Best ebike controller to interface with as a developer?TX/RX

Hey. I am new here and after a few days of research on the web, I realized that this forum is de facto the best place for technical people when it comes to electric powered vehicles. Thought you guys might be able to help me!

I recently got an ebike that has a Chinese controller and LCD display.
There is literally zero documentation for them. No schematics, no data sheet.
I want to connect an Arduino/Raspberry Pi between the controller and display, so that I can consume the data from them and also send it to them, the way they already communicate with each other.
So for example, when the controller sends the speed to the display, I want to consume that data and be able to display it on my phone for example. It needs to be consumed by my own microcontroller.
I am not looking for a programmable controller, as these seem like an overkill to me.

So I'm looking for a controller that has this features:
1) Suitable for a 36V battery (250W).
2) Has good data sheets and schematics provided by manufacturers (if I need to get a "higher end" Chinese one, that costs a bit more, that is not a problem).
3) And most importantly: The communication protocol and commands (either bytes, hex, plain text, I don't really care) are either provided by the manufacturer, or the community managed to "crack"/"analyze" it and has documented it.

TLDR; Assume I want to build my own LCD display. I need a controller that has its communication methods fully exposed to developers.

Thank you guys! You rock!

There are no cheap controllers I know of with documented-by-manufacturer communications.

ASI's BAC series might, but they are not an easy-to-use plug-and-play controller, you have to go thru a fair bit of work to setup each motor you want to use with it, according to reports here on ES it can be quite frustrating.

BionX uses CANBUS, IIRC, and I think Sevcon does, too, but I don't know if either of them provides the details of how they format their data/etc. Methods here on ES has some threads that document some Sevcon stuff, but I don't know if it includes what you're after.

If you look around on ES there are a few threads about the serial protocol of at least one controller series.

One possible search:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=protocol&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

arielweinberger said:
I want to connect an Arduino/Raspberry Pi between the controller and display, so that I can consume the data from them and also send it to them
The display communication protocol of almost all "china-displays" (Kunteng, Kingmeter, Bafang) are well known and already implemented in an open source arduino project. Is is well documented in the german forum.
The source code can be found at github.

Perhaps this project is intersting for you as well, (schematics included :wink:):
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=87870

Regards
stancecoke

I need SOC of the Bafang C01.340.UART battery all the time. I would like communicate with Bafang Battery Smart BMS via UART. Could you please suggest me the pin diagram of the Bafang C01.340.UART battery UART as well as communication method with arduino. Thanks .

Back