Mobipus Controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohbse

10 kW
Not a huge amount of information on the ES boards about Mobipus controllers, but they're becoming more available and are very impressive.

Two models currently available from SamD from ballaratebikes.com - the 72200 and the 72600. As the names suggest, these are 72v nominal controllers capable of 200a and 600a respectively. Unlike Kelly controllers, this isn't referring to phase amps but battery amps. Phase amps are limited to approximately 350a.

When compared to the common Sabvoton 72v 150a controller it's very favorable, less than half the volume, less weight, more power, much better software, better support, more safety and features. Superior connectors, better build quality and comparable price, though much cheaper than the Adaptto or Kelly options.

I'm now running a 72200 on my DH Comp with a QS 205 50 V3 3.5T in a set of 17" wheels with Heidenau K56 tires, 20s 12p of Samsung 30q cells for about 2.5kwh. Currently configured to about 300 phase/180 battery and it really hauls ass while being exceptionally controllable.

Is anybody else out there running a Mobipus controller?

What are you running for a display? And are you running no bms? These things look the buisness, just not alot of info availible yet. I am hoping this could be an adaptto replacement

These are awesome. Sam posted a vid on how to use a tablet as a display. From memory I think a Windows phone would work.
The configuration capability looks as simple or complex as any user would want.

So I have one of the unlocked 200A controllers and I was wondering if anyone has taken it to the 200A max?

devmanner said:
So I have one of the unlocked 200A controllers and I was wondering if anyone has taken it to the 200A max?

I have run 180a bursts without issues (other than it being ludicrously quick)

I've got it set up with an external shunt CA like I did with the Sabvoton, works great. The aux pin is configurable for many things, I've enabled it to do speed output.

Plan is to build a micro PC with a 5-6 inch OLED display in a decent housing to run the dashboard

Glad to hear it Ohbse.

Here's a video overview of the two different products.

https://youtu.be/_zL8zXFmEbI

Obhse, can you post a few pics of your set up with the cycle analyst? Also of the 7220 all wired up? I have seen a few vids and really like these things

Sam I must have missed part of the video last time I saw it, didn't realize those Mobipus controllers is open source, that is great news. Also the sharing of config files is just bulls eye. Now we are talking. The Mobipus is already packing a lot of features people have been asking Adaptto to add for years now without much feedback from Adaptto. Here are a new controller that will listen to customers, are open to changes and feedback from their customers and they got the hardware to back it up. I really think these controllers got a shot at being the go-to-controller, the de facto controller for the diy market. Also the freedom to use your favorite motorcycle throttle right out of the box is a great thing.

Think of the ease of use if you got a motor that already got a great setup for the controller. When your new Mobipus arrives just upload a pre adjusted config file for your motor, or even better maybe sam stacks a library of config files as more and more users switch to Mobipus and if you pay a little extra sam can preload the correct config file to the controller for you. Then all it takes is just to bolt on the controller on your bike and hook up the cables. Boom, you are ready to ride and you know your ride will be smooth with a well proven setup for your motor.

Look forward to see more people report back on these controllers.

[strike]Only thing missing I think is android/linux dashboard, let me know when that is available.[/strike]
I think I might even even ban my principles and consider running windows because of all the features and wonderful dashboard. :)

That dashboard is super trick. That is what controllers need these days. Blue tooth to a modern big screen phone or small tablet and that would be perfect.

Tom

Thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these. Can anyone tell me how water resistant it is?- does it need to be mounted in a waterproof location or can i run a qulbix style controller shield? Has anyone used the 72200 to spin up a QS273? Hopefully someone may have some answers :?
Edit manual says IP65- probably as good if not better than adaptto

This is an electric scooter/motorcycle controller, and it is fully potted for the ultimate in water-proofing. I would smear liquid tape over the connections after I installed it and had verified that it was working properly.

Sigh.... even the 72200 wont fit under the nyx without looking rediculous. Made up a dummy out of cardboard and just couldnt het it to work, even with a custom controller shield. Right now i am wishing i went for the raptor :(

Quokka said:
Sigh.... even the 72200 wont fit under the nyx without looking rediculous. Made up a dummy out of cardboard and just couldnt het it to work, even with a custom controller shield. Right now i am wishing i went for the raptor :(

Really? 120mm width isn't too bad and is significantly smaller than almost everything else available at this point other than infineon trash and Adaptto.

You can't mount it internally?

Does ballaratebikes ship outside of australia?
My kelly KLS just died on me and I'd really like to get one of these, I'm working on a display for my bike that runs full version of windows 10 on a raspberry pi size computer, and having a dashboard like that would be pretty sick.

120 plus that funny plug- i am estimaimg 140 wide. Do you know the real world dimensions? Internal wont heatsink through the carbon fibre. Will give it one more shot over a few stubbies tonight

Edit. Can make it fit.. also found this bms that may be a good match?

http://www.bestechpower.com/777v21spcmbmspcbforli-ionli-polymerbatterypack/BMS-D170V1.html

Schlafmutze said:
My kelly KLS just died on me and I'd really like to get one of these, I'm working on a display for my bike that runs full version of windows 10 on a raspberry pi size computer, and having a dashboard like that would be pretty sick.

The man behind the Ballaretbikes site is samD here on the forum. PM him and I am sure he will ship anywhere in the world as long as you cover the shipping. He got some amazing custom frames too, frames that look just like a DH bicycle. So you can do stealth riding while having a super light and well performing ride even when things get tight on single tracks, or in the woods or urban area.

Schlafmutze said:

He sure does.. I'm not in Australia.

Funnily enough I'm also working on something similar, 7 inch touch display connected to a Lattepanda, so all settings/dashboards/datalogging etc can be run right on the bike with permanently connected serial comms to the controller. Currently in the process of drawing up an enclosure to mount on the bike. For now the external shunt Cycle analyst is working great though. As with most of my projects though it's probably going to be going far slower than I would like, at least until I potentially change roles for something less full on.

As a general update, I'm very, very happy with this controller. It's a properly engineered piece of power electronics with functional software that you can purchase for a very affordable price. Power density is awesome, perhaps second only to the Adaptto Max-E in this size bracket, however the Adaptto is twice the price and I've already blown up 4 of them - I don't see this dropping dead any time soon. There is a wealth of hidden settings and has the ability to be tuned very precisely to your specific motor. I've got to change out my Circuit breaker for something more suitable (currently running a 63a AC unit, it doesn't pop on 180a bursts but still makes me nervous) and do some more motor setting tweaks before I get it on a Dyno and see what it's really laying down to the tire.

I've got my regen currently set up for 'slip' regen when off throttle, with a much stronger setting configured on my left lever via a switch. I've also got a pressure transducer off the left master cylinder which does work beautifully, but only within a limited range - I need to tweak the signal out of this to make it a completely seamless rear brake replacement. I frequently commute the 20 odd KM to work and never actually touch the physical brakes with 95% of that just being from getting off the throttle. It's very 'tesla' like in that regard.

What is the continuous and peak power capability of the 72200, and what is the phase current limit ?
If 200A is the battery current it means 72V*200A = 14kW, but for how long with a good cooling ?

EDIT: from http://www.mobipus.com/mc-p4.html it seems that it is 100A continuous and 200A peak

Is it possible to have internal pictures, transistors reference and number ?

I am looking for a controller easier to program than the Sevcon for a motenergy motor to put on ATV.

romelec said:
What is the continuous and peak power capability of the 72200, and what is the phase current limit ?
If 200A is the battery current it means 72V*200A = 14kW, but for how long with a good cooling ?

EDIT: from http://www.mobipus.com/mc-p4.html it seems that it is 100A continuous and 200A peak

Is it possible to have internal pictures, transistors reference and number ?

I am looking for a controller easier to program than the Sevcon for a motenergy motor to put on ATV.

I do not have any of the internal info you're after, however it sounds like you've found the 'continuous' rating. I believe it would run continuously with more than 100a if cooling was sufficient. You may be better served by the larger model, the 72600 - this will do ~3x the ratings of the smaller unit from what I've seen.

Phase amps on the 72200 are specified at 350a. I haven't pushed beyond that.

Thanks.
3 times the ratings but 3 times the price :wink:

There is a 72300 in their website, I am not sure if it really exists but it may be good enough for my usage and also for you jansevr.

For almost the same cost of the 72200 (but with less functionality) there is the APT AE96600 that is capable of 200A and 600A phase amps

jansevr said:
Is there anything in between these two controllers? I'm very interested in the 72200 but am slightly disappointed it isn't more power as my current controller is already 14-15kw peak. At the same time it is hard to justify the extra expense for a 600a controller if I only need 3-400 max

I would say you would probably get a lot more security if you run the bigger 72600. First of it is water cooled. Second you are not constantly running the controller on the edge of what it can take as you might do with the smaller 72200.

If share bang for the bucks is what you are after and you don't need fancy graphics out of the box the 380$ controller APT 96600 as mentioned will be a good choice. The APT 96600 also got can bus if yo fancy harvesting data for a display or data logging.

As you mentioned ATV I would guess there will be less of an challenge to find room for the rather large APT 96600. Also for an ATV you should aim for more then 15 kw, as 15 kw is somehow of a sweet spot for e-bikes but might be less then optimal for use on a ATV. Btw there is a 35-40kw+ DC28 motor clone or the way that might work well for ATV use. Check with member samD he got more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back