84.88 KiB) Viewed 19 times

needs new brakepads
dsc07381.jpg
dsc07381.jpg (69.97 KiB) Viewed 19 times
dsc07382.jpg
dsc07382.jpg (65.88 KiB) Viewed 19 times
All thats really left is the pedal drivetrain. I got the box of parts out that Ill be using for it, but thats about all I managed for today.

so now its a two trike bikeport on the back porch
dsc07400.jpg
dsc07400.jpg (87.06 KiB) Viewed 19 times
dsc07398.jpg
dsc07398.jpg (88.83 KiB) Viewed 19 times

eCue
1 kW
1 kW

Post by eCue » Apr 26, 2018 3:30 am

amberwolf wrote:
Apr 25, 2018 9:37 pm
Already has a comfy seat Raine likes; see previous posts for pics and details.

I seen the previous post
Solar charge station on wheels join the Revolution