ebike homemade spokes

Pegasus195

100 mW
every hub motor ebike requires a special length spoke. Sometimes we can buy it directly from the company/manufacturer, sometimes we can ask a capable bike shop to cut a normal bike spoke, and thread them. Does anybody here know how to thread these bicycle spokes after I "customly" cut the spokes accordingly to my rim size preference. I hear there is an expensive bike spoke winder, but I think it's too high for my budget. Can I use some kind of traditional screw threader like the m3 or m2 sizes? Has anybody done this?

spoke threader:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hozan-C-700-Spoke-Threader-14-and-15-Gauge-/122633028267?hash=item1c8d7f82ab:g:ZZ4AAOSw3ZNZcnYK

Short answer is no. The spoke threader rolls/presses the threads on and a cutter removes material.. Removing material will just give a weak point and the spoke will fail.
A spoke works through tension like a guitar string and cannot have a weak link. When a spoke has the threads rolled on the material is displaced and the threads actually GROW larger then the spoke at the peak of each thread so cutting will make a smaller loose thread also.

I use just the threading head. I grip the spoke in a Mole wrench and then wind the thread-roller by hand. It's not ideal because it doesn't always get a good start to the thread, but it works. I've built several wheels with spokes that were threaded using that method , and I've repaired several wheels that had a broken spoke or two. It's very quick to cut down one of my spare longer spokes and re-thread it to get the length I need for such a repair.

The bit that clamps into the vice and has a handle to turn is very pricey. I thought about plastic printing one or using the mount that that turns my old black and decker drill into a bench grinder.

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

There are instructions to modify this to be used with a drill for much faster operation. Exercise your Google Fu

Back