How to set hall throttle to zero when closed

imiliano

1 µW
Hello. hall effect throttles usually give about 1-4 volts. Some motor controllers were programmed to start at closed throttle and with pot throttles it is 0 volts.
I do not know of any way to reprogram the controller and wanted to replace a pot thumb throttle with a hall effect one. is there a simple an easy way to set hall throttle to zero without any additional buttons or switches? Adding a resistor may do the trick but then it will lower the voltage at the fully open throttle as well. or is it easier to buy a pot twist throttle like magura... (or any other suggestions for under $50 ?)
My motor and a controller is from TidalForce m-750x
thank you for any help.

The only "easy" way I know of would be to use an op-amp or a transistor circuit to scale the voltage from the 1-4v hall output to the 0-5v pot output.

It would probably be easier to just use a pot throttle, if you don't have the electronics experience to build the scaling circuit. The circuit design should be fairly simple, and can probably be found in the basic-circuit sections of electronics-teaching sites via google:

This one has too much math for me, but maybe you can handle math (I'm terrible with it):
http://www.symres.com/files/scalebias.pdf
but page 16 shows an op-amp circuit that I think would do what you want, and page 17 a simpler way of doing it (but you'd have to change the scaling by changing the resistor ratio so it isn't 1K and 9K, but instead whatever ratio you need to change from a 3V range to a 5v range).

imiliano said:
Hello. hall effect throttles usually give about 1-4 volts. Some motor controllers were programmed to start at closed throttle and with pot throttles it is 0 volts.
I do not know of any way to reprogram the controller and wanted to replace a pot thumb throttle with a hall effect one. is there a simple an easy way to set hall throttle to zero without any additional buttons or switches? Adding a resistor may do the trick but then it will lower the voltage at the fully open throttle as well. or is it easier to buy a pot twist throttle like magura... (or any other suggestions for under $50 ?)
My motor and a controller is from TidalForce m-750x
thank you for any help.

I'm not sure if you want to switch from a thumb throttle to a twist throttle or not, but it would not be easy to add a hall effect throttle to the TF bike you have (IMHO). It would be easier to get a Magura twist throttle and splice it into your thumb throttle wires.

Back