Can I fit a PAS sensor on a Sram X5 crankset?

rg12

100 kW
Hey Guys,

This crankset doesn't seem that it has a gap that will allow to fit a PAS sensor.

I tried to disassemble it without luck.
In order to disassemble I took the threaded dust cap of the right hand side of the crank arm and then tried to unscrew the 8mm allen screw, but that screw doesn't move at all even after spraying some WD40 in there.
I grabbed the 8mm allen wrench with a big pipe wrench to get some leverage and the damn thing wasn't moving! I was bending the 8mm wrench!
Then I looked at it and said to myself, where is the pas sensor going to sit anyway? there is not gap between the bike and the crank arm like you see in cheap bikes.

If it were me, I might glue some magnets to the crank with marine epoxy. Is the crank aluminum? Then the PAS magnets should work, but if it's steel you might need something bigger or need to mount the sensor closer.

Ah. I just remembered. Someone already did this, He cut the whole disk apart and glued the pieces to the crank, so the magnets didn't sit on steel .

docw009 said:
If it were me, I might glue some magnets to the crank with marine epoxy. Is the crank aluminum? Then the PAS magnets should work, but if it's steel you might need something bigger or need to mount the sensor closer.

Ah. I just remembered. Someone already did this, He cut the whole disk apart and glued the pieces to the crank, so the magnets didn't sit on steel .

I don't really know if it's alluminum or not, anyway, I can't open the damn bolt so I guess I will try the gluing thing or drop the PAS idea altogether...

If the problem stuck bolt is not resolved or anyone has this issue in the future you can buy a set of socket allen keys they can be expensive but work exceedingly well .

$_58.JPG

Back